iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO cut off saw?

Started by woodpeckerlips, March 29, 2010, 11:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodpeckerlips

i've seen them. a freind of mine has 2.   he wont part with either.   i've looked up every thing i can think youd call these things on the computer.   i cant find one.   anyone know where a 3 pt hitch swing table cutoff saw can be found,  used or new?  i've looked up tractor buzz saw, pto saw, tractor fire wood saw, pto bucksaw, 3 pt hitch saw, and everything else.    am i safe to assume that these are no longer made?   surely not? any help would be appeciated in locating one!

scrout

woodpeckerlips

thats it!    thanks so much.   

Tripp

DanG!  I did not know those saws were still in production.

Tripp

bull

I have a cordsaw brand 3pt hitch with slide table $500.00 will take it away.....

scrout

bandmiller2

WP lips,Those saws are around I've owned a couple over the years they were real popular before chainsaws became common.Look around,mayby farm equip, dealers back lot or junk collector farmer.My neighbor has one for a lawn orniment.Their not popular any more and they give OSHA fits please use care when you find one.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jcbrotz

I didn't think any insurance company in the world would let someone make new these days.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

woodpeckerlips

bm2,jcbrotz
    my old frick 00 was made between 1924-1934.   dont think there was any osha around back then.    pretty sure a mule was worth more than a man back then.   so the cord wood saw would fit right in!       just converted my mill over from a flat belt to 5 (c) v-belts and slid the power unit right up to the husk.    in reality, i was way more concerned with that flat belt getting haywire and hurting someone than i'd be with the cord wood saw.   when your running a circle mill, standing up by the blade, reaching over getting peices away from your head saw and adjusting saw guides while running.    well, i'll just say that the cord wood saw is alot less intimidating!

bandmiller2

WP lips,most of the three point saws I've seen needed a right angle flat pulley setup to run them.One of my saw rigs mounted on the front of a two cyl. deere belt from the pulley.The outher I made with a sliding table that was stationary sat on skids you belted it up to what was available.A cordwood rig with a swinging table is not hard to make if I recall 1 3/8 is the standard arbor size.Depending how you mount it you want the nut so it tends to tighten itself.The danger is with any repetitive machine ,like a shingle mill, you let your mind wonder to outher things.Frank C.

Chuck White

The first thing I noticed after seeing the pics of the buzz saws, was the amount of shielding (guards) that are on these saws now-a-days.
Back when I was a kid, we had one on the farm that ran off of a flat belt on the back of the 8N Ford.
There wasn't a single guard of any kind on that buzz saw.
In order to raise the 3pt hitch, the PTO had to be in gear and when it came up, the blade was spinning and was coming right at your back, so you had to be very careful.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodpeckerlips

bm2
most i've seen are with pulley also! i'm looking for one to hook up to the pto shaft.   found a place in vermont that sells them new for $1500 plus shipping.  trying to find one closer for less first.

captain_crunch

I only have one question ;D ;D As long as they sitll build powersaws why would you wan't one of them man eating Sharks fer ::) ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

woodpeckerlips

to clean up the scab slab piles.  they make quick work of these piles. i like to keep my mill yard nice and neat. get me some pattets, whack all the trash up and throw it on pallets. sell the slabs for fire wood. and i can pick up and load someones pickup truck. or i can deliver and its already stacked and ready for whom ever to use. meanwhile when someone comes to my mill, it doesnt look like someone just blew up a bridge.  it will look all neat and professional. i have no problem getting rid of my saw dust. everyone wants a load cause i load them. i'll give them all the fire wood they want and they either dont have a saw or are to lazy to get it the pile and cut the slabs up and dig them out and load em.  if i make it easy for whom ever, there wont be any problem getting rid of the stuff and they wont mind paying.    i'm certain.

