iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 XP Carb Settings

Started by jteneyck, April 04, 2010, 06:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

I've had no trouble with my 385XP for the 5 or so years I've owned it; in fact, I've never needed to adjust the carb.  But after learning about the problems alcohol can cause I decided to see if I should set it to a richer mixture.  Sure enough, there was a limiter on the Hi speed screw that prevented me from making the mixture any richer.  I screwed a drywall screw into the plastic limiter and pulled it out.  However, in the process I forgot to count how many turns the Hi speed screw was set at.  I set it at 1-1/2 and started the saw, and let it warm up a couple of minutes.  I reved it up and it was rich, so I slowly turned it and settled on about 1-1/4 turns.  Haven't cut with it yet, however. 

Does anyone know what the factory setting should be?  Or, better yet, what settings are you folks using who also have pulled the Hi speed limiter?  Thanks for your help.

Rocky_J

Initial setting will usually be about one turn out. That will get you fired up and you can adjust it from there. Individual results may vary.

Here's a good instructional page for setting your carb. I haven't posted the link in at least 3-4 weeks.  ;D
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

jteneyck

Thanks Rocky.  I'm familiar with Madsens' info.  It's good stuff, but I was hoping someone had something specific to the 385XP.  Maybe it's the same.  Now if I just had a tach, I could set it right for sure. 

Rocky_J

They all are about the same. Most saws are 1 turn out, most of the later Stihl saws are 3/4 turn out. From there the process is the same no matter what name is on the side cover.  8)

ladylake

There bare no 2 saws exatly the same , just start out rich on the high and gradually lean them out untill they cut the fastest.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jteneyck

Thanks Ladylake.  I actually took the saw to the dealer today and had him set it at 11,500 rpm.  The saw as I had it set was about 10,500 at 1-1/4 turns open.  It's now at about 1-1/8 turns.  11,500 is well below the 13,000 rpm limit per Husqvarna.  It sounded much like it did before, which probably means it has always run a little rich, which is fine with me since it's always had lots of power anyway.   

And to those who have reported that you have to replace the Hi Speed plastic limiter after trimming the limit tab, that is not universally true.  On my 385XP there is indeed a spring under the screw that holds it in place w/o the plastic cap.  I confirmed this with the dealer and have run the saw for a couple of hours with no issue and the top end rpm's have not changed. 

Thank You Sponsors!