iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made some sawdust today.

Started by fishpharmer, March 15, 2010, 12:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Milled a few SYP logs today.  It sure was fun.  Best of all my wife came out and helped me.  I think she has the sawdust bug too.  There was even talk of hydraulics ;)  These were old logs that needed cutting.  Decided to cut 2" stuff for temporary corral. 

Made some sawdust

Nice stack of 2" by lumber and some small beams.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ronwood

Nice job and some good looking wood. Nice to have your wife out there. Wish mine would come out.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

customdave

Nice boards, make ya nervous havin the boss supervising? Looks like you had fun though, play safe.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

sigidi

Good onya Fishpharmer, great to see someone making some sawdust (I keep reminding myself, soon, very soon..) and even better to have ya good wife out there with ya - mine decided I got too grumpy to be around way back in the early days when I didn't have a clue what I was doin and silly old me was grumpy with everyone around me instead of realising it was a lack of my knowledge which led to my grumpiness:(

Anyway, great stuff ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Meadows Miller

Gday

James you have done a top job there your sawing some nice timber there  keep it up Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) You will learn quick that All logs need sawing Mate  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8) Im in the same boat as Allan though my ex use to help me on the mills but said i was a grumpy barstard to work with sometimes  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Yea Baby.......and that's a nice shot of your mill also.  I love sawing those "bark slipped" logs.  No worry about dirt.  Your  whack-o-lumber looks  :o good..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ErikC

Talk of hydraulics? From Mrs Phishpharmer? You started on some plans the minute you came in, right?...Gotta strike while the irons hot! :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

DanG

Good going Fish! 8) 8)  Looks like you got that thing wheelin' and dealin' now!

OK, you got that hydraulic seed planted, so now you need a big ol' crooked oak log to make it grow. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

petefrom bearswamp

Hey fish
Good for you.
Can't get my wife to help, but she sure cleans the house until it shines so I won't complain.
Hard to believe, but less than a week ago there was 1 1/2 to 2 feet of snow around my mill and in my woods, but is all but gone now.
My mill is calling me.
Hope to make sawdust soon and I can't wait!!
Got lots of Ash and some Norway spruce to reduce to boards and dust.
All logs were cut with lots of snow so are very clean.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

robnrob2

Good fer you Bud, stack-O-lumber looks good,,
Hydrolics is a very worth while investment, belive me I sure do like my improvements,,
But ya need to get that mill off the ground,,

fishpharmer

Thanks, everyone. I know most of you folks don't get real excited about a little stack of lumber like mine.  But that's the most I have cut in one day.

ErikC, I agree, you wouldn't believe how many hydraulic sawmill youtube videos my wife has watched with me in the last few days ;)  I see hydraulics in my future.

Quote from: DanG on March 15, 2010, 12:53:31 PM

OK, you got that hydraulic seed planted, so now you need a big ol' crooked oak log to make it grow. ;)
DanG, good advice, I have found some of those logs.  I just got to drag them to the mill ;)

Thanks to all 8) 8) 8)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gator gar

That is some good looking lumber. I decked some good looking bark slipped logs Sunday along with some good green pine logs too. And you're talking about a wife that has the "bug", mine can spot a log a mile away laying on the ground. Always wanting to salvage it. I guess it all looks great til you start lifting green slabs and heavy green lumber off the mill, then it isn't as attractive as it was at the beginning. Unless of course it is just in your blood.

ErikC

I knew you were on the ball, you know what to do--now keep doin' it :D
8) 8)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

fishpharmer

I moved the lumber today and did a tally. 600+ board feet. 8) 8)  That was done in a little over five hours.  Over 100 bdft per hour.  I suppose the 2x material and beams helped raise that number.  I don't think I am ready for the Sawlex shootout. :D :D

ErikC

Nothing to feel bad about there. 1-200 board feet per hour is a lot more like daily life than a sawmill shootout. Even with a more "professional" mill than yours, that is what a lot of guys cut.
And that's number's real good for an all manual bandmill, think what you could do with hydraulics! ;)

WDH

Fish,

You and DonK are downright inspirational  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Thanks WDH.

It felt more perspirational than inspirational. 8)

Meadows Miller

Quote from: WDH on March 17, 2010, 11:35:18 PM
Fish,

You and DonK are downright inspirational  ;D.
Quote from: fishpharmer on March 17, 2010, 11:44:29 PM
Thanks WDH.

It felt more perspirational than inspirational. 8)

James you have earnd it mate and i reckon there will be plenty of sweet sweat to come Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8) Its a great feeling when you saw timber on a mill you built yourself you cant beat it  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

What Chris said...

You'll love using your own timber, there is just such satisfaction that you can't even imagine... 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Magicman

Plus, when you are learning/sawing on your own logs and mess up.... >:(  it doesn't matter as much as messing up a customer's log..... :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

James P.

Thank You Sponsors!