iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT30 (1985) - too old to be of any use?

Started by malcolmtent, April 13, 2010, 09:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malcolmtent

I'd appreciate some opinions, please. I'm in the market for my first mill, which I'd like to use to mill lumber for my own use (cabin on my property, a garage extension - the usual boy stuff!).

Should I consider an old 1985 Woodmizer LT30 with a brand new 16 hp engine and trailer package for $7,000? Or am I better off getting abrand new LT15?

I would consider sawing other people's logs for money, so having something larger than an LT15 is appealing, as is the trailer package for ease of transportation. But I but am more interested in sawing my own trees on my own property.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Bibbyman

Old Wood-Mizers never die.  They just get new owners, belts, and a few new bearings and keep on sawing.

With a new motor and if otherwise in good condition, I'd say the price is in line. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sparks

If the mill is in good operating condition then the 1985 mill will cut just as accurate lumber as a 35,000 new unit. Just slower. Portability is a definite consideration especially for ease of set-up.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

jdtuttle

A good friend of mine has an 82 LT30 still running strong and cutting well.
jim
Have a great day

dovetails

1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

VictorH

Go for the portability.  Even if you plan to only cut your own you will soon have people asking you to cut for them.  It helps to off-set the upkeep, blades, etc.

stumpy

I may be upgrading to a hydraulic, so my 1998 LT30 would be available for sale.  It has autoclutch and electric winch for log turning.  I'll know in 2 weeks if I get the other mill.  If you decide you want to go with the LT30, maybe we can work something out and help the forum at the same time.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

malcolmtent

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I'll be buying a case of beer and inviting y'all over sometime soon.

Bibbyman

One comfort about buying a Wood-Mizer (new or old) is the support from Wood-Mizer.  Wood-Mizer will still provide technical support and parts for their old mills.  Sometimes they may even have to go fabricate a part. 

They had at least one "old guy" that know everything about the early mills they could go to if the "new guys" got stuck for an answer.  I don't know if he's still there.  But if he's not,  one I bet one of the new guys is now an old guy and can fix you up if you have a problem. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

And I'll bet if you called WM with the mill's s/n, they could give you a history of the mill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

when I bought a used 1983 lt30 woodmizer was great to me.  It cuts fine.
Have been buying new blades at great lakes logging congress and sent first batch to resharp last week
marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

zopi

yeah..as much as I love my lt-15...the portability of the 15 sucks...if you are going to move the mill ever...get the 30...or a new 28..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tronvik

I bought  a 84 lt30 in 03 for 5000.  It was almost sight unseen, it was on extended loan(borrower hoped the owner forgot or passed away)before I came along and foiled his plans. Have had no regrets after restore,cuts well. Just purchased a 88 lt40hd(thanks to marty and jeffrey). I may be the only person who prefers the spring tensioner over hydraulic.Set to cut some full 2 x 8 for turtle excluders.They are for a shrimper friend.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Thank You Sponsors!