iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavie or Cant Hook?

Started by woodbe, April 13, 2010, 06:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

I am looking at getting a Peavie or a Cant Hook. Which one do you use? Is one better for some tasks than the other? Any help would be nice.

Woodbe

mad murdock

depends on what you need it for.  A peavy has a point on the end, and comes in handy for knocking of a chunk of bark, or parking the hook by sticking it in the ground while you aren't using it, or poking a log, or what have you.  a Cant hook just has little teeth on the end for helping grab the cant or log as you turn it.  trying to turn logs on a mill carriage or rack with a peavy to my thinking is not as easy as a cant hook, because when you are working in confined areas, sometimes the point end gets in the way, whereas the cant hook without the point, can work a little better, and doesn't get hung up on other things, if you get my point ;) (pun intended).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

backwoods sawyer

If you are rolling logs to the mill, use a pee-vee, if you are turning a cant on the mill use a cant hook. Got three of each and since I have hydraulics on the mill the cant hooks hang on the wall. Get two pee-vees so you can hand one to the guy standing next to you. He may just decide to lean on it, or he may decide to help roll the log. A cant hook can be used to roll logs and a pee-vee can be used to turn cants.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

VT-Woodchuck

I have both - prefer the cant hook.

woodbe

Thank you for all your help. So fare all of the logs and cants have been turned the hard way. By hand! So any way I go will be better that what I was doing. We also have a backhoe some of the time when it is home. We try to load the log deck be for the hoe gets moved to a job site. At that point it is just rolling the log from the deck to the mill and turning the cant. It is not all that bad but could be better. Thanks again.

Woodbe

Magicman

I regularly use both, but over 75% of the time, it's the cant hooks being used.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

poor farmer/logger

We have a peavy on a long poll for pulling logs around and then a couple cant hooks for rolling logs forward and turning them on the carriage. Works well for us.

Ryan

captain_crunch

Just hope they have handles PeeVee wood handle 48.00 >:( >:( I hardly ever use cant hook but PW with point gets used all the time
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

JSNH

Get a logrite 36" mill special cant hook and a logrite 60"peavey. Go with the best buy it once. I have a manual circle mill I also got a 60" cant hook also for the big ones.

Jeff

First, don't waste your time even looking at wooden handled tools that will eventually bust your knuckles head or tailbone. They are absolutely obsolete. And for god's sake beware of cheap knock-off versions of any log handling tools like you might find in cheap tool catalogs. and most know the two I have in mind.

Go LogRite.

LogRiteĀ® Tools 77 Industrial Park Road, Vernon, CT 06066 - info@logrite.com- 800 631-4791

Call and get Tammy or Kevin on the line. They are the experts. If they know your application, they will recommend the best tool for the job, then you can buy the best tool right from them.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sdunston

LOGRITE is the way to go, I have a 24'',60'' and I am going to get a hookeron soon. I think it would be handy pulling off slabs
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

backwoods sawyer

I have not tried Logrite, but I like the flex of a wood handle, it kinda tells you when you reach your limit. I have yet to break a handle. Of coarse I do not hook a chain to the handle and pull the log over with the tractor either. Watched a customer do that, the handle had long since been broke off his and he had welded a heavy handle on it. Treat your tools good and they will treat you good.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Jeff

I'd be listening to people that have broke wooden handles. And I have never hooked a chain on one or used any sort of mechanical advantage on one other then my size. Listen to those that have used a wood handle for years, then used a logrite. They have all the information based on a full experience.  I worked in a commercial mill 25 years. Ten hours a day 6 days a week for most of those years. I've seen many tools come and go and there is no substitute for a logrite cant hook or peavey.  Those that want to debate the point are clearly lacking the experience of using a full range of tools.  I know what I'm talking about, believe it or not.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

Yet another vote for LogRite.

As far as Peavey vs Cant hook....in my opinion, Peaveys are better for moving logs in on the ground or in piles.  Cant hooks are better when working on a log deck. 

