iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee makers

Started by D Hagens, March 23, 2010, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Have any of you guys noticed that most coffee pots seem to spill all over the place when you first pour a cup? We've had many coffee makers over the years and they all have had the same problem.
Even at the 7-11 their coffee pots do the same thing.  food3

ohsoloco

I don't use a coffee maker with a glass carafe anymore (I use the insulated ones...no heating element needed on the coffee maker  :) ), but if it's one with a lid you can flip up with your thumb it doesn't spill if it's up. 

D Hagens

Quote from: ohsoloco on March 23, 2010, 10:28:43 PM
I don't use a coffee maker with a glass carafe anymore (I use the insulated ones...no heating element needed on the coffee maker  :) ), but if it's one with a lid you can flip up with your thumb it doesn't spill if it's up. 

Hmmmmmm........never thought about lifting the lid, will get the wife to try that in the morning.......if I can get her up before noon! zzzz_smiley smiley_whip

Radar67

The spillage is usually caused by tipping the pot up to far, too fast. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ErikC

Opening the lid is what I do, otherwise it dribbles all over. ::)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Coon

:D   Just go and get yourself a big funnel.   :D

I know with some of the coffee pots it just don't matter what you do you will spill or dribble a bit.  Usually when I dribble that little bit out of the pot it lands on my bare foot..... guess that must be the redneck way of snapping me out of my morning daze. :D  Heck, I am just getting over a chain reaction of this causing a whole cup of coffee being spilled on my right foot. About 1/3 of the top of my foot had a blister on it.  I told the wife that the coffee pot is on its last chance.... next time it's getting evicted and it ain't gonna be pretty.  :D   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ohsoloco

Quote from: D Hagens on March 23, 2010, 11:11:44 PM
Hmmmmmm........never thought about lifting the lid, will get the wife to try that in the morning.......if I can get her up before noon! zzzz_smiley smiley_whip

Yeah, I usually get my own coffee too  :D  I don't know why popping the lid makes a difference (looks like there's plenty of clearance for the coffee), but it works.  Pouring over the sink seems to help as well...if I don't it usually spills  :-\

D Hagens

Quote from: Coon on March 24, 2010, 01:26:02 AM
:D   Just go and get yourself a big funnel.   :D

I know with some of the coffee pots it just don't matter what you do you will spill or dribble a bit.  Usually when I dribble that little bit out of the pot it lands on my bare foot..... guess that must be the redneck way of snapping me out of my morning daze. :D  Heck, I am just getting over a chain reaction of this causing a whole cup of coffee being spilled on my right foot. About 1/3 of the top of my foot had a blister on it.  I told the wife that the coffee pot is on its last chance.... next time it's getting evicted and it ain't gonna be pretty.  :D   

I'm thinking about taking some of that foam they put in the fuel tanks of airplanes and stuffing that in the pot. See if that stops the coffee from spilling all over the place. air_plane
That or buy Darla a better mop and not worry about the mess on the floor every morning. smiley_thumbsup

Chuck White

Lift the lid and you'll have less spill.
When the lid is not lifted, the coffee will contact the lid and spread, then drizzle.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

The old fashioned percolaters, which is what I use on the rare occasions that I drink coffee, don't have this problem.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I use a stainless steel pot used on electric stove or wood burning stove. Can't fill too full with water or it will perk out around the lid, also if too much coffee grinds are added. Have to keep the holes well cleaned so the water will percolate down through the lid to the coffee chamber. I don't like those plastic perks at all. Not even a hot cup can come from them and never had one that worked right. Besides drinking from heated water in a plastic housing turns me off. You might pour it from glass, but it was heated inside plastic.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

No plastic for me. Good old stainless. Although the one I have is electric, I actually prefer the stove top like you mentioned.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Aside from one of those fancy french coffee presses  I think the old fashioned percolater makes the best cup of coffee. MAy not be fast but well worth the wait IMO.
MAkes the place smell good plus the sound it makes reminds me of the old Chock full of nuts commercials.

We had one here in the office but the girls were too impatiant so I took it home.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Coon

Ya our pot got evicted this morning because the wife got mad when she had a whole pile of grounds in her cup..... she said " Go get a new coffee maker, this one sucks. I thought you were going to evict it the next time it f***** up.  You're giving it too many chances."   :D  I don't think she's too happy with me now either......  I went out to the camper and got out the old percolator and I been avoiding going downtown because that means I have to spend more money.  ;)  I like my old percolator just fine but she don't.   ;)   Guess I'll have to go get one later.... I don't want to be in the dog house that I ain't got.   :D 

Raider Bill

My second ex wife was from P.R. They boiled the grounds in a sauce pan then somewhat strained it through a sock looking thing that always seemed to have small holes in it allowing grounds to get through. Back in sauce pan adding milk and sugar to a boil. Actually it wasn't bad I just grew my mustasche longer and used it as the stainer. smiley_big_grin3

Think of the old cowboys. They would boil hand ground beans on the campfire. Not sure if they strained it but doubt they would. Have to ask a old guy.............

