iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black walnut markets

Started by thompsontimber, April 07, 2010, 11:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompsontimber

Looking for a decent market to sell a little black walnut within a reasonable haul distance.  We are in the western NC, upstate SC area and don't often run across a great deal of quality walnut logs.  Cut several loads of good logs off a tract a couple of years ago and wasn't pleased with the market we sold to then, so interested in finding an alternative market.  Of course our regular saw mill markets will buy any logs we have, but pay "miscellaneous" price while they stock pile quality logs for the train car. We have a tract with mostly small diameter black walnut we are harvesting now, with a few nice logs on it too. The pulp markets don't want it so I'm wondering if anyone else might.  Also looking at a tract with a couple trailer loads of really nice walnut logs on it.

Ed

Any Amish in your area? They recently bought some "urban" Walnuts here. The trees were exceptional, 30" dbh range & at least 35' of gun barrel straight trunk.

Ed

treefarmer87

here in va it pays $300 a cord just like poplar veneer. it is rare to see large walnut around here anymore. i know the mill i have to sends the cut lumber down to nc. what is the timber business like down there, my wife wants to move down there and i was gonna take my equip. with me and work down there.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!