iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much water is OK in diesel?

Started by shinnlinger, April 04, 2010, 07:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

The other day I was about to put fuel in my tractor when the wife distracted me and I forgot I had removed the cap and left a funnel in the tank.  It rained moderatly that night and the next morn I relized my error.  The tractor has sat since and not been run.  It only has a gallon or so of diesel in it and of course the little bit of water that got in there on the rainy night.  I don't see a fuel drain, but It wouldn't be hard to change the filter and drain the tank at the same time.

My question is though what would you do?  Fill it up and run it or drain the tank?  What is worse case scenario if I run it with some water in the fuel?  I will probably drain the tank, but am curious to your opinion.

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bill m

I would drain it even if it had a lot of diesel fuel in it. Loosing a gallon of diesel fuel now is a lot better then down time when that water gets sucked up into the injectors or next winter when it freezes.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

isawlogs

None ... drain it .  Water will be on the bottom , wont be hard to drain , there aint that much in it to begin with. All you need to do is pull the fuel line atr the filter .  Most fuel filters will not let water through . Most being the key word here .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jasperfield

Eliminate all of it.

Labor is cheaper than labor & parts.

scsmith42

+1 re draining.

If you leave it in there, it will also tend to have some enzyme's grow on it and over time it will clog up your filters or worse.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

Absolutely drain it. Though the fuel filters/water separators should take the water out, the tiniest bit of water in an injection pump can destroy the pump cause water has no lubricating ability.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bill

Ditto

I'd do all I could to get any water out - as I understand very bad for injection pump and algae growth in the fuel tank - easier to do now while the problem is small ( I regularly throw in an additive to do a bunch of stuff - including remove/soak up small amounts of water and my fuel filter has a spigot of sorts to drain water  )

Leastways my $ 0.02

Good Luck

Ernie

Well Dave, it looks like you have the answer, Get it all out.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

submarinesailor

I agree with all the others about draining it.  BUT, if you can't, try this:  http://www.mwfi.com/Fuel-Additives/PS/PowerService_Diese_911.htm.  A buddy of mine running an F250 SD diesel has had good luck with it.

Bruce

shinnlinger

Well you guys confirmed my thoughts..  thanks!

Now about diesel 911, I thought I should only use that IF I actually have a problem. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Don_Papenburg

Draining would be the leased expensive  option.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mcfcfan

Thoughts from an ex diesel mechanic 15 years, definatley drain the system.
As stated injection pumps do not like water. And are very expensive to overhaul.
Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

stonebroke

power service 911 should only be used to get a diesel started in cold weather. I am told that its effects only last twenty minutes . The other power service products will take small amounts of water out of solution.

Stonebroke

james

also , when using power service , once you get running immediately change your fuel filters it can chew them up
james

Thank You Sponsors!