Hey Dang.............??? :D

SwampDonkey

Never strained. All we done was take an old coffee can, make two holes in the upper lip of the can, opposite one another and tied snare wire in them holes. Either hold over flame by a stick on that wire or over the coleman and served by holding the wire and a glove on the bottom. The grounds just either went to the bottom or never pored over the lip of the can with the brew. Done it thousands of times on fishing trips with grandpa. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Well in my coffee drinking err guzzling duties tells me you are not getting your mouth all way around the lip of the pot :D  ::)  But if ya get it too hot ya can spill a little bit out the sides when tipping the pot up lol

But yes, my sister has one of those expensive MR. Coffee makers and that dang thing will flood the counter top when brewing and runs all over with every pour.

We have 2 of the Maxwell House coffee makers that they gave away when you saved up enough can points.   (I have 2 of them as well as 2 of the storage carafe things with the pump on it.)  Both are great for free Shop I worked in went through 4 or 5 cans of beans a week so I saved them up...
I also have several OLDER MR. Coffee pots which also drip if you dont lift the lid with the thumb like most everyone mentioned.

Stupid COLD I have is kept me from drinking only one cup a day then on to tea for better on my sore thought with LOTS of HONEY...

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Funny guy. For that, a potful in the lap. When you gonna cook up and serve that possum? Must be ripe by now. :D

inghamb87

@SwampDonkey, those old stainless steel ones are the best. Honestly, they may be old but they are a charm when it comes to making coffee goes (maybe not convenience wise but definitely taste wise). I am going to run to the garage and see I have one. I admit the automatic coffee maker has taken place in the kitchen but it's retiring today and the good ol' coffee maker is taking it's place :)

SwampDonkey

To me it's like cooking a dinner. If it's quick it's usually not much good as far as taste and same nutrition wise and usually not very healthy.  ;D :D Isn't any harder to wash a coffee pot then a stew pot. ;)

Mm, I had a mighty fine stewed pork roast tonight.  My, my, my. :)

Onthesauk

I thought it was just me.  We've had all these fancy pots, clocks, timers, brew strength, ect.  But they all have dribble pots.  Worst is when you pour the cold water in but often times a problem with the first cup of hot coffee.  The old lament, "If thy can put a man on the moon why can't they.................."
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

D Hagens

K I just made a pot of coffee, lifted the lid, poured it and it spilled all over the counter again. >:( Thinking that the guys that design coffee pots do this to drive us nuts! ::)
Off to the cabin in the afternoon, we have a real metal pot there and I'm going to see how that works. smiley_roller
If all else fails I'm going to use a tin can and an old sock for a filter and make my coffee that way! 8)

SwampDonkey

Here I am enjoying my morning coffee and your talking about using old socks to filter your coffee grinds. Desperation I suppose. :D

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2010, 06:10:46 AM
Here I am enjoying my morning coffee and your talking about using old socks to filter your coffee grinds. Desperation I suppose. :D

Hope your coffee is better then mine, I think Darla read my comment and used a sock for mine! :D

SwampDonkey

Yup was, now I'm making a second pot for lunch. ;D

Coon

D Hagens, I hope that sock wasn't too rotten for ya.  ;)  The way my coffee tastes right now I don't  know if my wife even used any coffee grounds.... almost tastes like she just boiled the socks and poured that into my cup.   :-X  We have ran out of  Folgers again it's back to the old no name brand that so I have been told.   >:(   the after taste I get in my mouth from this garbage coffee is as if I had just kissed the north end of a southbound mule...  :D  Time to stock up on decent coffee I guess.  :D 

D Hagens

Quote from: Coon on March 25, 2010, 11:36:17 AM
D Hagens, I hope that sock wasn't too rotten for ya.  ;)  The way my coffee tastes right now I don't  know if my wife even used any coffee grounds.... almost tastes like she just boiled the socks and poured that into my cup.   :-X  We have ran out of  Folgers again it's back to the old no name brand that so I have been told.   >:(   the after taste I get in my mouth from this garbage coffee is as if I had just kissed the north end of a southbound mule...  :D  Time to stock up on decent coffee I guess.  :D 

You know I sometimes wonder if our wives do this purposely when their mad at us about things. Like if you think about it when things are great and wonderful the coffee always tastes great. :)
You're driving down the road, reach for your travel mug and you think "man I have the best wife in the world" :)
Then on those days where you know you did something wrong you need a knife to get the coffee out of the cup! :o
We're leaving for the island in a bit and I tell ya the coffee this morning makes me want to stay home! Guess I'm in her good books for a change! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

I'm really surprised that no one is using a "French Press".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2010, 02:15:15 PM

I do sometimes on the weekends if I have a real good bean to start with.

Coon

D Hagens,   I know what ya mean.  ;)  ;)  I like my coffee drinkable not chewable.  

Have any of you people here tried the  Kicking Horse Coffee's?  It's Canadian Certified Organic.  I like a good stiff cup of  Grizzly Claw every now and again.  ;)   Check out their site.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com

Coon.

