iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for hydraulic power unit info

Started by bruce29, March 29, 2010, 09:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

First off I would like to say this forum is a very good source of info, and everyone seems very helpful & full of knowledge. I am in the process of building myself a bandmill & at the point I need a hydraulic power source. I have the head up & down powered with a 12 volt gearmotor and I am going to use hyd to power everything else(carriage travel, log loader,turner, stops ,, clamps , toe boards, etc).I had a hyd power unit that I was planning on using but after testing it it is only a 1 gpm pump. I dont know exactly how many gpm I need , but don,t think that 1gpm is enough. I am planning on using a 7hp gas engine to power a hyd pump for all this. I would like to find a self contained shaft driven power unit( pump mounted in reservior) to connect my engine to . I think this is the way the b20 is, but havent actually seen one. Any info on this or pictures of similiar setups would be great. My thinking in this design would be that I wouldnt need the long hyd hoses & hose carriers & seems like a good design. Thanks for all replies.

bandmiller2

Bruce,your in good shape because you have up and down self contained on your carriage the big problem is getting the power from the carriage to the stationary base.A power unit on the base will power everything else.One GPM will probibly power you feed hyd motor ok but may be slow on some of the outher functions.Can you put a larger pump on the unit,pumps have standard mounts for a range of GPM's.Pipe or tube can be used for longer runs to save hose and it tends to cool the oil too.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Bruce, with a 7 hp motor, I would use an off-the shelf 2 stage log splitter pump. Surplus center has name brand pumps for around $130 and most likley will have a cast adapter plate to mount the pump right on your motor. these pumps put out 11 -12 gpm at 300 psi for fast low load situations and then automaticly switch to 3 gpm at 3000 psi for real heavy loads like a hydraulic loader. I made my oil resevoirs from a peice of 4 inch pipe with the ends welded on from flat plate. Plumb a spin on filter in the return line. There's a thread on here about adding hydraulics to a woodmizer LT40, complete with lots of pics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Good questions and answers.  Homemade hydraulics may be the way I go as well.  So I appreciate the information.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

My B20 uses a 6hp with a direct mounted pump with a separate reservior, I'd guess around 5 gpm.   I checked over at the Surplus Center , it looks like it takes a little over 1hp per gpm at 1500# psi . Your 7 hp should drive a 5 to 6 gpm pump, I'd go with a single stage which cost less and works well on my B20.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dad2nine

ladylake

That's a good price on a 2 stage pump around $110, single stage ones are $80 to $90 at the Surplus Center.  I'd go with a single stage, that 2 stage kicks into low gear at 500#, you wouldn't want it kicking from one stage to the next when using hydraulics for the head drive.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bruce29

thanks for the replies. I think I would be better off with a single stage pump for my application. I am familair with SurplusCenter. I will check on the pump & reservoir & other supplies I need tommorow. I would like to see some pictures of a B20 setup to see how it is  mounted out of the way of everything etc.

ladylake

It's mounted down in the frame below the log deck, you can't except a one finger typer to get pics on here.    Steve

eireog68

it seams that any of the b20 owners on here are not good at or dont like taking pics of there b20 so if you can wait for me to go back up state and the snow is not to deep i will gladly take pics for you if you still need them but as the other guys stated the b20 uses a 6.5 hp intek i/c 206cc engine with a direct connect pump installed low in the frame with hoses conecting it to the tank. i am about to change mine over to an electric start because of back issues i am unable to pullstart the engine.
Back to Basics with new age tools
If we all had desk jobs who would make the desks
Buy American and give your children job,s
or buy imported and have to support them for life.

sdunston

Just keep in mind that a 12v power up and down is alot less work to add a computer setworks than a hyd setup
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Chris Burchfield

I don't know much about hydraulics.  They work or don't work, I have them on my mill and couldn't do without them.  I've called the manufacturer when I had problems, they helped me work it out over the phone.  Don't forget northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. They have some pretty good stuff.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_hydraulics
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

bruce29

Thanks for the replies. I found a shaft drive hydraulic power unit on ebay pretty cheap, so I am going to give that  a try. Its listed at a 4 gpm pump, but has only a 4.75 gal tank , so I am a little concerned about the fluid heating up. I think the 4 gpm will be fine for all my functions , except unsure about the chain turner may need more?

pineywoods

Bruce29, 4 gpm will probably be plenty. I used a 3gpm pump and a 1 gallon tank, works fine, but I don't have a chain type turner, mine's a claw type.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom the Sawyer

Bruce29

Sorry for the delay in getting you some pics of the B-20 pump setup.  We had a deep snow (for us)and it was in the barn but I have added a set of photos to the album in my gallery.  If you need something from a different angle or a closeup, let me know.  Mine was built in the fall of 2007.

Tom

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

bruce29

Thanks for the pictures Tom. It always helps to see something similiar in design.

Thank You Sponsors!