iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prince Edward Island-best way to get there

Started by DonT, March 15, 2010, 10:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Well the family has informed me that I am driving them and our camper toPrince Edward Island this summer.We are looking at going down through Quebec and stopping in Quebec to whale watch and then on to PEI.I would like to come back through Maine To Ontario,can anybody suggest a route from St. Johns through Maine,Vermont ,NY and back to Ontario?The travel help would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks DonT

SwampDonkey

Where you going to whale watch in Quebec, the Gaspe? There is Whale watching in New Brunswick as well on the Bay of Fundy. If you come down from Riviere de Loupe you'll follow the 185, I think that starts out now as the 85 (4-lane) and comes down to Edmundston, New Brunswick where it becomes Route 2. Now if you want to see mostly woods with the rare small glimpse of the Saint John River and the rare chance to see farming country than you can continue of the 4-lane clear to the Confederation Bridge across the drink. ;)

If you want to get a view of the river you can exit near Nackawick and follow 103 along the river shore, it's the old Trans Canada highway. This will take you into Fredericton and you can get back on the 4-lane. Not much for farmland down below Woodstock, just little patches. In PEI your going to see mostly farms as to the landscape. You can cross over to Sydney, Nova Scotia by the Caribou Ferry. But, I think the Yarmouth Ferry into Maine has been canceled. There may be an alternate crossing , not sure. So you can come back up into New Brunswick and travel east to Saint John and follow the Fundy highway (Route 1) over toward Saint Stephen and see St Andrews on the way, there is a Oceanography centre there in St Andrews for visitors. St Andrews is down on the peninsula on route 127. You can cross into Calais Maine from St Stephen across the St Croix River. The river is the international boundary with the States.

Get a recent highway map as the New Brunswick 4-lane highway (route 2) was completed in 2007.

The New Brunswick online Atlas is 12 years old but the GIS maps and aerial photos are current.

http://www.snb.ca/gdam-igec/e/2900e_1.asp
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

If you are going though NYS if you come though albany take rt. 20 west. Much nicer road than the Thruway. Takes a little more time.

Stonebroke

Tom

Does that route west and North take you through Michigan at the time of the Pigroast, DonT?  DonT miss it. :D

DonT

Thanks for the info guys.Was looking at staying around rivierre de loup the first night,it is about a 14hr drive door to door so that kind of breaks it up.Do I have to take the confederation bridge or can i take a ferry from New Brunswick to PEI.The trailer is 29ft long and bridges scare the wife a little.We took the bridge across to Ogdensburgh NY yesterday and she had her eyes closed the whole time.Tom not far enough west for a pig roast stop,but hopefully someday.

SwampDonkey

Prepare the wife, because that's the only way across from New Brunswick. Tell'r that little NY bridge ain't nothing. ;) There is a toll to get back to New Brunswick. I don't think you can see over the side. Tell'r if it's windy, they won't let ya cross. :D ;)  Tell'r the icebergs from the Straight might bump the bridge a little, won't feel it as long as your rolling along. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DonT

Well who designs a bridge you can not see over the sides?Thats half the fun of bridges.Although thinking about it probably better to keep her happy,makes my life a whole lot more fun. ;D

SwampDonkey

DonT

Thanks swampdoney that is an interesting link.Looking forward to it already.Anything you suggest doing in PEI that is not on the normal tourist itinerary?

SwampDonkey

Potato fields.  ;D But you'll drive through a whole lot of them in New Brunswick before you get there. Only thing the 4-lane is blasted into the bowls of the earth so in areas you might actually see something your looking at rock face.  Whoever designed that road sure wanted you to bi-pass New Brunswick as fast as you could. No rest areas or nothing. :D

DonT

No rest stops? Are you trying to tell me there are no Tim Hortons along the way.i am not sure i can make it with out my routine timmys stops.

SwampDonkey

Oh, well there are some Timmy's and small towns along the way. But there are some long stretches. And fencing to keep the moose in. :D

Stephen Alford

Hey Don,  there is a ferry from Pictou NS to Wood Islands PEI  if you need an option. If I can be any help drop me a pm or I am in the book. Have you tried that little google man  on maps yet.  The bridge is a great , when your crossing look back midway. Define " normal"  ;D

logon

DonT

After looking at the pics of the bridge I think my wife will be alright.Our bridges are alot steeper and they are not paved the are a steel mesh so you  get added noise.Always looking to do something a little differant,like fishing or just things that are as not tourist oriented.The windmill electricity farms kind of interest me,anything you suggest?   thanks donT

