iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pets it the forest

Started by sawbob011, April 08, 2010, 12:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawbob011

I was wondering how many people take there dogs with them when they go out woodcutting. I have 3 and we normally take at least one with us. I ask because I caught some serrious flack from a guy the other day for having my dogs with me while I was getting wood.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

TimRB

I never cut wood too far from home, so if I try to bring my dog along, as soon as the saw fires up, she's outta there.  What, exactly, was the flack about?  Do your dogs get underfoot when work is going on?

Tim

Gary_C

I'd say the general rule for pets should be: "to each his own."

In other words if you want to have pets, you can feed and take care of them properly, and avoid having them run free and cause a problem for others, then more power to you. But if you are going to take them with you out in public areas, you better be able to avoid having them be a problem for others.

So it really depends on the circumstances and where you were cutting.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

gunman63

maybe next they will whine if we take dogs  hunting.

DirtForester

My only concern would be if you are working on someone else's property.  Don't let your pet be a nuicance to someone else.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

beenthere

Quote from: sawbob011 on April 08, 2010, 12:07:20 PM
I was wondering how many people take there dogs with them when they go out woodcutting. I have 3 and we normally take at least one with us. I ask because I caught some serrious flack from a guy the other day for having my dogs with me while I was getting wood.

I don't take my pets to the woods.  ;) ;)

What was your "flack" about?  Dog running away? Dog barking? Dog chasing other critters? Dog sleeping in someone else's truck? dog sticking their nose in someone else's crotch? crapping on the walking path?
Must have been something offensive to someone giving you serious flack.   :) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawbob011

Quote from: beenthere on April 08, 2010, 01:17:41 PM
Quote from: sawbob011 on April 08, 2010, 12:07:20 PM

I don't take my pets to the woods.  ;) ;)

What was your "flack" about?  Dog running away? Dog barking? Dog chasing other critters? Dog sleeping in someone else's truck? dog sticking their nose in someone else's crotch? crapping on the walking path?
Must have been something offensive to someone giving you serious flack.   :) ;)

I dont take them out where a lot of people are so i found an area where no one ealse was working at the time and let them out. they stay close to me until I start cutting and they the keep to the truck. They do really good and thats why I take them.. the other day though they were sitting at the back of the truck while I was bucking a log when another guy drove up and started yelling out the window at me. Saying I was an idiot for bringing them out and how I was going to get someone killed letting them run arround while people are cutting trees and running saws... I dont know what his problem was. The whole time my dogs were just calmly sitting at the back of my truck. Maybe he had a bad expirience once or something, I dont know.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

Brad_S.

When I was doing portable milling, I grew to despise dogs. They were always under foot and I hate being goosed with a dog nose while concentrating on sawing. More than once, when rolling logs off the top of the pile, an owners dog would suddenly dart out in front of the pile. How one that once did that did not get killed I don't know. The mutt just happened to be in the one spot where a crook in one log slamming against another log left him jusst enough room to escape unharmed. Must be a guardian angel for dogs, I guess.
In short, dogs can't recognize the impending danger when a tree is being cut or machinery is in motion, so I can see where many would find it irresponsible on the owners part.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

beenthere

Quote from: sawbob011 on April 08, 2010, 01:55:08 PM................
I dont know what his problem was. The whole time my dogs were just calmly sitting at the back of my truck. Maybe he had a bad expirience once or something, I dont know.

Then I suggest not sweating his comments. His shorts musta been too tight.   ;D

I like your flea buzzing around....makes me wanta wish for the winter weather to stick around, or go get the Raid.  :)

I dropped a yard tree once, that the owners dog (who'd been asked to keep the dog inside) allowed it to get in the fall line. The tops of the branches gave it a good dusting as it sped off quickly and out of harms way.  :D
There several loud commands that the dog didn't understand at all.  ;D  Mighta been the language or maybe the directions, or where that hot place was he was referencing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

dogs are the same as people, what dont kill em will make em stronger. ;D

Mooseherder

I used to worry about what da older guys thought.
Now I is one. ;D
If my Dog behaved as well as your does.  It would be in the woods with me.
We like dogs here.  Ya got a picture of the critter?

Hilltop366

I was milling up some logs once and got too warm so I took off my coat and set it on a log, then a friend stopped by with his English setter which promply went over and peed on my coat, funny now but not at the time.

Nothing to do with logging but a carpet layer friend was putting a new white carpet in a customers house and she had a small dog that would bark and growel at him and get in his way so he asked the lady to put the dog in another room until he was done, she did but was a little put out because it was the dogs favorite room, as soom as he was done installing the white carpet the lady let the the dog in and the dog proceded to drag his butt across the white carpet leaving a long brown streak. The carpet layer got out of there real quick!

Sawbob if the dogs stay in the truck and are not bothering any one and are out of harms way I'd say there is nothing wrong with that.

