iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

larch or hemlock for log cabin

Started by danwhitejr, March 23, 2010, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwhitejr

Hi, I was thinking about using larch or hemlock for a log cabin, would there be any negitives to using either of these ? Also has anyone tried routing 2 slots to accept 7/16 osb for splines with foam in between then screwed down ?

shinnlinger

I personally like hemlock as it is cheap, strong and looks and weathers good.  The reason it is cheap though is that it probably will  check and it WILL give you splinters, and you will want to work it up GREEN.

I have never worked with Larch or built a log home, but I understand larch is rot resistant. so don't see why that would be a bad choice if you can get it in the size and quantity you need.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

RSteiner

Over 20 years ago just up the road from me two young men (brothers) built a small log cabin using hemlock logs which they peeled the bark off of.  They used a mud/clay mixture to act as chinking to fill in the gaps.  The logs are still in very good shape after all these years. 

Randy
Randy

danwhitejr

Thanks for the input, I will be sawing the logs with a tapered front and squared on 3 sides like clapboard siding, and boxed heart.

ohsoloco

The larch I've worked with likes to gum up sawmill blades, and all of the hand tools (as well as your hands) will get lots of sap on them.  I often find pockets of sap inside the logs that just oozes out.  However, it does smell nice, and is pretty rot resistant.  I built a timber frame grape arbor and used some for the foundation of my smoke house.

NWwoodsman

Personal I would never build anything with hemlock that was going to be exposed to the weather. Maybe it's just the the rainforest, but out here hemlock rots quick. On the other hand some of the nicest log cabins I've seen in Montana (some over 100 years old) are made of Larch (Tamrack). Sap or pitch equal rot resistance, I've cut lots with little problems other than some splitting in thin boards. But that was all fire kill which is even better because it crystalize the sap. All that being said, seeing that you live in NY I wouldn't think Larch grows there?? I've had the same idea on the slot with a filler added for sealing, never done it, but I think the idea is sound and would create a good seal. I was thinking a 2x4 instead of osb sheet. I was going to cut my slot with my Mobil D sawmill though.
Just my thoughts, Jason

Thank You Sponsors!