iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do you find your timber?

Started by JBritt, April 12, 2010, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBritt

Where do most of you guys get your downed timber from.  We have acreage, but I really dont want to cut any of it down. 

Dave Shepard

We have a lot of acreage at work, so we usually try to source our own timber for our projects. Some people have luck networking with tree services. I have also bought directly from a log broker before.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Cutting down trees does a forest good,as long as it's done correctly.Now if a person went in and cut all the best out and left the junk,that is not much help.If a person went in and only cut 20 trees in a year in different places,I feel that would do more good than harm under normal forest land.Don't think that cutting trees down is bad thing to do for your forest. But I have no idea where you live and have not seen your land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Many times tree removal services have free trees or trees for sale.  Careful though, cause if they came from a yard, they may have junk metal in the butts.   Road widening/construction projects often have trees available.  Trees are often available after a storm.

Once word gets around that you need/want trees and logs, it will be easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Like Thecfarm said, if it's done right you do much more good than harm in a forest to selective 'thin' problems arise from harming other trees when putting them down or getting the logs out. Being your land, you'd expect to be more particular and careful with how you do things, the guys who just want the log don't tend to care what happens to everything else and therefore may harm later generations of timber. In Aus most out hardwoods start to decay in the middle once they get larger, so it is better to use them before they go in the middle and doing it carefully allows the next generation to come up a bit easier. If you take one or two out from a patch, this will also encourage new growth to grow upward tall and straight with fewer branches - thus higher grade sawlogs...
Always willing to help - Allan

woodmills1

I scrounged trees for years using a one ton, always needing a macine on the site

I bought loads from log trucks their stuff with nails cheap

then I bought my blue ox loader

I pick up good and bad from tree service guys with no log truck, lotsa wood now

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

captain_crunch

With 80 acres of Doug Fir 50 years old and needing to be logged and replanted this is not a problem for Kids and I. But I have 3 people wanting to bring me logs to saw for them ::) ::) Basicly we saw what mills won't pay anything for. I can do ok sawing topt and if you look at my Bellsaw post We are trying to mill Long Butted logs sometimes OK but with Timberbind and swelled Butts gets interesting. But look around where some logging has been done and bet you could find lots of leftovers that would make lumber. Till we got our mill we burnt lots of saw able timber
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!