SwampDonkey

We had dogs years back, only one at a time. My grandfather had dogs he raised for grouse hunting. None of us took dogs to the woods when working. The only pet grandfather took to the woods was the yard'n horse. A well behaved dog is fine to have along if your timber cruising or spotting boundary or something. The dogs I ever had liked roaming off and then your wondering where they are. I just like being able to see a grouse or hare hop bye or a moose or maybe a bear making it's way down the opposite direction and not have a dog thinking it's gotta chase after something.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

When I am in the woods logging I do not allow anyone to bring a dog into the work area including the landowner. The only person I allow in with a dog is the forester I do most of my work for, but I know his dogs and they are trained to be in logging operations. He will have them sit a safe distance away until I say it is ok. I have seen them lay down and stay in one spot for over an hour while we are talking. Don't get me wrong I love dogs and have owned them all my life but if you can not be 100% sure they will not endanger themselves, their owner, or you they do not belong where tree felling is taking place. imo
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

fuzzybear

I work in grizzly country.....so yes I take dogs in the bush with me.  They are all trained to stay out of the way. Saved my bacon more than once.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

chubz

I got two dogs dont leave home without them or the gun.
They work with me everyday and i wouldnt go to work for anyone that would let me bring them along

chevytaHOE5674

I take my dog out in the woods while making firewood all the time. She will run around and enjoy herself but as soon as I start to drop a tree and yell to her she goes back to the truck/tractor and sits until the trees on the ground. Then she goes back to enjoying the woods, and never gets under my feet. There is soooo much better stuff to smell and chase in the woods than get under me while sawing.

Frickman

A long time ago I had a dog I'd take to the woods. She figured out that the tree was going to fall in the direction I made my face cut, so she would stand where the tree was going to land. She'd bark at it as it was falling and jump out of the way at the last second. I had to start leaving her at home after that.

The last few dogs, including my current one, go to the job with me. I tie them up to the truck with a 15 or 20 foot long line and leave them their food and water. They still get to go for a ride every day and see new things, but I don't have them underfoot all the time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Raider Bill

Quote from: chubz on April 09, 2010, 10:10:44 PM
I got two dogs dont leave home without them or the gun.
They work with me everyday and i wouldnt go to work for anyone that would let me bring them along

That's a whole bunch of coon! 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Any markets for porky hide? ;D

Last fall when I went butternut hunting, I found some old trees with broken limbs and noticed there were 4 or 5 coons, one at each broken crotch sleeping. They weren't cavities, but they were able to nestle in the broken area for a sleep.  Easy targets for shoot'n practice. I don't hunt myself. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Probaly like my FIL.He feels to love your dog you need it on a leash.  ::)  He tried to tell me that I would kill my dog just letting him run and that I don't love him. I told him I would never had a dog on a leash just so I could have a pet.  ::) I feel dogs are made to run and smell and eat all the things they shouldn't. Yes,he's been run over once,he's been green for a day or two and I worry when he's not around but it's the only way that I will have a dog.I could not take him to a differant place.He would take off and who knows when he would come back. He's good when only a few feet from me and will listen to me,but when he gets his nose down he shuts his ears off and he's gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chubz

We were cutting down hollow cottonwood for firewood two years ago saw a coon go in one 20 hours later 30 coon averaged $10 a piece on that lot. Maybe not so profitable but me and the dogs sure had fun. The black one I'm holdin killed 124 coon and a coyote and the little white one about 40 coon

roger 4400

HI. I always took my first Labrador with me, he was educated to sit on my vtt when I was felling. One day I went felling with my brother in law, my vtt was broken so in the afternoon I was felling a 50 feet aspen when the wind pushed the tree on my blade, so I stopped cutting and waited a few seconds for the wind to slow a bit, my brother in law that was 80 ft from me with my dog came to me to help ( He thought I was stuck and needed help) when I saw him, I looked to my dog, he stood far, sitting, then the wind stopped and before finishing my final cut, looked at my dog again(still sitting), when the tree fell, my dog saw something move (I guess) and start running toward the falling tree.......and he was caught under the tree, had a back leg 90% cut no more bone only  little skin was holding his leg, the femorale was cut, and the tree crushed his abdomen. I stop the bleeding with pressure and bandages that I had and took my friend (dog) to the veterinary,2 hours away...(100 miles). we decided to cut his leg the day after and the vet saw no sign of abdominal injury ( labrador do not complaint)   but there were fatal injuries.....I had to kill my dog that night...........sad sad night.....sad week.
Now I have a new friend , another blond labrador ( 5 years now )that is following me everywere and when I am felling my dog is FASTEN to my vtt. Often I go on our other land, 100 miles from home, and my dog and I are in our forest working together alone for a week ( when alone I usually do not fell). SO BE CAREFULL, FOR YOURSELF AND FOR YOUR PETS.....no mather how you educated them, they still hunters and may run if they see something. Believe me I still have this sad image in my mind every time I go near where it happened.  I learned the hard way..... Have a nice day   BE SAFE
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Thank You Sponsors!