iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Waiting on the LT28...

Started by wannasaw, March 17, 2010, 08:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannasaw

Seems like there are a few of us waiting to take delivery or have newly taken delivery of the LT28. Personaly, I think I have discoversd a new disease called "saywers anxiety". I've got 90 questions and 0 answers. We should take delivery late apr. I was wondering if the good folks on the forum could help some of us newbies fill our time or prepare while we wait. Is it to early to harvest trees for sawing. What should we have on our shopping list besides cant hooks and metal detectors. What are common mistakes to avoid???
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Magicman

Read, study, and understand the saw manuals.  Go through the adjustments in your head.  Review the service intervals.  After you start sawing, you may not remember everything that you read.....but you will remember that you read it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gator gar

The search button at the top of the page can be your friend too. Type in a key word and hang on. I'm sure what you ask about, has already been asked somewhere in the past on this forum. Just set aside plenty of time to dig through it all.

Tom

The best thing you could do while waiting for your mill is read about trees in your area, lumber used by farmers and cabinet makers and be prepared to be able to make it.

Hanging around someone else's mill would be worth its wait in gold, even if it weren't a mill like yours.  A circle mill still has to break down a log and there are similarities even though they do it differently.   

You will need a cant hook, gloves, boots.  It would be nice to have safety glasses, hats and hearing protection.  But, most of that stuff is available within a week of ordering.

The really fun thing is talking about milling.  You can do that right here and the time will pass before you realize it.  :)

One thing that all of us found was, "What am I going to do with all of this lumber I cut today?"

Think about where you are going to stack the lumber, store your stickers, get rid of your slabs, etc.  You might want to build a shed.  Maybe that will be one of your first projects.

Ivey

What I did was READ here on the Forestry Forum every day! I still do...
I got my sawing edumacation right here... :P
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

wannasaw

We like the forum fine and the folks, wish we were better at getting pics on. I got one on of my old smoker but the others in that folder won't load??? We have some land in 2 places here but not sure if we should cut some or see what comes through customers
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

WDH

Wannasaw,

Where are you in Georgia?

Order up some anchorseal for end coating logs.  That is something that is easy to forget to do given the excitement of sawing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

What I have done was to start at the last page and move towards the most current page in Sawmills and Milling section.

This one just seems to be the one where a lot of people have questions and/or suggestions!

After you get through the Sawmills and Milling section, go to another section and do the same thing.

Like MM said, you might not remember what a particular post said, but you'll remember that you have read it.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wannasaw

We are 25 mi west of the coast, Brunswick. Should be on the profile map. ( I fish hard and often). WDH I was last in Perry picking up My 17' marshhawk at the sportscenter. Been awhile. Anchorseal? is that the concrete product or a wood product or the same for either. WM rep. said he would try to send the manual when printed. I guess they change rapidly with the saws. I'm reading backwards from what? 300x...Hey, I'll do it you can bet. Want to thank everyone

wannasaw

Just got off the phone with Arch at WM, said my manuals were on the way at leat by early next week. Good CS WM!

windy hill farm

Hey Wannasaw WM said they will send your manuals for the LT28 you ordered, just wondering since I ordered on 2/27/2010 and havent received anything yet. congrads on the new mill looking forward to picking mine up sometime in April. Kevin
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

sdunston

It sure looks like WM is doing a good job promoting the LT28, I know alll who jumped on the sale will not be sorry. I have had my LT28 sence sept, I know the feeling of waiting for the mill to show up. My advice is enjoy this rest period you are gonna need it :D :D. Those of you who know how to saw I would be looking for a market to sell wood or a place to go and saw. Those who have never cut on a mill before be prepared for something that gets in your blood as soon as the first dust flies, Its a great feeling to take a log and made a "good" board and it still don't feel bad when ya cut a bad board you can always use the fire wood 8)
Have fun and always think SAFE :P
Good luck
   Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Quote from: sdunston on March 18, 2010, 07:08:07 PM
Its a great feeling to take a log and made a "good" board and it still don't feel bad when ya cut a bad board you can always use the fire wood 8)

I pulled onto the lumber broker's lot one day last week.  There was a guy ahead of me with a bundle of oak on a Dodge ton truck.  We visited.  He asked what kind of mill we had.  I told him a Wood-Mizer LT40 Super.  He felt a board and said it looked like it did a good job.  I replied we've been sawing for some time and we work at it.  I said, beside, doctors bury their mistakes, veterinarians eat their mistakes and guys that run sawmills burn their mistakes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Wallys World

I know the "waiting" feeling. It's a great mill, I already see a difference in the log handling compared to the LT15 that I have. I am not sorry that we took the plunge and went to the LT28.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

WDH

Quote from: wannasaw on March 18, 2010, 12:42:46 PM
Anchorseal? is that the concrete product or a wood product or the same for either.

Anchorseal is a water based wax emulsion that is specially formulated to end coat logs to prevent checking from rapid drying.  It is manufactured by UC Coatings.   If you google anchorseal and UC Coatings, you will find their website where you can order some.  It works great.  Designed for use in kilns too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wannasaw

Hey Windy congrats to you also. About the manuals, I asked them if it wasn't too much trouble could I pleeeeaasee...I guess it seemed like a reasonable request. Thanks for all the advice everyone

Chris Burchfield

You think the "waiting" is tough, wait till the night before you go to pick up the mill.  It's like a kid the night before Christmas.  Don't count on a good night's sleep.   :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

timberjackrob

did you get the log deck package? if u did go buy a 12 volt winch to replace the manual winch. i bought my lt28 in july the winch was the first thing i bought.i got from the northern catalog for 80 bucks it was rated for 2000lbs.it is a whole lot quicker and awhole lot easier.i made a pigtail with a plug from the battery,when i need to turn the log isimply plug it in to the winch remote cord and push a button.     
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

fishpharmer

tjrob, welcome to Forestry Forum.  Great to have you here  8) 8)
I like your idea about the electric winch for the deck package on the lt28.  Just consider many of the the smaller 12V winches use plastic gears that can fail at any moment under heavy loads (ask how I know).  It wouldn't stop me from using one, just keep it in mind when loading and positioning heavy logs.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jdtuttle

Wannasaw, you're goimng to have to change your handle after you get the LT28. :) Maybe "Havetasaw", or "Willsaw" or "Readytosaw" ;D
Congrats & good luck,
jim
Have a great day

Magicman

Welcome tjrob to The Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

Windy......email me your name, address etc and I'll get them to send your manuals to you.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

timberjackrob

so far the elec winch has worked well.ibought the cheap one because i didnt know how well it would work. when it fails ill probably replace it with a warn winch   they seem to be top of the line. i load my logs with a tractor and then back away from the mill about 3 feet and put the heavy slabs on the forks sure is a whole lot easier than packing them out of the way.happy logging and milling.thanks for the welcomes glad i found this site.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!