Forwarding with logrite arch

Started by Rick Alger, March 26, 2010, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Alger

I am considering  buying an arch to forward pre-bunched  small logs and pulpwood. Do you have any information on how much wood I could forward in a day over a quarter mile distance with the tractor arch?

Ironwood

ALOT,
one of the advantages of an engineered piece like the Logrite is it's rigidity and lighter weight. I built my own smaller one and had to go back an "redress" the rigidity issue.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rick Alger

Yeah, I'm not a fabricator. Just a dumb horselogger with the idea of having a tool that will work with either a tractor or the horses depending on the situation.

How much is A LOT?   Any measure will do.  Tons, cords, MBF, pickup loads.

okie

There are ALOT of variables. ;)
How timber is laid out, terrain, manpower, and size of timber are only a few. In tightly bunched timber and flat smooth terrain with a helper or better 2 you can tote logs out nearly as fast as you can safely drive your tractor.
I really believe that with arch work an atv is faster unless you are moving really big or long stuff that has lots of drag. Reason being, if the logs you are moving are properly hooked and balanced within the arch, there is very little pull resistance, I can move most balanced logs that will fit my arch by hand.
BTW hauling logs in an arch downhill with an atv can be bad news if you aren't super careful. 
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

jander3

Hauled many 28' 12"-15" diameter red pine cabin logs through the woods with an ATV, a hand made log arch, and a LogRite Jr. arch.  I was really impressed with the LogRite Jr as some of the terrain was very rocky and I put some big-time stress on that little arch; she held up very well.

Working alone, these logs took about 40 minutes each from lay down area to the skids I set up at my cabin.  About 2/3 a mile though the woods via goat path.

When I hook the arch up to the tractor the operation is slower (I run in low and take my time); however, the ATV will not pull a 35' log up a hill with one end dragging (unless you have a heck of a run at it).  If the log is heavy and the terrain won't support a tractor, I have to use a 10,000 battery powered winch, which takes forever.

zopi

One of my next projects is going to be an arch...as soon as I get done with my (buddies) welding trailer...looks like I'm going to re-fab an old car dolly into an arch...this ought to be interesting.

But I digress...never moved logs with an ATV..I'm too poor/cheap to buy one. I do use
a 3pt boom pole and a set of lifting tongs to good effect though...can move some big bloody logs with a middlin' sized tractor...methinks I need a few front end weights for the bigger ones though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.