iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poulan pro 235 fix or trash

Started by davefrommd, October 19, 2003, 08:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

My neighbor gave me a used poulan pro 235 probably a discontinued model that his son didn't take care of. The main problem was the pull rope was pulled out and stuck. I replaced the rope and fixed that. It's very hard to start and he previously used any kind of oil he could get a hold of for the chain oil which is why the saw was all oily. It needs a new bar & chain and the clutch sprocket should be replaced as it looks worn. Is this chain saw worth fixing up with a new $30.00 bar and chain and probably a new clutch assembly. The new smaller green poulans are around $100.00. I noticed the new poulan pro's I saw are all plastic and this one is all metal.  Are the new ones built cheaper. What do you think, fix or give it away.   Dave

SasquatchMan

Hey Dave, that's a tough call... if the saw was one of the cheapo plastic ones, you'd definitely have to throw it out - the new ones are rated for 50 hours.  It sounds like you may have a better quality saw than that, but there are definitely concerns there as well - does it have a chain brake?  Does it work?  Does it have a chain catcher?  There's a good chance the saw is oily because the oiler leaks no matter what...  One thing you might do is try to find out whether that Poulan is in fact a Jonsered, because some of the older models overlapped... in that case the saw may indeed be well worth some repair money.

The trouble with a used saw is that if it hasn't had maintenance, hasn't had good oil, it possibly also hasn't had good gas, and it may be pretty crunchy inside the cylinder... you may want to take the whole thing apart (or pay a tech shop to give you an idea of how much wear the thing has) before you put $100 bucks into it.

Good luck.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

SasquatchMan

That saw is indeed a Husky 33 or H-38, (Jred 370 or J-380).  I would think it worth fixing up, depending on condition.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

davefrommd

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had the 235 running good and lent it to a friend,  then after that it was hard starting. My neighbor was using used jet oil for the chain oil. Yes, that's right, oil from jets when they change the oil. I am going to look it over again. It looks to be of better quality then the newer plastic ones as it is all metal..no plastic. Appreciate the help everyone.  Dave

Kevin

Dave, it probably just needs a cleaning and a tune up, maybe a carb kit at most.

Thank You Sponsors!