Stephen Alford

Hey Don, just some random thoughts. Driving here in the summer can be a little spooky. Top end here is 90 klicks and most drive 80 so ya can have a gander at what everybody is up to. Mix that with drivers "from away" used to 4 laners top end 120 add a couple of farm tractors  the odd bovine and lots of bikes it can get a bit dicy.   Pine Hills trailer park is half way between  Charlottetown and Brackley beach. ten minutes either way. You should plan on reservations if the weather is good its busy. August is the best beach month ,jelly fish gone and black flies and mosquitoes fading. Dinner theater is great good food and amazing talent. Sat am farmers market charlottetown. Sun pm flea market north river. Tractor dealerships anytime. Couple of wine vinyards, General store Murry River.  There is everything from horse hauls to tractor pulls depending when you come.  Roadside lobster ran about 6.50 /lb last year , fresh muscles cooked in wine , garlic and celery a must with something cold. Sticky date pudding and a cold bud on the deck at dalvey followed by a late night stroll on the beach.  For some reason  hunger has set in. Got to go !!!  ;D  Have a great holiday.

logon

DonT

mmmmmmmmmmmm mussels.I thought it was only NewFoundlanders that called people"from away". I live in a small village on the Rideau waterway(unesco world heritage site) you can buy 502 varieties of scented candles but you can not buy a nail.Therefore tourist type driving I am used to(hey lets walk out in front of the guy towing the chipper he will stop)I was going to ask about campsites,so thanks for the Pine hill info.May have to stay away from the tractor dealerships,my wife might not like me ditching the camper for a float and new tractor.Anne of green gables seems to be high on the girls list.Anything food related is always popular with me,add chainsaws and trees and you really get my attention.Thanks again for the info i really appreciate it.  DonT

SwampDonkey

Hopewell Cape, southern NB:

Val Comeau Beach Provincial Park, northeastern NB:

DonT

Nice pics.may have to change the travel itinerary a little bit.I have never been East of Quebec city so the whole trip will be an eye opener.To be honest i thought it was a longer drive,i used to moose hunt in northern Ontario and it was an 18 hour drive.google says PEI is only 15.For me to leave home and drive west it would take me 24 hours straight driving to get to the Ontario/manitoba border.

SwampDonkey

From where I am, I can get to Ottawa by supper time if I leave at 7:00 am. ;D You can also get to Chicoutimi-Saguaney, north of Quebec city in 8 hours from here. I've drove from the Su to Winnipeg in 13 hours, twice in spring weather, meaning snow and ice mixed. Three days to cross Ontario for sure. It's a huge province, as you well know. ;)

DonT

We usually drove 15 hours to go moose hunting,no stops other than for fuel and Timmys.The soo is about a 10-12 hour drive from here depending on weather.actually headed to ottawa now to look at a couple of trees for removals.anything over a certain dbh is considered a "distinctive tree" and requires an arborist report and city staff visit before a removal permit will be issued.yep it is a pain.hopefully things have not gone that far down your way.

SwampDonkey

No, we keep the riff raff out. As I say, the 4-lane won't let you see anything. And the high voltage fences keep you out and the moose in. :D :D

Stephen Alford

Hey Don , thinking of your family today and wanted to pass along a couple of pics for your daughters.  The first is the beach in the land of Ann, the second is the church in the town of Avonlea built with the book in mind. The third is of the home where the author lived and the last was taken near the homestead.  :)

logon

dhutch

Don,
My family enjoyed a trip up thru New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, & PEI back in 2006, pulling our 14' popup up from Virginia.  We drove up to Cheticamp in Cape Breton NS, parked the trailer at the National Park campground there (very nice), and spent the afternoon driving the Cabot trail.  Drove back to Picteau & took the ferry over to PEI.  We stayed at several of the provincial parks on PEI.  Favorites were Cedar Dunes (West side of PEI) and Cabot Beach (near the Anne of Green Gables touristy stuff).  We also enjoyed a side trip up to the NW corner of PEI to see the wind turbines.  We enjoyed hiking a few miles on the Confederation trail (biking/hiking path).  If you bring bikes with you, you could make better mileage than we did.  My teenage boys weren't keen on spending time at the AGG tourist attractions (and I was happy to oblige, given the high cost.)  We had a much better time collecting monster quahogs in the shallow waters of Cabot Beach and having a feast!  (Although I did learn the hard way that "purging" clams is a necessary step to avoid gritty soup...)  Also enjoyed a visit to the Gouda Cheese Lady's farm in Winsloe North.

David
David

SwampDonkey

Coming down the new 4-lane in NB from Edmundston toward Fredericton you will see a wind farm off to the west. This will be in the Florenceville-Bristol area. That farm is on Mars Hill in Maine. Everyone seems to have a fascination with them and take a few pictures. It's just 3 miles away from here. I've seen them as far as Ayres Lake overlook, 40 miles away.

DonT, I assume things changed direction since your plans back then with your daughter being sick. I hope you folks make the trip as you planned some day.

DonT

Yes things got a little side tracked.Sarah was real upset that "she ruined" our trip.We explained to her PEI had been there for a lot of years and would still be there this summer.So will start planning next summers trip after christmas.So expect lots of dumd touristy type questions directed your way. ;D After going through Sarahs treatment with her it changes your perspective a little.Things like family time and trips once taken for granted are now given priority.

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!