Sponsors:

Why do so few use real names here?

Started by TJB, March 25, 2010, 10:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJB

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

ErikC

Good question. Unless TJB is your real name, you aught to know.  ??? My guess is anonymity. Oh, and Tom was already taken. :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Bibbyman

Maybe you can blame me.

Years and years ago on another forum in another galaxy far, far away,  I used my name.  I started getting phone calls from people who tracked me down.  Most just wanted to visit or to ask me things instead of replying on the forum.  I soon tired of this and took to using the handle Mary give me when we first got a sawmill and I took up wearing bibs. I noticed after that a lot of new people used a handle instead of their name.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TJB

ErikC, Mine is TJ Brown, I have always signed it TJB. lol

Good reason Bibbyman, people know my name because of my woodwork so I just use it. I will admit that I have had a few people that I could have done without meeting find me, so I did take my contact info off my website.
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Magicman

A quick look at your profile revealed most of your name.... :D

In my case,  back when I had a "real paying job",  most folks called me "Magicman".   I've had it for well over 40 years.

Somewhere there is a thread about "screen" names and such.  I'll try to find it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ErikC

I thought maybe the T was for Tom, and you were too late to claim it :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

TJB

I was shortchanged. TJ is my whole name, initials only. I guess the correct way to write it would be Tj, but I have always wrote it in caps.
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Texas Ranger

Because, we are all figments of your imagination.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TJB

Didnt think of that Ranger, guess I better lay off the booze! ;D
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I use a nickname and keep my true identity private because I'm a paranoid freak and I know for a fact that all of you are secretly out to get me.  ;D

Some people have a privacy thing.
I personally have no problem with anyone knowing my name. 
My real name is Glenn Hosenosedegeswaldos. :D
You can call me by my real name or my nickname, just don't call me after 11.

TJB

Thanks Magicman

That's pretty good Moose
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

ElectricAl

Some choose a name that better describes themselves.

If I did not have an Electric sawmill, Electric edger, Electric fork lift, and 2 Electric chain saws......I'd just be Al.  How boring it that.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

Are you the Al that Chevy Chase and Paul Simon were singing about?

captain_crunch

Simple truth if I used me real name no one would belive a word I said :D :D
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Wenrich

I've used my real name for years, mainly on this forum.  Controversial forums I use a handle.  I feel I handle myself in a professional manner, so I don't care if people know who I am.

Since I'm in the phone book, I've gotten a few very interesting calls.  There was a guy who wanted to fly me over 500,000 acres in Africa to do a timber cruise.  There was a woman who was having problems with a consulting forester in PA.  A headhunter in CA wanted me to be an expert witness for a client in OR on a patent infringement case.  Sawmill development in Africa.  And just recently, my opinion on harvesting 30,000 acres of blowdown in Central America.

None of these have actually worked into a money paying job as of yet, but they sure were interesting.  They all searched me out through search engines and some pointed right back here to this forum. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

I think some of the people on Forums like this don't use their real names because they've
either had a bad experience in the past, or they just don't want to take a chance in the future.  ;)

I usually just go straight forward.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

I use a contraction of my real name because it makes a better cussword than Dan Gwaltney does. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ElectricAl

Quote from: Tom on March 25, 2010, 11:03:55 PM
Are you the Al that Chevy Chase and Paul Simon were singing about?

Yep, but that was back when life was simple.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Cedarman

Cedarman says it all, much better than Richard
My caver friends  call me "Fig".  Figure out my last name?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Well all my freinds either call me by my name or mainly get called  ,Rocket, Spruce/Moose, Older blokes i been hanging around with since i was a kid call Young Maca or T.K and Sugar (my grandfathers nicknames ;)  ;D ;D )

when i joined here about 20 months ago i was just starting to rebuild my grandfathers Meadows Mill so i just typed in Meadows Miller Mate  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D I have no issues with using my real name which i do at the bottom of every post  ;) ;D  but nick names are cool  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TJB

There are some cool nicknames here. I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with using them, I was just wondering why people did. I have enjoyed hearing some of the reason behind the names. The sawmillers and loggers I met growing up were always interesting and fun to talk to and I see all you guys on here are also. 

TJ
TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

Meadows Miller

There are some bloody good ones on here isnt there Mate   ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tonto

Got my nickname when I was 18. Worked in a tire business and one of the owners said I wasn't moving fast enough for him while changing truck and tractor tires. He said you move like a dead Indian, if you last here, you will be known as "Tonto". Well,  the nickname stuck and I lasted there 21 years and he didn't. Tonto (Chris)
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Bibbyman

Mary and I were at a forestry show years back.  I guy came both days and hung around the Wood-Mizer display.  We talked for hours total over the two days. He had a farm, some trees, some logs, some need for lumber, and the desire for a sawmill.  It sounded like he was real interested in buying a WM mill.   I made what turned out a mistake of giving him my business card and also giving him info to getting onto the Forestry Forum.

He ended up buying a home-made mill from somebody on the Forum I think.  But that wasn't the problem.  The problem was his "day job" as some kind of broker meant he was in front of the PC all day.  He would watch the Forum and when I'd log on,  he'd call me.  He was a plenty fine guy but I didn't need to take him to rise, if you know what I mean.  'Corse, he had problems with his mill and nobody else to go to.  I couldn't help him as I've never seen his mill or wasn't there to see what his problem was.  Got to be a real problem.  Fortunately,  he moved on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!