I move a lot of logs on the ground, so I prefer Peaveys.  I also like the stand-it-up-in-the-ground feature.

Captain

customdave

My inventory- Logrite:
                   2- 30" Hookaroons
                   2- 24" mill specials
                   2- 30" mill specials
                   1- 36" Cant hook
                   1- 48" Cant hook, man I love these Quality tools & I ain't done yet

8) 8) 8)...Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

submarinesailor

Quote from: customdave on April 14, 2010, 09:27:18 PM
My inventory- Logrite:
                  2- 30" Hookaroons
                  2- 24" mill specials
                  2- 30" mill specials
                  1- 36" Cant hook

8) 8) 8)...Dave

Dave,

Did Tammy and Kevin make you part owner in the company? ;D ;D ;D  I think after buying that many, you should have about .00000005%.  Don't you. :o :o :o :o

Just kidding Tammy and Kevin. Love them Logrite tools. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce

Chuck White

Quote from: captain_crunch on April 14, 2010, 12:18:21 AM
Just hope they have handles PeeVee wood handle 48.00 >:( >:( I hardly ever use cant hook but PW with point gets used all the time

My FIL had an old peevey with a broken handle sitting in the corner of his shop.
I said to him why not take it to the Amish wood-working shop and have the handle replaced.
He took it over one day and picked it up the next day, cost $7.00 made out of White Oak.
I have a friend who just recently got a wood lathe and he made me one for one of mine, out of Hard Maple.

BUT, you can't go wrong with Log Rite either.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

As Jeff pointed out we both have spend many years working in production mills where tools get pushed to there limits.  Pee-Vee safety is the same for home built, wood handle, and Logrite.
I watched two guys roll several good sized logs to the mill using pee-vees and they spent more time rolling around on the ground then the logs did. They would put both feet on the log and climb out on the end of the handle and hang there with there legs wrapped around the handle until the log dumped them on the ground and then do it again. When they got close to the mill I was concerned that they would bang there heads on something metal so I took some time to show them how keeping one leg behind them would allow them to turn the logs and stay standing. At the end of the week, they were still struggling with staying on there feet. I point this out not to poke fun at these guys but to show that there is a leaning curve to handling these tools correctly.
I might also point out that I do not dislike Logrite, but my personal preference is wood handles. I have had wood handle pick-a-roons that I used all day long on a daily basis that lasted many years. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you. 

captain_crunch

At 5'6" and 150 pounds I ain't too hard on handles ;D ;D I have Chain Hoist and tongs hung from I beam above carrage for heavier pieces. If I had power at mill I would have an elect hoist. Wish I was closer to the Amish handle makers. Local Saw shop has the new ones but I thought I would stay in the 50's :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

KyTreeFarmer

Hey captain_crunch
If you like wood handles search the internet for house handle company. Less than 20 bucks. I like mine.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Magicman

My cant hooks and peveys came with the mill.  All were wooden handled.  Two have broken and been replaced with steel tubing.  The other two will break.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

Quote from: Magicman on April 16, 2010, 03:48:37 PM
My cant hooks and peveys came with the mill.  All were wooden handled.  Two have broken and been replaced with steel tubing.  The other two will break.

Looks like you should put Logrite on your birthday list.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Quote from: stonebroke on April 16, 2010, 04:04:59 PM
Looks like you should put Logrite on your birthday list.  Stonebroke 

That would be nice..... :D   But, you know how we are.....just keep "patching" stuff up..... ::)

rbarshaw

I have a 4' logrite cant hook and a wood handle pevey. I found the pevey of great use on my mill, but my mill had many 1/2" holes in the deck that the point of the pevey would fit in, then I could pry the log side to side or back and forth. the cant hook is also good for turning the cant/log, but not for prying.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

terrifictimbersllc

I always enjoy using a cant hook more than a peavey I don't know why.  I got one of the longest LogRite cant hooks  somewhere called a Mega hook I think it is called  a 76" hook.  Woodmizer sells it too in orange.   Costs twice as much as a wood handled one but then it takes the place of two.  this is the first hook I'll hand to a customer helper, it bites without fail, the handle won't break and requires much less force so it's safer.  If you work alone or just with one helper you'll be very pleased with this purchase.  Don't have two yet but maybe soon. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dan_Shade

