iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer heads

Started by petefrom bearswamp, March 15, 2010, 06:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there used the Bird Shelix head on their planer?
I have a Bridgewood 20" with their spiral head that sucks.
It will not take a 1/8" cut on two 6" spruce boards.
I have had trouble with this machine from the get go, about 6 years ago.
It was 5 HP single phase to begin with and after calling several times, changing, out the motor for a new 5HP, which didn't help and then returning to York PA for a demo on how it wouldn't cut, upgraded to a 10 HP 3 phase (which cost me $700 for a phase converter ) still wont plane a modest cut in softwoods.
I am at my wits end with this machine.
Please help.
Thanks
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Handy Andy

I have a Byrd shelix on my jointer, it works great.  And also have a Woodmaster 18" with woodmasters helical head, same thing.  It also has a 5 hp motor, and doesn't really like 1/8" cut.  But I can cut a full width board 1/16". No problem.  But when I mess up and go with 1/8", it will kill it.  I'd like to have a planer that will take more of a cut, planing a stack of lumber down to 3/4" just takes too long.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironwood

Pete,

Like I said before I had never heard of this issue. Make me think I LIKE my straight noisy knives. My 24" Powermatic can hog off 3/16" full width not a problem. :P I'll listen and learn (havent drop the BIG change on a Shelix for any machine yet)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

Ours is 26"  with 15hp motor northtech that I switched from straight knives to helix head.  Can run 100,000 feet of cedar through it and barely dull the knives.  Take of 3/16 to 1/4" each pass to hog juck cedar into shavings to regrind for specialized sawdust.  Can run 3  6" boards at a time. at 20 plus linear feet / minute.  Hard to keep up with feeding it at that rate.  I would never ever go back to straight knives.  So much less pull at knots.  Switched over 6 or 7 years ago.
Infeed speed has a lot to do with how well it works too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Larry

I have a planer with the Byrd Shelix.  I think it may cut a little easier than straight knifes but not enough to make a noticeable difference.

If you don't like your machine now, you will like it even less after spending the bucks for a new head.

Do you have an Asian motor?  It's been my experience most won't put out there rated horsepower.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Just had another thought.  Is your phase converter a static or rotary?  Static converters will only let a motor run at 2/3's of there rated horsepower...and some motors just don't like static converters.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

petefrom bearswamp

Hi all,
Been negligent in viewing the form for several days.
Ironwood,
I wish I had kept my 15" Jet straight knife (but god awful noisy especially with my big dust collector running)  for the rough work so I could then finish with the Bridgewood as it makes a very nice surface. Are you coming to Skaneateles this summer?
Larry,
My planer's motor is a 10 HP US made Baldor, the converter is a rotary with a 15 HP Marathon motor, but made in china which surprised me..
Checked the voltage and amperage when I built the converter and all was in spec.
When i hit the lottery I may get the Byrd head.
Thanks to all for the responses.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!