iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO wood chippers??

Started by Louis, April 02, 2010, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

I'm looking at a pete hj10 anybody  got one or run one?? Any feed back would be great about this one or any others you all mite have run. Thanks Louis

bill m

The guy I used to work for had a Valby chipper. It worked good but had it's limitations. If possible get one with hydraulic feed. It makes a world of difference. Also keep the knives sharp and just as important keep the anvil adjusted properly.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DonT

Check out the Wallenstein chippers,and as mentioned earlier the hydraulic feed is a huge benefit.Also  consider a 6inch chipper by vermeer or bandit,they can be found moderately priced used and they will do as much as your 3-point mounted chipper and are much more maneuverable.I have a vermeer 625 and can take it around the yard with my 4-wheeler.

captain_crunch

Don
How about a picture of the chips ?? Been wondering how fine they are or they like the Utility Company size ??
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

DonT

Chip size can vary,pine and spruce needles tend to come out  whole.if the knives are sharp chips are uniform shapesize ed from a nickel to a quarter.As the knives get dull chips become more stringy.Most of my clients keep there chips for mulch.If my wife wants mulch i usually run some 3-4 inch white cedar pickets through,chips are nice and no green material.I am awful at posting picks but i will try and get some pictures for you.

nas

I have a Wallenstein chipper shredder.  It works great, but I do wish I had gotten the hydraulic feed, and still might.  There are pictures in my gallery which seems to be off line right now ???  The chips can be fed back through the mulcher to make a finer mulch.  It has a 4x10 opening which is good for most of my cedar slabs.http://www.embmfg.com/

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Mark K

I have a Patu chipper with hydraulic feed. We run it on a 80 hp. Same tractor which is a perfect match. Will chip a little bigger than quarter. Hydraulic feed is a must along with a slip clutch pto. Mine came with a shear bolt, as soon as knives showed any sign of getting dull it would shear. Keep the knives sharp and the shearbar adjusted, will last a long time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Holmes

I have a Patu  4" pto chipper .With sharp knives it pulls the wood thru it . Long thin wood up to 4" goes right thru it but pieces with a lot of branches are a LOT of work, almost exhausting. They have to be pushed to get the branches thru it. It does not have a hydraulic feed.
Think like a farmer.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Patu/Valbys arnt a bad choise in chipper for smallscale and  parttime sawmillers under 2to3000 ton log imput ive runn afew over the years  but you need the larger one with atleast an 10" opening for slabs anything narrower than that are a pita to feed with mill edgings on a consitant basis and heavy use dose show up quick on the smaller ones  ;)  And  ill let you in on a little fact they are acctuly made by Valby for patu  ;) if you look close enough at the specs they are one and the same  ;)

My personal choise would be to go for a 36 to 48" H/duty disk chipper like a Morbark,Precision or a Fulgrum as they last for years the oldest one ive run was a 44" dropspout that was 55years old and its still going strong chipping the waste from two laimets and one lt40super  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

wesdor

I also have a Wallenstein -BX42 I believe.  It nearly self feeds without the attachment and is very simple in construction.  Although not American made it is Canadian and that is on my approved list.

Pictures can be found at Iowa Farm Equipment.  Since it is an external link I won't put it into this message, but if you google them they pop up quickly.

Good luck in finding what will fit your needs.

TessiersFarm

Another vote for the walenstein, I've got the 42 manual feed and I have had real good luck with it.  I cut lots of fence posts and chip all the tops with no problems.  I also use it to clear fence lines and field edges.  Deffinatly would buy same thing again.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

nas

Here are the pictures

The chipper mulcher

The chips

The mulch
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Louis

Thanks for all the good info!! We are looking in to the bx62r.

Thank You Sponsors!