iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade log scale?

Started by Night Raider, March 27, 2010, 04:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I occasionally find myself thinking a log scale would be handy but not often enough to pay $50 for one from logrite.  I was wondering if anyone has made there own and if there was a 'pattern' on the internet somewhere to make all the marks.

thanks

bill m

GK sales has them for $18.00. The last one I bought I paid $10 at a loggers show.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

maple flats

My cheapest 2 were actually free hand outs from a show. They will measure up to 24". However if you want to make one just go to the tool box on this forum and all of the info is there, you could make one up to any diameter reasonable because the tool box has the complete range. You might be better off going to GKS, link:
http://www.gksales.net/   then go to accessories, they have log rules (log scales) in International, scribner or doyle for $18.95 ea.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Phorester

My two cents:

You're young.  Spend the money to buy one which will last your lifetime.

Or, borrow one, make a stick the same size and shape, and use the borrowed one and copy the marks onto your stick.

Check with forestry schools, either locally or online.  Some of them offer log scale sticks or biltmore sticks cheap.

Night Raider

yeah after I posted I look around and thought about it, just get the right tool for the job and be done with it.  Anyone know a supplier in canada I can order from?

Thanks

WH_Conley

I have used my Conway-Cleveland for years, looks like it will be several more. I got mine before Logrite offered theirs, heck I got it before they were even in business. There is one that will be the last one you ever have to buy, long as nobody steals it.

http://store.logrite.com/logsc36dow.html
Bill

4genlgr

i'm in midcoast maine and most of the saw shops around me usually keep one or two
i have also seen them at a couple of local hardware stores especially ones that sellchain saws  i have a folding doyle that i bought by mistake as its not used around here had a nice folding INT rule and lost it it was nice to have in the truck didn't have to find a safe place for a three foot breakable item

SwampDonkey

Why not just make a table with lengths and diameters. They are sometimes published, but you can make up your own with the formula using a spreadsheet. Just be sure which scale you want to use and use their formula. A sheet of paper, maybe 1/10 of a cent in cost, fold up and put in your pocket. Ok, you'll need a Lufkin tape also to measure top inside diameter. :D If your writing is better than mine, you could use a permanent marker and mark on the reverse of a yard stick a little table to scale representing various lengths at each diameter increment with the scale. A bit tedious maybe.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

steveforest

I borrowed a log scale and made marks on my machete for DBH. Recently, I thought why not measure DBH with a flat tape, then transfer the marks to a machete, stick or Johnson rod. That way the marks will be calibrated to your arm and eye. Forget about the Johnson rod, bad idea. :D
Don't mess with success

mad murdock

spencer makes a nice scaling tape, kind of like a regular tape measure, but calibrated in scribner for logs, just measure the dia, then look on the back of the tape for the BF based on the length of the log.  I use this tape for rough measure only.  The only way to get an accurate read is to invest in a scaling book, bailey's sells them.  Kind of pricey for how small the book is, but an invaluable tool IMHO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

davidlarson

A real log scale provides more information than this gadget, but I improvised a device to simply measure the dbh of a standing tree, if that is what you need to know.  I used two ordinary carpenter's framing squares, laid the long side of one directly over the long side of the other, and fastened them to each other with two loops of bell wire.  The result was a U-shaped contraption, the vertical parts of which were the two short arms of the framing squares, and the horizontal part of the U comprised of the two long arms of the squares, which could slide over each other.  I held this gadget horizontally at dbh so that it enclosed the tree trunk, and added the parts of the lengths of the long arms of the framing square to get the dbh in inches.
David L.

bill m

Quote from: davidlarson on March 29, 2010, 06:29:29 PM
A real log scale provides more information than this gadget, but I improvised a device to simply measure the dbh of a standing tree, if that is what you need to know.  I used two ordinary carpenter's framing squares, laid the long side of one directly over the long side of the other, and fastened them to each other with two loops of bell wire.  The result was a U-shaped contraption, the vertical parts of which were the two short arms of the framing squares, and the horizontal part of the U comprised of the two long arms of the squares, which could slide over each other.  I held this gadget horizontally at dbh so that it enclosed the tree trunk, and added the parts of the lengths of the long arms of the framing square to get the dbh in inches.
David L.
That won't work for scaling logs. Saw logs are measured inside the bark on the small end.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

Sounds more like a home made tree calipre than a log scale.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!