Quote from: customdave on April 14, 2010, 09:27:18 PM
My inventory- Logrite:
                   2- 30" Hookaroons
                   2- 24" mill specials
                   2- 30" mill specials
                   1- 36" Cant hook

8) 8) 8)...Dave

Another club member!

My collection is:

2 - ASS cant hooks (this is the 78" cant hook)
1 - 60" Cant Hook
1 - 60" Peavey
1 - 48" cant hook
1 - 36" hookaroon
1 - logrite log scale

I used to use a bunch of old junker cant hooks that I bought off of ebay, and made handles for them.  I also had a big hook made by my grandfather.  One day while doing an urban logging job with a fellow FF member, I used one of his LOGRITE Cant hooks.  I've never looked back.

I like the peavey when rolling logs on the ground.  mainly for the reason that I can stab it in the ground and it will stand up.  That way I don't have to bend down to pick it up.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sigidi

Down under we don't tend to have much in the way of a peavey, just cant hooks.

I'm not sure how an aluminium hook would go - I haven't tried a logrite hook, but recently did this to my steel cant hook...

the handle was 2" steel pipe with 1/8" wall and I bent her by using it on my shoulder and standing up when the log didn't wanna move ;D so although I haven't used a Logrite hook, I do have reservations as to how effective it would be on some of the logs I have to move from time to time...
Always willing to help - Allan

amberwood

Alan...you just try and bend one. We have just started supplying Melbourne Metro Fire with 60"cant hooks for fire/storm damage road clearing. The ultimate large bloke meets large log test. A 150kg firey bouncing on the end of a Logrite Cant hook. It only drives the hook in deeper. It helped that he was on the end of a chocked 4ton Messmate log. That was not going to move.

We can ship ex Melbourne with NQXpress.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

ErikC

I had a steel pipe in a peavy after a handle broke, it bent and I am a lot smaller than Alan, (5'11 170 lbs). I think logrite has a whole different thing going on with their metal handles than an old scrap of 1 1/2 inch water pipe.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

There are better tools for rolling heavy logs.....End Tongs.... :)

Two different sizes.

Using end tongs to roll heavy logs

sigidi

Quote from: amberwood on April 21, 2010, 09:09:57 AM
Alan...you just try and bend one. We have just started supplying Melbourne Metro Fire with 60"cant hooks for fire/storm damage road clearing. The ultimate large bloke meets large log test. A 150kg firey bouncing on the end of a Logrite Cant hook. It only drives the hook in deeper. It helped that he was on the end of a chocked 4ton Messmate log. That was not going to move.

We can ship ex Melbourne with NQXpress.

DTR

DTR, I don't hang off 'em, I stand up underneath 'em, that way I get a lot more behind the hook than my 120kg (264 lb) bodyweight ever could hanging off 'em. I'm pressing 150kg (330lb) on my bad leg in single leg press, mind you it's only my 5th workout after a 10 year hiatus ;D but if you don't mind you send me price and delivery details via email so I can take a look (QLD 4570) I'd give one a go if you where confident on a warranty against 'human' bending. After all I do like blue, even considering asking Lucas to make me a blue mill one day.... ya never know 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

terrifictimbersllc

MM Where'd you get the end tong? Bust apart a regular tong set?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 21, 2010, 12:40:19 PM
MM Where'd you get the end tong? Bust apart a regular tong set? 

Matter of fact, two broken sets.  See where I cut it off just above the pivot point, and used the eye.

This is the broken set that the larger one came from.  You can see that the top tong was broken.

Thank You Sponsors!