iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bucket for loading firewood

Started by allmosdone, April 07, 2010, 09:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allmosdone

Well I'm pretty sure that the great minds of this forum have already solved this problem, so it seemed way more reasonable to start this project with a question here. It's not that I'm a light weight, just that the old hands scream a different tune these days after pitching a load on the trailer. Guess thats what you get for working 28 years(wrenching)and playing just as hard! Anyway, the 60 inch bucket on the kubota will get 8 or 10 sticks after pooking in the pile for awhile. Of coarse you also got mud rocks and bark! What I invision is a skeleton bucket with 8 or ten inch spades on the cuttig edge to get between the sticks and then loose the debris, Whaadauthink?  CRA
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

Gary_C

The way I have solved this problem is to recognize that what you want to do will not work for me. So what I do is hand stack into my 80" x 32" loader bucket and then dump into the vehicle. That way I can measure and assist loading all at once. If I stack to just under the 32" bar across the top, it will take just two buckets for a face cord, or rather one third of a cord. It works out just slightly in favor of the customer and especially since my wood is almost always cut over 16"long.

Plus it is fast and easy to load. Takes a little bending over, but not lifting and throwing.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

flushcut

Husquvarna Chainsaws

captain_crunch

Next word too poor to build one ;D ;D I would rate trying to scoop up wood with loader bucket(unless on cement) right next to trying to push car up hill with a rope. A conveyer is the only way other than manual. How I handle it at present is YOU Want It YOU load it :) :) :) :)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

shinnlinger

I tried to deal with that by welding up a very nice looking tooth bar out of old leaf springs that extended out about a foot like fingers.  It mounted to the bucket with a chainbinder and it looked AWESOME.  I even showed my dad how great it was by ramming it into a pile of wood only to have the springs break like glass at the welds.  Next time I will throw the leaves in a bonfire first to anneal the steel, but I haven't got to that part yet.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

todd.crow

I don't know if this will help, but I built this elevator to get my firewood into my trailer.

This year we loaded the trailer (5 cord) in about 1 1/2 hours including strapping it down. I had 4 people, 2 on the ground and 2 on the trailer. The two on the ground didn't have to work as hard as the two on the trailer. If you didn't want to cord the wood on the trailer you could go even faster with half the people.

I haul the elevator on top of the load.

I also use it to get the firewood from the trailer into the basement of my house.

Bobus2003

I use this to bucket to dig out of a pile of Firewood.

DGK

Here's my firewood bucket / log handler.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

allmosdone

Thanks for this input folks! The coveyor cocept hovers in my mind, but outa my buget as of now. Grapple bucket would sure work well, but the money thing again. Heard a guy say once that if you gotta sell wood to buy iron, your starten pretty far down. Back to the conveyor , what source did you use for chain and sprockets? Looked at that a few times, but can't really find a good supplier. Thanks again! STAY SAFE  CRA
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

zopi

Yer in virginia...go cruise around the farm country...hunt for old hay or silage loaders...instant firewood loader...might have to add a motor or hook to a tractor..but most folks don't use 'em for anything anymore..plus you might make a friend....hmmm..there's one just up the road from here...might have to go ask about it...I hate loading wood too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

CX3

Im with zopi.  Find an old hay elevator, worse case scenario.......50 bucks for a new motor. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!