iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hours on a skidsteer

Started by True North, April 14, 2010, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

We are looking at a New Holland 885 skidsteer.

One has 6000 hrs on it, and another has 3000 hrs on it.  We could get the 6000 hrs for about $8,500, and the 3000 hrs for about $12,000.  What do you do?  What things go wrong with these? (hydrostats, pumps, etc???)

ladylake

I'd go with the 3000 hour one, 6000 might be pushing the life of the engine but it might last 10000 hours.  The drive motors went out on my 75xt at 2300 hours, they were a weak design and Case came out with a upgrade kit which the dealer installed free as I just bought it then.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

stumpy

Just some thoughts.  Hours are important, but condition is critical.  What were the histories on the machines.  Farm use can be tough due to the manure.  It really rusts a machine.  In general, I'd take a high hour machine from a landscaper vs. a low hour machine from a farm, concrete outfit or the worst, a foundry.  That's not to say these are bad businesses, it's just that the type of use is typically harder on the machines.  I've only owned the older models of New Holland.  A 555 and a 785.  Both great machines.  I've noticed the LX series such as the 565, 885, tend to be less popular and lower price.  I don't know why.  Maybe someone else can answer that.  I do think that, for $12000 you could probably find a decent LS 180.  That seems to be the most popular model.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

woodpeckerlips

the 885 is a big powerful skidster.  i'd beware of one with 6000 hrs.  if your looking at the 6000 hr one, i'd suggest you have a mechanic go over it.  pulling the side sheilds, ect.  the parts are very exspensive. drive motos, turbo's, injection pumps, control valves.   this is where you spend all your money. rebuilding the motor and repacking cylinders is cheap in comparison alot of the time.    look at the pins and bushings. look for welds around the shoulders on the lifting boom.   6000 hrs is alot. if someone just used it for material handling and light duty then it might be alright.  if, like alot of people i know, tried to use it like a D-8, hunching trees over and clearing small lots,  i'd be very cautious!   my freind has one. he's bent the 2 front cylinders twice and had to replace them.   the 885 has alot of hyd power.  easy to turn up the fuel on them too!   you just have to use common sence and not abuse them and they'll last along time.  with all that said, the 885 is one of my favorite skid steers.  i'm using a track bobcat 864G.  it"s about the same hp as the 885. i can go with the tracks better. but i think the 885 is stronger and faster. maybe thats why mine isnt broken all the time like my freinds. (he's a excepion to the rule, he's extremely rough on his.)  i beleive he could break a anvil with a rubber hammer!

chevytaHOE5674

I will agree that hours is less important that condition and history of the machine. My machine has lived on my farm all its life and has been well taken care of and is in great shape, but the hours are high. Many of those are spent idling outside the barn while we shovel the bucket full of manure manually, or sitting in the garden while we fill the bucket full of potatoes. So the hours are high but the hours of actual use aren't as high and it shows on the condition of the machine. Of course I always wash the machine so that the manure doesn't eat away at the metal.

True North

Now I am wondering if a 4wd tractor that could lift 2500-3000 lbs would be better/more versatile.  What do you think?

Jeff

Here is a thread where that very question has been hashed around for 5 pages or so. :)

Skid Steer vs Tractor
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

6000 hrs is a lot for a skid steer. I'd feel better getting one with 2-3k on it in really good condition. 6000 seems to be the service life of a lot of components on them, drive pumps, drive motors, etc- things you do not want to replace $$$. The outfit where I work, we use our skidloaders like woodpeckerlips' buddy, heavy excavating and lot and trail clearing. When they get to 3000 hrs it is time for us to replace them, they are no longer a machine you can depend on  for daily production. The newer high horsepower machines tend to destroy themselves too, my Case 1845C has the right amount of hp I think, gets the job done but doesn't self destruct. These machine's have almost a cult following because they are simple and bulletproof. I'm sure other brands have similar machines, I'm just familiar with Case.
Too many irons in the fire

red oaks lumber

my first skidloader was an lx885 high hours beat p.o.s. i think if you shop around you can find a better deal. paying less upfront usally costs more down theline.
for me my whole buisness is at a standstill if my skid loader goes down, so i trade for new every 2 yrs. just something to think about.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brad_S.

FWIW, when I was shopping for a skid steer, I was told that one hour equals approximately 25 miles on a car/truck. As mentioned above and just like a car/truck, it's not so much time/miles as wear and tear.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DR Buck

I just got a 2003  80HP Gehl 6635 with only 1500 hours.   It came with both a regular and grapple bucket.  Cost me $15,000
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ladylake

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 14, 2010, 05:27:48 PM
I just got a 2003  80HP Gehl 6635 with only 1500 hours.   It came with both a regular and grapple bucket.  Cost me $15,000

That's a good buy on that machine, the grapple bucket alone should be worth $1500 to $2500 and you can't beat one around the mill or out in the woods.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

zopi

Buddy of mine gave me an old Ramrod..had a cracked head in the little 3 banger Kubota....I am dying to get this thing running...I really don't anticipate it being very strong...but for the light stuff around here it ought to do...

I got sold on having one by tooling around in a big Cat turbo skidsteer back in the winter...skids are great...but i'd look for one with lower hours...there are always a slew of them on craigs list, and at some pretty good prices right now...times are tough and guys that do dirtwork are selling stuff off....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bushhog920

i have a bobcat t200 with rootgrapple and a 40hp case tractor, i love the skidsteer just get one with tracks, they need almost no room to move around and the attachments are unlimited. do not limit you self on location i got one 500 mi away and the cost to ship was $500. paid $14,500 for a 98 t200 2000hrs, bucket, rootgrapple and shipping.

Corley5

I saw an 885 with 7,400`hours, dirt bucket, pallet forks, fairly new tires and in decent enough shape sell for $7,500 today at an auction.  It ran good with out any smoke but I didn't see it lift or move
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

cheyenne

There are a lot of people hurting for money right now so it's a buyers market. Be patient & look around. Check out ebay. I would not touch a machine with over 2,000 hrs on it. Example....Last year I bought a 2003 Gehl 4635SX with 892 hrs on it, solid rubber tires, tracks, bucket, 5,000 lb forks never used & auxillary controls for $ 5,000 .... Check with your banker for repos.....Be patient & good luck..........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!