D Hagens

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2010, 02:15:15 PM

I think we need a pic of one of these! I think French press and my mind wanders....... :o :D

Coon

I usually use a press for the kicking horse.   Will find the camera and take a pic.

D Hagens

Quote from: Coon on March 25, 2010, 02:32:59 PM
D Hagens,   I know what ya mean.  ;)  ;)  I like my coffee drinkable not chewable.  

Have any of you people here tried the  Kicking Horse Coffee's?  It's Canadian Certified Organic.  I like a good stiff cup of  Grizzly Claw every now and again.  ;)   Check out their site.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com

Coon.

Never heard of them, checked the link and there's one just down the street     

Save On Foods - Langley - Walnut Grove
8840 - 210 St
Langley, BC. V1M 2Y2   CA
Telephone: 604-882-8449

and it's on our way to the cabin if my truck ever gets out of the shop!!!! ::)

Coon

The Grizzly Claw will getcha if you're not prepared.

Here's a pic of the coffee bag....  You'll need a grinder for the beans  ;)

Tom

I wouldn't have spent the money on the one I have, but my wife did, and I've really enjoyed it.   It's a Krup duotherm and makes 16 cups of coffee.  I usually over-fill it and get 10 cups each.  When I was sawing I would make two pots at one time, fill a two quart Stanley Stainless Thermos and still have a mug full to drink in the truck.  The thing is approaching 20 years old and still making good coffee.   I run a pot full of vinegar through it about once a year, but not much else.  It makes four to six pots of coffee a day, and has since it was new.

I read about the health of coffee one time, and though I haven't the knowledge to prove these comments, I can repeat them.

The study was started to determine the most safe way of making coffee and it was noticed that Americans suffered fewer esophageal infections than Europeans.

The consensus was that:

Drip coffee produces fewer carcinogens.  Though the reasons couldn't be found, it was thought that it was because of the paper filter.  Bleached paper filters stopped more carcinogens than unbleached.

Percolated coffee was loaded with carcinogens, as was boiled coffee.

Coffee from a coffee press was one of the most loaded and fell in line with those that are steamed.

Now, I know I haven't told you anything to hang your hat on, and don't understand it myself, but it is an interesting subject to investigate, what with the amounts of coffee most of us drink.

SwampDonkey

I'll be well preserved.  8) 8)

Magicman

Most French Presses are like Coon's.  You heat the water and then pour it into the press.  For the camper, I have an all stainless press.  With it, you heat the water, add coffee, let it steep, and then slowly press the plunger down.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Tom, wasn't that the study on increased Cholesterol levels from consuming unfiltered coffee and making comparisons with bleached filter paper and other preparations?

Then other studies suggest no increases in heart disease and reduced risk of cancers, Parkinson, Alzheimer's, Dementia, Diabetes type 2, liver disease and gout. Also antioxidant benefits, cortizone and adrenalin production (that's why the bushwhackers are so keen in the morning at 6:00 am, all tanked up :D :D ) All those studies are based on levels of consumption. Too much and it contributes negatively and low amounts doesn't do much good either. ;D

Coon

Magic, that press looks pretty sweet.  Does the handle fold down on that one?  I recall seeing ones that did for use around campfires and wood stoves. Would love to find one for camping...

Mooseherder

We replaced a leaky Mr. Coffee carafe with a Hamilton Beach Maker just a couple weeks ago.
It's working good so far but I've had to adapt somewhat.  It's like driving a car with the steering wheel on da wrong side of the cabin.
We had suffered with the Coffee spillage for years if you didn't hold your mouth just right every time you went in for a pour.  We even replaced a broken pot one time that probably cost as much as a new maker.  DanG it, if the whole thing needed to be replaced we replaced it with another leaky Mr Coffee for the last 25 years. ::)  Must of gone through 3-4 of them.  We have one at the camp we brought there just as an excuse to try a new one at the house.  It is the worst one ever as far as leaks go.   I'll be using it this summer. :D  I think Mr. Coffee musta brain washed me back in my impressionable years cause I was loyal to the leaking carafe for way too long. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Coon on March 25, 2010, 06:51:00 PM
Does the handle fold down on that one? 

Yes, it is a press designed for camping.  You squeeze the handle together at the bottom and it drops down into the bottom holes.  This keeps the lid locked down for pouring and travel.

It's sorta pricey.  $37.95 + $6.20 shipping.

http://www.survivalequipment.net/coffee.html

P.A. RESHARP

Lifting the lid, fixed it for me

Coon

Thanks Magic.... you da man.  ;)  Gonna have to get me one of them for the summer season.  Somehow I don't think I am gonna be around the house much this summer and I always need my good ol' cup 'o' mud in the mornin' to kick me in the butt and send me on my way. 

Coon.

Mooseherder

Quote from: P.A. RESHARP on March 25, 2010, 07:59:04 PM
Lifting the lid, fixed it for me

Don't forget to put da lid back down when you're finished. :D

rbhunter

If I remember correctly there was a member on here who grew coffee that was really good. Does anyone remember who it was and if they still sell it? My son is interested and has a finer taste for coffee than I do.

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Thank You Sponsors!