iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Smell of Spring and Summer

Started by Gary_C, March 21, 2010, 02:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Every season has certain smells that remind me of the time. For me, winter has the smell of wood smoke and the smell of fresh cut wood.

But my hands down favorite is the smell of spring. The smell of the fresh air just after a spring thunderstorm and my favorite, the smell of fresh cut hay. I don't think there is a sweeter smell than on a warm and still spring evening where there is some fresh cut hay.

Winter is over and I'm ready for spring, how about you? Ummmm, I can already smell that fresh cut hay.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

fishpharmer

I do love the smell of fresh cut hay.  Spring is my favorite for that is when most warmwater fish spawn.  Some even go through the summer.  Although, maybe not pleasant to many, fish spawning smells truly distinctive. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Apple blossoms and fresh cut y birch stumps on a pre-commercial thinning project.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

You guys get hay in the spring in Mn? We don't cut hay until the middle of July or early August... Which is Summer here ;D

Norm

Just a few snow drifts left and some ice on the pond but last week we hit the 60° mark a couple of days. One thing that a heavy snow cover is good for is keeping the alfalfa fields in good shape. I keep a wide buffer strip of it next to the house and the pond. In a little more than a couple of months we'll be baling again and it is one of my favorite smells of spring.

LeeB

You wouldn't know it's spring here right now. The snow flakes coming down are big around as strawberries.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

Spring and summer smells.  We don't get too many distinctive fresh smells like that here in Florida.  There are were the orange blossoms before the groves were turned into housing developments, or not maintained or replaced after the big freeze.

One of my favorite smells, and one that is abhorred by visitors to this fine state, is the smell of shallow, saltwater estuaries.  They are the ones that pretty much drain flat and flood on each tide.  There are  fields of oysters, clams, mud full of living organisms and decaying vegetation that fills the air with a very distinctive ocean odor.  This same smell occurs in the late summer and fall when the sargasso weed breaks loose and covers the beaches.  Tourists hold their noses and run for the hill, but I like it.  It means that the surf, inlets and channels are full of fish and the table will be laden with delicious sea-fare.

There is another smell that I love, and we don't have it.  I smelled it in North Carolina, as a child.  The air would be cool and we would be walking a mountain path to the spring to get some butter. There was a freshness and a dankness that had the smell of life.  It was especially noticeable as you bent over the spring to fill the gourd with a drink of that clear cold water.

SwampDonkey

In your last paragraph Tom, we get that smell here in summer mornings and evenings when walking down by streams. It's also much cooler in those stream valleys that are very noticeable in hot muggy days of summer. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

That special smell in the summer air just at dusk. I don't know how to describe it other than it it is like the trees and plants are breathing out a sigh of relief that the heat is finally backing down a notch.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

From my youth, the smell of good earth and seed in the spring.  Still get it, if in nothing else when filling the bird feeder and working the yard.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JohnG28

We sure get that great spring smell here, the air get fresh, and you can smell the warmth in the air.  Also love getting into our summer camp for the first time, its been in our family 47 years, and theres that same smell every year.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

isawlogs

THe barnyard thawing out has a very distinctive smell that only comes around in spring .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

The smells really gets released when running a brush saw through all them different stems of wood. ;D  :D

Marcel, be sure to leave the boots out in the shed. Thank you.  :D

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: isawlogs on April 09, 2010, 07:44:35 PM

THe barnyard thawing out has a very distinctive smell that only comes around in spring .  ;D

Very distinctive. Spent the last couple evenings cleaning the barn with the bobcat and boy does that smell stick with you... :D

Ironwood

Olfactory (sic) joy is something that frequently overlooked. I can remember certain significant things by smell, arriving in Hawaii as a young recruit, warm mountain breeze in the evening full of the odor of flowers. Spring is also a favorite. Fresh molasses in feed reminds me of the milk house I used to work in as a teen, and fresh hay,... well that reminds me of sneezing non stop in the hay mow, AND lots of sweat. And oh yes, I love the smell of gun powder. And of course many of the young ladies had,......well you know perfume or personal chemistry :D ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Raider Bill

Orange and Grapefruit blossoms in my back yard right now. The wind brings the smell throughout the house.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!