iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess my saw

Started by Sprucegum, April 05, 2010, 10:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

Any one know what breed this is? Is it very old? Worth its weight in gold? I have a name tag I can show you later  ;D

I think the roadgrader man found it in the ditch and hung it on my gate post  :)

chucker

?? its prurdy "HOMLEY" and lite... ????
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

bandmiller2

Those Homeys were good old saws.Retired now, but I spent 31 yrs. as a fire service mechanic we had three of those saws they bounced around in the trucks their whole life I can't remember ever having any trouble with them, always would start.Those guys could break an anvil with a tack hammer.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chainsawr

That is a Remington.

Maybe an SL-4 or SL-5 it is difficult to tell from the pictures.  But 100% certain it is a mid-sized PL or SL series Rem.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

Sprucegum

8) And you're a 100% right

I didn't get a chance to load the picture of the tag but it says Remington and even shows the serial number. When I tried Google all I got was Remington electric saws  ???

Would parts be available? Would they be too pricey to make it restoreable? Were they any good to start with?

chucker

OK!! so now tell us other than it being a remington, who or what is it modeled after???? lol  like maybe a cheap knock off of a more expensive homelite of the times... not made in "MEXICO"..............
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Sprucegum

It says "Made in Canada" even has a Toronto address  :o

Mark K

It looks like a pl-4 but not sure. I have about a dozen Remington chainsaws,pl's and sl's, not worth a whole lot. They sell on ebay cheap. Tough old saw but the vibration was terrible. My first saw was a pl-4 that my father bought new, still runs good.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

chainsawr

I do have parts.  However, that saw looks very, very oxidized and might not be worth putting the effort into.  Parts cost wouldn't be huge, but it may be a lost cause when all the metal is corroded like that.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

sawguy21

chucker is onto it. ;D It is a shameless copy of the XL-12, Lombard and others made similar units. Apparently Homelite's suit for patent infringement put Lombard out of business.
The Remington wasn't a bad saw, it was popular with farmers but never caught on with the pro market. Remington Arms sold the division to Desa International of Toronto in the early 70's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!