iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum "Southern Chapter" Get Together

Started by Magicman, April 04, 2010, 09:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I got up at 4:45 Saturday morning and looked outside.  The lights were on in the Guest House, so I knew that DonK was awake and stirring.  I lit the charcoal and by 5:30 we had the "Drumbirds" hanging.

A trip to the Waffle House satisfied our early morning craving for coffee and breakfast.  About 7:30, after eating and shooting the bull for a bit, we decided to check out the birds and see how they were progressing.

CrispyChicks to say the least......Blackened Chicken.......PANIC TIME !!!   We shoulda just had chicken foot stew !!!    Or Grits !!!

Back to the grocery store,  more birds, some heat adjustments..... ::)

Now, we are doing better.  Pinenut takes a helping of Drumchicken

We all enjoy Drumchicken, baked beans, hashbrown casserole, cole slaw, and topped off with banana pudding.

We checked out Greatgrand daddy John's Cherrybark oak tree.  76" diameter.

The Hack-N-Squirt job

We lose one......too much fun for one day

Door prizes.....looks like everyone was a winner !!!

Pinenut - Roy,   Fishpharmer - James,  DonK - DonK,  Radar67 - Terry,   LJMathias - Lon,.....Thanks for sharing your day with the Magicman......Lynn and Pat..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

I had a great time and Lynn And Mrs. Pat are gracious hosts. Thanks for the good food and the hospitality of the guest house. Misty loved the pics of the house. The banana pudding was fine. I wish I had a bowl now. :'(

Had a good day with all the members that came. It was a memorable day.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

PineNut

Everyone had a great time and I know I am looking forward to the time we can have another meeting. With all of the great food you provided and then having another feast today, I am going to have to watch how much I eat for a while. Thank you Lyn and Mrs. Pat for hosting this meeting.

Roy

Burlkraft

Hey...That looks like you guy's had fun  8)  8)  8)

I don't think I've ever seen Terry without a camera around his neck!

Prolly more pics to come Eh?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

timberfaller390

Well shoot, I must have missed the anouncment thread for this. Oh, well maybe next time.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

wwsjr

Really hate I could not make it to your place. It would be good if we could schedule every 3 or 4 months. Maybe next time in north MS.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Radar67

Steve, I am rarely without my camera. I'll have a few pictures to post when the jloader is back up to speed.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Warbird

Looks like good times, guys.  You are lucky to have other forum members living near enough for a visit.

Magicman

Quote from: Warbird on April 05, 2010, 11:11:09 AM
Looks like good times, guys.  You are lucky to have other forum members living near enough for a visit.

But you are only 4600 miles away.  Looks  :o  like poor planning on your part...... :D

Quote from: wwsjr on April 05, 2010, 09:55:51 AM
Really hate I could not make it to your place. It would be good if we could schedule every 3 or 4 months. Maybe next time in north MS.   Willie

If that is an invitation.......I accept.... :)

Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 05, 2010, 09:15:01 AM
Well shoot, I must have missed the anouncment thread for this. Oh, well maybe next time.

??? ??? ???     https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42861.0.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

It is an invitation. I would like to host the next gathering at my place when we can work out a date in a few months. Maybe that will give me the incentive to get the 60 tons of logs and all the slabs cleaned up from my sawmill yard along with some cherry lumber sawed and paid for 6 years ago and still not picked up by the customer.
Looking forward to having everyone here for a visit. May be a long trip for some but we can work out the logistics for a place to stay overnight if needed.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Tony

Quote from: wwsjr on April 05, 2010, 09:55:51 AM
Really hate I could not make it to your place. It would be good if we could schedule every 3 or 4 months. Maybe next time in north MS.

Willie
and Tony   8)

TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Radar67

Here are a few of the pictures I took. Some of my files were too big for the java uploader. so I'll have to doctor on them.

View from the limo

The second largest tree on the place

Here is James (Fishpharmer), you can see the others in the distance.

A view of the largest tree on the place. The Great Grandpa Tree.

Can you pick out the crown of the second largest tree?

A general view of the inside of the hunting cabin. The door is very old. It is from the old homestead and made of cypress. The inside is what once was the outside.

The others need to upload some of their shots.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

pigman

You can tell Fishpharmer is used to walking in cattle pastures. ;D   Or, maybe he is just looking for snakes. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Radar67

I think he was trying to keep from stepping through a hole in the bridge I was standing on.

Radar67

Just a note to all the guys who were at the meeting. The load of lumber was 7224 pounds.

Don K

We weren't too far off. Ya'll were scooting too. I never did catch ya'll. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looks like you Blokes made a good day of it  ;) ;D 8) and you have a nice place there Magic  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Ifn i wasnt so far to row me bloody boat i woulda droped by meself Mate  ;) :D :D :D  but that days coming up pretty dang soon for me ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Radar67

Quote from: Don K on April 06, 2010, 05:37:08 AM
Ya'll were scooting too. I never did catch ya'll. :D

We didn't check up, that's for sure, but we did have some good conversation on the way back.

ljmathias

I sent a PM to Magic earlier thanking him and Pat for a great visit.  Would like to do those kind of things more but being half-retired means I still work my day job and the family thinks I have all do to work on stuff here on the farm (where so many of them live  ;D ).  I guess I should have listened to folks wiser than me= the more retired you are, the busier you'll be...

Magic has the right idea- only works a couple days a week and then posts to the forum the rest of the time  :D.

North Mississippi isn't all that far away and I'd love to make the trip "north" again for the next meeting.  i hear they have pretty good BBQ up Memphis way, no?  One thing I think would be useful is to have a demo or discussion during the meeting- maybe get a sponsor to join us and describe upkeep methods or sawing techniques (quarter sawing, shingles, use of the lathemizer as examples).  That would certainly be a draw for most of us.  Another possibility is community work of some kind- habitat for humanity comes to mind but that's more time-consuming and demanding than I was thinking about.  Maybe something like Pineywoods did for his neighbor- fixing up the place?  How's the old saying go?  Many hands make light work (till someone loses an eye).  OOpss, may be mixing my homilies there.  :-*

Sometime in the future, probably in the fall when it cools back off some down here, I'd be happy to host a meeting here.  I'd try to line up our Mississippi rep for Woodmizer to come demo stuff or maybe just bring something I don't have so people could get a chance to try it out (and of course, I'd hide it before he left so he couldn't take it back with him).  Thoughts?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

wwsjr

LJ,   I have been trying to come up with an idea for something for all when we have another get together. A good friend of mine , also WM mill owner, is a hardwood lumber grader at the local sawmill in Fulton. I am sure he could give us a quick overall view of grading. I could have some boards on hand to grade. I also have another friend, also WM owner, who is a forrester that cruises and buys tracts of timber for loggers. Maybe he could do a short cruise on some of my old timber to give us an insight on how to look at logs standing in the woods. I have 65 acres of mostly older stands of pine and hardwood. Just some thoughts, also it helps me to see other sawmill operation just for ideas on how to better my operation, for example - how do I handle slabs, which way do pull finished lumber, how do I stage logs for sawing, and etc. 

Any other ideas? BTW, I think we can find some good BBQ.

Willie

Magicman

Quote from: wwsjr on April 11, 2010, 08:05:38 AM
Any other ideas? BTW, I think we can find some good BBQ.  Willie   

I'm not sure about all of that other stuff, but the BBQ sounds great...... :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!