iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

climbing gear

Started by justintimemoto, March 31, 2010, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

i dont plan on going in the business i just cut trees now and then, plus then i can make one nice tree stand 8)
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

chevytaHOE5674

bill m

Even if you are only going to cut trees every now and then you still need insurance because when something goes wrong, and it will -nobody is perfect, the consequences can be devastating. What about your ground man? workmens comp? I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this just take it slow and do it right. The people that have replied to this thread seam to have many years of experience and are trying to help you not make the mistakes we have.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

justintimemoto

i know what you and there saying.  as far as taht other site its cheaper than sherill tree and baileys
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

bushhog920

go to http://www.wesspur.com/ they have lots of climing gear there, might suggest the training dvd's you can rent for about $50.

DonT

Where are you in upstate new york?

justintimemoto

amsterdam   probably about 3 and a half hours or so from canada
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

stonebroke

Ah, The great Mohawk Valley

Stonebroke

justintimemoto

yeah lol  but im out in the town part country w.e you want to call it so its not bad :)
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

HolmenTree

Justin like what some others have said here, go out and take a 2 day basic climbing skills course through ArborMaster or North American Training Solutions. Spend $500 on this course before you buy any wrong expensive equipment.
They supply all the stuff needed to get you in the tree. Then by the end of day 2 you will have the proper list of equipment and  the basic knowledge what to do, practice comes next.
I felled timber for a living since 16, but at age 42 when I took my 1st ArborMaster climbing course I was in a whole new league. Hell they even had me footlocking on static and dynamic rope by the 2nd day. Best $500 I ever spent.
Willard. ;)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kevin

Willard, still footlocking?  ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Footlocking is a way of the past IMO ;D. I climb SRT with a pair of ascenders and life is so easy compared to footlocking, I wish I would have made the switch from the start of my climbing days.

chet

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 07, 2010, 07:58:59 PM
Footlocking is a way of the past IMO ;D. I climb SRT with a pair of ascenders and life is so easy compared to footlocking, I wish I would have made the switch from the start of my climbing days.

Dats da problem with kids nowadays, der not as tuff as dey usta be.  ;D   Lookin' fur da easy way.  :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chevytaHOE5674

Ooo I can footlock, its just faster to climb my way. And until dey add a couple more hours of daylight into the day I need every extra minute I can get between work, running cattle, making hay, plowing snow, fixing equipment, etc there just isn't enough time.  8)

chet

excuses...excuses.... :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chevytaHOE5674

If i had all day to spend on one job in the tree and it paid all my bills then i would climb the slowest way possible :D...

But over here in the real world technology has been invented to make life easier  ;D.

flushcut

I vote for training but if you must learn on your own the rule is low and slow.  IMO all the catalogs and supply houses have good gear but its up to you to pick what's going to work for you.  I can say this piece of gear is the cats meow but you think it's a piece it's all personal taste.
Husquvarna Chainsaws

HolmenTree

Quote from: Kevin on April 07, 2010, 07:54:35 PM
Willard, still footlocking?  ;D
Yep still footlocking. Over the last 10 yrs I have tried various ascenders but ended up giving them away to other climbers who figured they needed them.
I will admit, in year one I used 2 Petzl hand ascenders so I could concentrate better on my feet. When I caught on good with the foot wrapping I ditched the Petzls. Just 2 less things to mess around with and carry on the saddle.
When your redirecting and moving around pruning a big hardwood footlocking comes in real handy and instantaneous, time and safety is gained not lost when monkeying around with ascenders.
10 yrs ago in my 1st course, instructer-owner Dwayne Neustator of ArborMaster Canada [ now North American Training /Arboriculture Canada] showed the class how to footlock climb  40' into an elm on static rope in 15 seconds. Immediately while up there he pruned out some deadwood for us. I was amazed. Good motivation.
Willard.  

Kevin

I haven't footlocked in a few years, I found it was too much of a work out.
Short ascents aren't a problem for me but I can use the foot ascender for that.
For long ascents I use my GRCS, a seat and a gas drill.
Puts me up there real quick, not out of breath and ready to work.

HolmenTree

I'm just starting up my tree biz next week. After a long winter off season working in the shop plus a couple of weeks in a Mexican resort, my "gut" is going to get in the way during those upcoming climbs.
It won't take long to get back in shape though. I don't footlock on static anymore, just footlock dynamic on a split tail.
With dynamic you're only hoisting 1/2 your bodyweight which is alot easier on the cardio, may take twice as long to ascend over static, but you don't waste time switching over to the split tail from static when you get to the top.
Willard.

Thank You Sponsors!