captain_crunch

Maybe with short slabs it would be better but I generally cut 16-18 ft logs and wrestleing them Up to saw is a bit of a chore. When we have more than one of us sawing we have a roll case for slabs and cut them off at end of it. Eventualy want hopper and conveyer to run them into pile. Would really love a hog to grind em up to make hogfuel for corals. But as old timers said you got to crawl before you walk. Also was told as a kid a Buzz saw was about as safe as haveing an Alligator in the tub with you ::) ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

woodpeckerlips

captain crunch<   your probly right about long lengths.   i cut 20 +length alot.   if i go that way i"ll probly have to wack em into to even start>    the cost on the buzz vers a hog or chipper ect and a power unit to run one is alot cheaper to get rid of them is all i was looking at!    besides i have a old tractor that needs a job!

captain_crunch

If you are comfortable with the Buzz saw you could build a roll case long enough and put ole Buzzy on end and that will work great. Around here them used 2"X2ft rollers are cheap at times we just weld nuts on channel iron to hold them. There are several mill wrecking yards hearabouts and they salvage things like that. I was going to drill the end of a small powersaw bar and build a cut off saw that way. Strange how a powersaw don't worrie me but would not walk with in 10 ft of buzz saw ;D ;D ;D ;D

woodpeckerlips

Crunch,  I don't know what a roll case is?  Sounds intetesting though. Can you give a desciption?

captain_crunch

Best way I can describe it a ladder with rolling rungs or conveyer without belt I can post a pic tomorrow
Brian

Shetland Sheepdog

Quote from: captain_crunch on April 01, 2010, 11:49:54 AM
Maybe with short slabs it would be better but I generally cut 16-18 ft logs and wrestleing them Up to saw is a bit of a chore. When we have more than one of us sawing we have a roll case for slabs and cut them off at end of it. Eventualy want hopper and conveyer to run them into pile. Would really love a hog to grind em up to make hogfuel for corals. But as old timers said you got to crawl before you walk. Also was told as a kid a Buzz saw was about as safe as haveing an Alligator in the tub with you ::) ::) ::)

Brian, I've sawn a lot of firewood with them buzz saws! My first experience with one was 54 years ago with one front mounted, flat belt driven, on a Fordson Major! Man, I was in awe of that tractor! LOL I usually did "take away" back then! We have one at each farm now, and both have been converted from flat belt to PTO by using the shaft and right angle gear box from old Cunningham hay conditioners. The most expensive part of the conversion is buying the V belt pulleys to go from the gear box to the arbor.
Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

west penn

I've used those buzz saws before and they can be a lot of work- especially for 1 person. Nowdays I stack my slbs on 6x6s with 1 end even and with my 24 inch husky I can have those slabs cut and stacked on pallets ina lot less time and sweat than I could with a buzz saw. The big advantage of the buzz saw was that your slabs would be a more uniform length.

captain_crunch

Here is what I call a roll case

Brian

bandmiller2

WP lips,You could copy your buddies buzz saw, what would help for slabs is a longer than usual swinging table to support the long slabs.The long table would keep you from having to hold the slabs down with less tendency to bind.Most old mills used a jump or swing saw to cut slab where the saw moves not the slab.A buzz saw is a crosscut saw so the angle of the cutting edge should pass through the arbor hole.Any hook and they tend to grab, negitive hook and their harder to push into the wood.Frank C.

woodpeckerlips

i have a couple (roll cases) confused me!   i think i call them roller tables or something. i was thinking a roll case was some kind of contraption i hadnt seen yet.    makes a good idea the way yours is set up in the picture.  i'm thinking i'm gonna take that design and at theend of my mill work something out like the picture>   thanks cpt crunch.

captain_crunch

Biggest problem I have is no matter how you cut slabs they have to go somewhere this is where you need conveyor stacking them on  pallet takes time( at least for me this hand labor) Fire wood sells for 175.00 per cord here so if I get75.00 per cord for slabs and U load out of pile I don't get blisters loading what I would have to chip or burn anayway 8) 8) 8)
Brian

Thank You Sponsors!