iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade cleaning solution, what works best for soaking sappy bands?

Started by Kelvin, April 13, 2010, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I did a search and didn't come up with anything on this topic.  I"m sure its out there, but oh well.  What i have is sap buildup on the teeth tips, not the band bodies so it gets in the way of the setter i use.  Want to drop the blades in a tub with something and i've heard a few things, less toxic the better, but if diesel works the best i guess i'd go with it.  Water and dish soap?  Pinesol?  Whats a good blend of stuff, i can let it soak, but the less i have to scrub them after the better.  I hate sitting there with a chisel picking the sap off each tooth.  Wire brush doesn't take this stuff off, and i do wash them down when i'm done sawing with the water tank, but isn't cleaning the tips.

1938farmall

hold a stick against the running blade while the water is running - works well - use care.  al
aka oldnorskie

laffs

timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

WH_Conley

Bill

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ely

when i get mine to the setting bench i just use the cutting tool designed for a lathe. it is a small piece of tool steel, called a tool bit blank. anyway i just run it around the blade and it takes anything off thats stuck on it.

sdunston

I use methonal (wood alchohol) rool the band , put it in a pail, let it sit and pitch and dust comes right off.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ohsoloco

Soak 'em in Simple Green.  I've soaked circular saw blades with gum & pitch buildup (burnt on in some cases) overnight and it just melts off  :)

Mark Webb

Down here where we cut a lot of pine we use a small side grinder with a wire brush wheel on
The Lord made enough time in each day to do what we need to do "graciously".

Kelvin

Thanks guys.  When you use simple green or menthol alcohol is it straight solution or mixed?
Thanks
kelvin

ohsoloco

Kelvin, I don't recall if I used the Simple Green straight, or if it was mixed.  Considering it's a concentrate I would experiment with different dilution ratios.  It would be nice to put it in something that has a spigot on the bottom so you could just drain the crud off the bottom and top off as needed. 

sdunston

Quote from: Kelvin on April 14, 2010, 08:35:26 PM
Thanks guys.  When you use simple green or menthol alcohol is it straight solution or mixed?
Thanks
kelvin
I use it straight,alcohol take on water real fast so after about a week it wont be as strong.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Hilltop366

Seems to me the straight alcohol would be highly flammable?

kelLOGg

What do you put the bands in to soak them? When mine are folded they are about 19 in dia and I haven't found a suitable container for such.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!