iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

climbing gear

Started by justintimemoto, March 31, 2010, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

i been looking into getting some gear for quite somethime now and i just want to know what some good gear to get and what  not thanks  ;D
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

bill m

Get some training first. Climbing trees is not something you learn on the fly by yourself. Your training instructors will point you in the right direction with what is good and what is not.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kevin

plasticweld

I learned everything the hard way  I made my own climbing gear, still have it. not that comfortable for long days but it works, I made many mods to it over the years. I worked a few jobs with a ground man that knew less than I did. I was fortunate that about 4 months into it and after many close calls I found a experienced ground man that ran the show and told me what and what not to do. Your perspective is quite narrow hanging from a rope and a set of experienced eyes and guide you through most steps and give you a good 360 degree view of things and prevent many mistakes. I am not sure if there are any old time guys around that can teach you the tricks but if there were a way to work with someone for a time it would be well worth it. The gear is important as far as comfort and your ability to work longer hours but the most important part would a mentor. I only mention because if you had someone around who knew the business they could tell you what worked and the plus and minuses the different styles and gear that you can use.

Kevin

You won't need the safety lanyard if you buy the flip line/rope grab combination.

What is the intended purpose for the rope snap?

You'll need more biners, rigging and climbing, some loop runners not to mention different rope and a rope brake plus a million other things such as slings, blocks etc.

If you don't have everything available along with the knowledge things can go bad really quick in a tree .

chevytaHOE5674

If you want to get into climbing your best bet is to try and work for a tree service. Chances are you will start dragging brush and feeding the chipper, but you can work your way up to climbing, rigging, etc with time. Or you can go to school for the trade. Either way it isn't something you want to get your feet wet in without proper instruction and training. Things can and will go bad in a hurry if your not sure what to do.

DonT

I agree with the others that suggest some formal training.North american training solutions offers some good courses,as well as arbormaster(you get to try out a variety of equipment and figure out what you like and do not like).There is all kinds of learning material available.Jerry Beranak's videos are good.Check out the ISA website,and Sherrill tree for more educational aids.Maybe I missed it but i did not see any rope in your wishlist?What where the 13kn biners for saddle accessories,because the 13kn biners do not meet climb standards(24kn).I have a a buckingham master and it has been a good saddle,but this is an area that I might upgrade.As Kevin pointed out you  have just touched on the tip of the iceberg as far as equipment goes.That said I learned to climb 4yrs ago,do it for a living and love it.

captain_crunch

I would talk to the tree boys and see what they use there are several different spur lengths so you need to know which works best for your needs. The E-bay ones with them leather pads will take the desire to climb out of you fast, Mine have Aluminium pieces with foam pads and they wrap around the front of your shin so the strap dont have to bite into your leg.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

justintimemoto

thanks foe the imput aboout train and stuff , but i want  to save up for gear so im picking out the stuff i would like to get i picked out a few more things that i think might need lol

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=KH453S
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RP145
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=12BL 150
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WS 34

when if i do get the gear i plan on just climbing alot and practiceing one of my buddys climb for the grid, and my gf dad climbed for verizon
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

bill m

when if i do get the gear i plan on just climbing alot and practiceing one of my buddys climb for the grid, and my gf dad climbed for verizon
[/quote]
Verizon does not have tree climbers working for them. Climbing poles is nothing like climbing trees. I started climbing 26 years ago and still do. I have also trained many of my employees over the years. Find a good tree service to work for that offers in house training so you will know how to use the gear when you do buy it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DonT

I like my buckinghams with velcro cushion wrap,but even then at the end of the day you still feel it.I have moved away from spurs and only use them if I have to now.I find i am for the most part a more efficient climber on rope.Still did not see any rope in the wishlist?

justintimemoto

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=12BL+120&catID= thats the rope i picked out.  now i know all you said i should get training wich is totally understand able which i will work on. but i think this is my last quiestion for now is how is the gear i picked out?
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Maine372

the gear is only as good as the climber using it. a farrari cant win a race with a gorrilla behind the wheel.

rather than dumping loads of cash on gear, get a job in the tree industry. many companies will help you by gear, provide you gear, or you will be able to buy older gear CHEAP from coworkers who are upgrading.

also, climbing gear doesnt do much for you if you dont have an arborist license and insurance.

justintimemoto

i got a job i just want to get the stuff because i can do side jobs at some point b.c people around here ask me to cut stuff for them and i alwsays wanted to buy the stuff to do it gor the past 2 years,   my dad owns his own business so i could go under him if i ever wanted to get in the business
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Kevin

That's a new climbing rope by Yale, it looks good but what are you using for a rigging rope?

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: justintimemoto on April 01, 2010, 07:33:47 PM
because i can do side jobs at some point b.c people around here ask me to cut stuff for them...

Have you priced insurance lately for tree work...?

justintimemoto

nope im 18 i dont plan on getting  into stuff right away. i just made to post b/c all i wanted to kow what gear was good and stuff
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

VTMapleFarmer

If your starting to climb definitly take a training coarse or college level program to get started. For buying gear I would personally buy everything from Sherrill Tree Comapny. The catalog has many helpfull hints and sugestion for buying your gear.

justintimemoto

just priced out at sherill tree they got better deals and there price ended up being cheaper  so i am goign to go with them when i go to buy it and it has that manual in the kit i want to buy and it has more stuff in it thanks for the information guys
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

DonT

Check out wespur as well.They have free shipping on orders over 150.00

justintimemoto

ok thanks  ill show you my wish list i made up on sherill tree heres a link http://www.sherrilltree.com/show-wishlist?wlId=94&cusId=161116
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

Shotgun

Quote from: justintimemoto on April 01, 2010, 07:33:47 PM
   my dad owns his own business so i could go under him if i ever wanted to get in the business

What type of business does your dad own? My opinion: Unless you have money to burn, slow down...you have the cart waaaaaay before the horse. I think that there are a number of people here telling you the same thing. Find out what you need for the type of work that you'll be doing. Working in trees is a serious business. You really need to "learn the ropes" first, so to speak.  Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do and however you decide to do it.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!