iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lathemizer blades?

Started by BB, April 07, 2010, 07:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

We just got a lathemizer and milled a few poles so far. The finish on the logs isnt as smooth as I thought it should be. The manual states moderate feed rates but I have got the best results feeding as slow as possible. Anyone out there have any thoughts on the blades and feed rates that might produce the best results.
Thanks BB

thecfarm

Give WM a call.They will gladly help you too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyParsons

We have done some operation of the Lathe. You can do moderate feed on the first pass and then real slow on the second pass. I have attempted to do some slow cuts on a LT15 with out power feed and it is not easy to do consistant feed rate and keep the round work smooth. I have not noticed any difference in blade profile. Hope someone else has some information that may have used one more than I have.  :)
Keep the blade guide arm as close as possible to the work also will help.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

metalspinner

I'm curious if cutting from the small end to the large would leave a better finish?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bibbyman

I found the thicker .055 blade worked better than the .045s.  I don't know if the 1-1/2" wide would work better than the 1-1/4" wide.  Maybe?

It's hard to go slow enough with the power feed.  Our mill is an LT40DHE25 with command control.  So I set the speed as slow as it will go and keep going and I'll go up to the had and hold it back when it goes too fast or let it go when it's going ok.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!