iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to start sawing, Will frozen logs mess up my mill??

Started by Valley Mick, March 28, 2010, 11:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valley Mick

Got a question.  Was wondering how to tell if a log is frozen, and if it will mess with sawing it.  Want to cut up some poplar (aspen).
It's been above freezing for a little while off and on.  Gettin the sawing itch.  Have been told frozen logs will mess a band mill up fast.  Is this hog wash or not???
But have also been told winter is a good time to saw cedar logs???  Is this a matter of opinion or is there a reason behind it.  Thanks alot
Why do you always realize it was a bad idea after sometin's BUSTED !

red oaks lumber

wew saw all year long, frozen wood wont bother anything
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sdunston

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 28, 2010, 12:08:18 PM
wew saw all year long, frozen wood wont bother anything
Same here, they say less hook angle and keep the feed rate the same but slow down blade speed. On the other hand I have used 10deg blades on frozen hemlock with no problem,,dust just freezes on the boards.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ladylake

4* hook works good, a liitle less set will keep the sawdust from packing behind the blade.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Toolman

I've heard the ice crystals may be harder on your blades(dull quicker), but I've never really noticed much of a difference. Cant say that about chainsaw blades though. Ice will dull them pretty quick.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

stumpy

I've found that frozen logs are no problem, but partially frozen give me alot of trouble.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

dad2nine

Personally I like sawing logs that are frozen a lot better than not frozen. The log just lays there and the board come off as flat as can be - it's like sawing a log with zero stress  :)

dad2nine

Quote from: dad2nine on March 28, 2010, 09:47:41 PM
Personally I like sawing logs that are frozen a lot better than not frozen. The log just lays there, the band sings a nice song and the board come off as flat as can be - it's like sawing a log with zero stress  :)

Puffergas

Just look out for frozen mud on the surface of the log.  >:(

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

paul case

related to this,
do any of youall notice blades dulling faster with frozen logs?
i sawed a little this last week. it was frozen post oak. i noticed that my blades didnt last as long. i was using new blades. usually i get 400 to 500 ft on a new blade and i was actually only getting 300 ft or less. i started with a new blade and sawed 1 log into 8 2x12-16' and some flitches and made 2 cuts on the second log and it was getting dull. put on another new one and sawed 2 more logs and had to change it. the third blade finished the job that totalled 870ft. logs were not skidded and were real clean. my feed speed was much slower than normal but that may be because i am a pansy when its cold. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

red oaks lumber

we might have a little shorter blade sharpness in frozen wood but sawing too slow will dull your blade also.push the feed speed as hard as you can ,to the point of band wave then back down just a touch
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

terrifictimbersllc

I like sawing frozen and use 9 degree blades.  One problem I've had is determining whether the wood is sound, when there are lines or seams, etc, it isn't always easy to tell if it's a natural coloration or a crack.  Sometimes water in voids leaves boards looking like the wood is filled with epoxy, it looks great but you know it might not be.  It can be a problem if you're not sure boards are meeting the customer's requirements.  Throwing down the board hard is one test.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

The 1 1/4 blades resaw blades do okay on frozen wood. The 1 1/2 inch wide blades do okay on the Woodmizer. We reduce the hook angle down to about 8 degrees. The 2 inch wide blades used to not cut worth a hoot in frozen logs. We tried everything; hook angle, set you name it. They would wave all over the place.This year, where we switched to Kasko .45 thick blades, as opposed to the .55 Woodmizer blades, they are cutting darned good in frozen logs. It makes no sense. I can't explain it.

bugdust

I finally got to saw a few white pines last week and found the surface was froze hard enough that I had trouble getting the chain saw into the log. Once I began milling, the 10° went easily through the log. I began by leaving a few boards on the cant before off bearing and found them froze together. From that point I pulled each board separately. I've never sawed completely frozen logs, but these guys say to use lesser degree pitches. Since I don't depend on sawing through cold weather I stay content sitting close to the fire.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Peter Drouin

I use woodmizer .55 1/1/4 7s cuts all wood here good, froze or not   8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

A few issues I've had with frozen logs ...

1) When the log is cold enough to freeze the sapwood, you'll sometimes find your blade tries to follow the interface between the heartwood and the sapwood. It's fine when the blade is buried in the sapwood, or when it's cutting deep into the heartwood.

2) When the surface of a log has ice or frozen snow on it, even very small amounts of dirt will dull your blade quickly. The ice traps the particles of dirt and prevents the blade from blasting them out as the tooth passes. This is especially true on the exit side. I've seen sparks flying off the blade where it exits a frozen log.

3) Slabs and flitches freeze to the cant.

4) Frozen logs can be hard to clamp and will sometimes roll on your opening cut.

5) Icy logs can slip all over the deck of the mill when you load them, and often won't stay put when you try to turn them to just the right position.

6) Icy sawdust can build up on everything. Be sure to clean all the surfaces as soon as you finish sawing -- especially inside the blade housing.

I don't think ice itself will cause a blade to dull. A few years ago the Wood-Mizer Way had an article about sawing blocks of ice on a band mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!