iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you replace Dolmar 7900 oiler?

Started by tbrickner, March 26, 2010, 09:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

Hi all,

Wanted to find out how you change a Dolmar 7900 oiler.  I have the spring clip off of the unit but can't seem to get the clutch off.  It looks like you need a special tool to get the clutch off to get access to the oiler pump mechanism.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get to the oiler?

Have other folks had problems with oilers on these models?

Thanks,
Tom

Rocky_J

I recall reading online reports about problems with the supply line back when the 7900 first came out.

Having never seen a 7900 clutch but having worked on many others, I'll just say that you need to block the piston using a piston stop (or small rope such as starter cord shoved in the cylinder- don't get it caught in the ports) and then rotate the clutch clockwise to remove it. The threads are reversed so that it won't spin off when the saw is running. There will either be a place to put a wrench on the clutch or else there should be a slot where you can set a punch or beaterdriver and smack it with a hammer to spin the clutch off.

Remove the clutch, drum and sprocket. There will be a worm gear to drive the oiler on the crankshaft. That is often an item that fails in this type of situation. If it's ok, keep going. Clean off all the goop and crud (I use an air nozzle and goggles to protect my eyes) so you can see the oiler pump. Some have a line going to the oil tank and others are sealed with a grommet. Make sure oil is getting to the pump. Check the supply line going from the oiler to the outlet port where it feeds to the bar. If it's cracked or torn then oil will pump all over inside the case and won't get to the bar.

Any more questions, just ask.  :)

tbrickner

Thanks Rockey J.

I appreciate the help.  I did try to remove the clutch but it has some cheap cast iron part that broke off so I guess I have to wait till the clutch remover tool comes in (April 7th Ahhhh!) to get some more surface area on the clutch so I don't break off any more ears on it.

I do have the oil pump sitting here and it is just as you described it.  I guess like you said this is a typical wear item on the saw.  Hopefully once I get the tool in I can have this thing cleaned out and find out if it is an oil line or the worm gear on the pump.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!