iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedarman needs to move!

Started by DR_Buck, March 14, 2010, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Just read an interesting article in the new Sawmill & Woodlot magazine about Eastern Red Cedar.  Apparently it's consuming Oklahoma.  :D    I know we have a problem with it here in Va as well.  But I don't think it's anywhere near the 300,000 acres per year like Oklahoma.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR_Buck

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2010, 08:11:47 PM
http://www.cedarusa.com/

He's already there, Been there.  :)

OK then.   I guess he just needs quit fooling around and get busy then.   :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Quote from: DR_Buck on March 14, 2010, 08:18:54 PM
Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2010, 08:11:47 PM
http://www.cedarusa.com/

He's already there, Been there.  :)

OK then.   I guess he just needs quit fooling around and get busy then.   :D :D

That's ok.  Wait until you get MY age!      smiley_old_guy
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

Cedarman's son and Forum member Aaron is there chipping cedar into mulch.  Aaron was at the last Pig Roast.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Aaron a.k.a. Okmulch had been gobbling up cedar out there in Stillwell, OK area for 4 years or more.  I think he takes all the berries and plants them in other fields.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

footer

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 14, 2010, 08:48:56 PM
  I think he takes all the berries and plants them in other fields.

Now thats a good buisiness plan :D

Gary_C

I have heard that west central Minnesota also has a problem with runaway Cedar infestations. I have encountered scattered scrub Cedar trees on some of my last pine jobs and they are almost impossible to handle with a processor head. You can't even get ahold of the DanG things.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Cedarman

I got a call a couple years ago wanting to know if we could come up to Mn and remove about 5000 acres of cedar to get the land back productive.
Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, and some other areas are being overgrown with cedar. A few good biomass plants could take care of a lot of that cedar.
Most of the upland cedar is bushy and not good for logs.  But a lot of thick cedar on decent land grows good logs.
There are county maps showing exactly where the cedar is and how thick it is.  We used the maps to decide where to start.
I love using a shear to cut the cedars and Aaron uses a tree saw to cut the smaller ones. Most areas are 90 to 100 % cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

okmulch

Hey Bibbyman we are located in Stillwater Oklahoma,  Stillwell is close to Arkansas. I get people mixing that up often. As for the seeds of course I had a customized cedar seed spreader installed on my cutting loader. It blends in so the landowners have no clue of what I am doing. :D

We have some new legislation trying to get put through the house that will help businesses and landowners with the cedar problem. It made it out of committee so we will see how far it will go.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

easymoney

maybe if they would plant cudzu on the land that has a problem with cedar that might help get rid of the cedar. ;) ;D

Cedarman

easymoney, dem's fightin' words. :D :D
Quote from: easymoney on March 16, 2010, 10:12:42 AM
maybe if they would plant cudzu on the land that has a problem with cedar that might help get rid of the cedar. ;) ;D

wwsjr

I could harvest some kudzu sprouts and plenty of privet hedge seed if there is a market for it to fight cedar infestations. Then maybe I could grow cedar if I could get rid of both.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

SwampDonkey

Must be pasture land I'm guessing. Something equally as bad or worst on pasture is hawthorn. Cows don't touch it so it has to be cut. If you burn the fields, it grows even better, if you spray it it gets greener. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

Old cotton fields, hay fields, pasture, ranch lands.  No fire equal lots of cedar.  ERC never sprouts.  Burn when 3to 4' tall and shorter makes for good pasture.  Some post oak, elm, honey locust coming in too.  The prairies need fire to remain prairies.

SwampDonkey

If you could plow the land and rotate every 3 or 5 years and would rid the woody plants to. But I suppose some of those ranch lands are pretty huge, so it would have to be planted to some crop in order to justify the plow work. That's if it's cultivatable because some of those lands I suppose have some deep gullies and depressions and wet spots and a little on the rough side.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

SD, remember back inthe 30's when the sky got black with dirt from out west.  Well, it came because they plowed all those lands.  There are some nasty gullies too.    Getting it back to prairie grass,  and livestock is the best use of this land.  Some good level land works for wheat.   There is a sandstone rock that sits a few feet under most of this land.  Water doesn't seep down to well.  The cedars suck most of the water up now so most springs under land with lots of cedar don't flow too well.

Thank You Sponsors!