iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Deminsion teeth

Started by John Woodworth, April 02, 2010, 01:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Woodworth

Have any of you Mobile Dimension owners found a source for teeth other than MD.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

DanG

I'm pretty sure you can get them from Menominee Saw, one of our sponsors, but when I called a couple of years ago they didn't have the Stellite teeth.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sigidi

You guys on mobile dimension saws, do you use TCT tips? and what size are they?

As DanG said, it's always nice to use a forum sponsor ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

DanG

I don't know what a TCT tip is, but the MD blades use an insertable "3 pattern" tooth.  It is an older style and is getting hard to find.  They are made in solid steel, chrome, carbide, and Stellite, which is a patented alloy.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sigidi

TCT is Tungsten Carbide Tooth - the kind of teeth we use on a Lucas and like most circular blades in skilsaws and the like

bandmiller2

Dan,how do you sharpen your bits,especially the stellite and chrome.A box of 100 bits must last just short of forever.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DanG

You're right Frank.  When I got my mill in early '02, it came with 50 new teeth of each size, and I'm still using on them.  I did buy some more last year, but still using the old ones.  Of course, I ain't doing much sawing anymore. 

I don't have a good way to sharpen on the mill, so I just change them out, then resharpen on the bench grinder.  If they're not chipped, it only takes about a nanosecond.  I keep a couple of sets ready to go in some little ziploc bags, so it only takes about 5 minutes to change'em out. :)

sigidi

Any chance of seeing a pic of these teeth?

oakiemac

I buy some of my teeth from Menominee saw. They are iron teeth so you have to sharpen more often. I usually put them on if I am sawing logs with possible metal because they are considerably cheaper and easier to sharpen. The stellite teeth from MD do last a lot longer but if you hit metal and take out a corner of the tooth then it is hard to get them back to good.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!