iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

accidental hole in 385xp exhaust

Started by Kiwihusky, April 10, 2010, 06:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwihusky

one of the muppets i work with was putting the saws away and rammed my exhaust with something sharp stuffing that spark restricter thing an putting a slight rip an hole on top of exhaust .so i pulled the bit of mesh stuff off and tried starting it usually cold starts the third pull an it fires this time first pull not to much louder but sounds mint but when i started cutting thats when i was really surprised this saw is about 5 years old i have done alot of cutting with it its got a 32 inch bar on it with a 3/8 size 10 sprocket so has good chain speed but lacks the torque so jams quite a bit when your drags are down to low but now it just it just keeps eating through the wood can put full pressure on it and it just cuts quicker but will this need to be retuned now and how much bigger can i make the hole before something goes wrong any help be much appreciated as the the husky branch on the island i live on is f#!*!! hopeless. Cheers

Rocky_J

Good deal, your buddy just did an impromptu muffler mod.  8)
Basically the most critical adjustment is the H screw (the high speed jet). Run the saw up to full throttle, then turn the H screw out (counterclockwise) until the speed drops off. Then bring it back in an eighth of a turn. This will get you pretty close.

Here is a much more thorough description and explanation.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

Kevin

Kiwihusky, welcome to the forestry forum.
If you ever feel the need to cuss the official cuss word here is DANG.
Good luck with the muffler, if it doesn't work out you can always buy a modded muffler ready to go.

SwampDonkey

We run into the same thing with brand new brush saws. I guarantee the screen will be modified in the first week of daily use. I got a new muffler this spring and the shop guy put in a courser screen I noticed.   I would have anyway, I use stainless drain screen over the exit hole. I have an FS550 by Stihl. Some fellas just use window screening and I think that is what he used. The Husky and Echo brush saw users have that screen inside and they just take it out and get it over with.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

This guy might have just saved your saw from a melt down, over that many year's the screen will plug up, not always but sometimes , depends on how its been run.
The first thing i did with a new saw is gut the muffler, you have to be care full when its dry out, it well start a fire.
Back in the 60's on the ole 08S Stihl we would drill holes in the face of the muffler. I don't how much faster it was, but it made it sound like we working harder. :D 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sawbob011

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 10, 2010, 08:38:11 PM

Back in the 60's on the ole 08S Stihl we would drill holes in the face of the muffler. I don't how much faster it was, but it made it sound like we working harder. :D 

Lol! The illusion of hard work is all that matters ;) I poked a few holes in my 026 muffler the other day and cut a couple cords with it today. I dont think it was any faster but I sure noticed  a difference in its performance. Didn't bog down once where it used to all the time. Also a whole lot louder. My neighbor thought I had a new saw Lol! As already said. retune your carb and you should be fine. nothing to worry about.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

Thank You Sponsors!