iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade wheel belts

Started by TimJr, April 01, 2010, 07:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimJr

Do any of you put anything on the wheel belts to make them last longer or sawdust/sap from building up on them?
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

sdunston

I just scrape off the dust, I was always leary of putint anything on the belt in fear of it sliping,Had this discussion with WM and they said a little dust on the belt would add some crown. I have seen when I use water as a lube the buildup is no were near as bad.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

I've noticed sawdust seems to flake off after it builds to a certin thickness,on band wheels and carriage wheels really not much of a problem.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

TimJr

I usually open the doors and blow out the sawdust with the compressor at the end of the day. That usually works fairly well. I skipped that step two days in a row, and haven't been able to saw for a week or two. When I went to saw today I noticed that there was sap built up pretty thick where the band was touching the belts. After 30 minutes of scraping I finally got to make sawdust. Thanks for the input on this question and many others. This sight is very helpful.
Live each day like it's your last. Your never promised tomorrow.

Magicman

I clean my belts with a wire brush every time I remove a band.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I never clean mine, just let it flake off.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I clean the sawdust off of the belts, just scrape it with a knife and I clean
sawdust out of the entire blade housing everytime I change the blade.
Then at the end of the day, I do a really thorough cleaning of the whole mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You take care of it.......It will take care of you...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logwalker

Are you running belts tight or loose? I run mine tight and never see a build up on them so never have to clean. But I only cut pine occasionally and it is not very sappy so maybe that is why I can get away with it.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sdunston

Quote from: logwalker on April 02, 2010, 08:42:56 PM
Are you running belts tight or loose? I run mine tight and never see a build up on them so never have to clean. But I only cut pine occasionally and it is not very sappy so maybe that is why I can get away with it.

Joe
Joe ,are you running smaller belts to get them tighter?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Chuck White

Wood-Mizer recommends running your bands on B-57 belts, however
some sawyers find that they like the shorter B-56 belts better.
The B-56 belts are tight to get into the groove of the blade wheel, but
they don't flop around like the B-57's do.

Wood-Mizer's theory was, using the B-57 belts, the flopping that they
do will allow sawdust/chips to fall out of the groove.

Just seems to be a matter of personal choice.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Sawdust never gets in the groove on a B56 Goodyear belt but they are a bear to get on. I'd think the tight belts would last longer without going in and out of the groove all the time. Goodyears belts are the only ones I'll buy, some other brands don't sit quite as high and need to be replaced sooner and also some don't fit as tight as they should.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodmills1

I used B56 on the LT 40 but will stay with the loose ones on the 70...BTW I never clean them...I am a diesel and bar oil a squirt or two 3 or 4 times a day guy
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ladylake

I use diesel in the winter, water in the summer. I was just sawing some white ash using diesel and had to use quite a bit to keep the blade clean so I switched to water and soap which did a better job but most times diesel keeps the blade cleaner .  Steve

logwalker

B-56 with some soap and water to install and they last for years. Chips can't get in between when they are tight so that theory is questionable.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!