iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big crack in firebox wall

Started by Chuckolicious, March 14, 2010, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckolicious

Oh boy.  Today went out and discovered a nice big crack on the back wall down by the air holes.  If you are looking into the box, the lower left hole in the back, just above it a crack goes up about 5-6 inches almost to the point where the wall jogs bag.  Wide enough for a butter knife.

thecfarm

Sounds like this thread form a few weeks back,   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42501.0.html
That is too bad.Lean on them guys,it's not your fault.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Chuckolicious-

This is my first year burning with the E2300 and it's been great.  I noticed a vertical seam / crack in the same area you mentioned....left side between the back left air hole and the center duct for the gas ingnition.  It's so straight that I thought that it was an expansion joint, but your post, as well as spacedog's previous posts, make me worry.  It seems to extend from the back wall where the holes are and angles back to the vertical wall of the firebox.  that is, it extends across the "shelf" in the back.  I have emailed spacedog to ask for the pics of his crack (I just reread that last sentence and it doesn't seem right to talk to a stanger like that!).  I'll be telling my dealer about it.  Do you have any pics of your crack? :D :D  Sorry, just making myself laugh a bit. Anyway, I would appreciate any insight you have and any response you may have received from CB.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Shut down my stove yesterday and cleaned it throughout.  Yes, I have a crack as previously described.  My CB dealer came out and looked at it last night while we were out at dinner.  Talked to him this AM and he said that he's concerned because the crack extends right up to the back wall weld.  He's calling CB this morning.

Possible solutions are:
1.  Do nothing.  The furnace was running well all winter.
2.  Have someone weld it.
3.  Have CB replace it. 

Now that the heating season is winding down (forcast for Baltimore is 80 degrees this Friday!) it's a great time for me to shut down and prepare for next winter.  I'll keep you posted on the response from CB.  I know that others besides chuckolicious have reported on the Forum that firebox cracks and water jacket leaks have occurred.  Has anyone had experience with how CB has dealt with this problem?

Spacedog-  thanks for the pics.  My crack seems to extend a little farther than yours. 

Reminder for all you burners......If you purchase your wood, order next winter's wood NOW.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Shagy

I take it you have cracks in the air input of the fire box.These are stress cracks. New stove coming off the line have these put in on sides and rear. They are just a little neater than yours. :D On the rear on each side of the gas gun or where it would be if it has wood ignition. It has 2 stress cracks put in at factory. In each case it will not effect stove in a negative way . I think it helps .
The reaction chamber will also get cracks. It also will not effect performance but don't look pretty. Check with your dealer on that one. Enjoy this spring weather coming
The problem with common scene is that it's not so common...... Mark Twain

Dean186

Quote from: Shagy on March 30, 2010, 09:39:57 AM
The reaction chamber will also get cracks. It also will not effect performance but don't look pretty. Check with your dealer on that one. Enjoy this spring weather coming

Shagy,  Did you mean the fusion chamber?   Dean

muckamuck

I cleaned out and found cracks extending from air holes, mostly center air holes right up and around to the shelf.  My dealer said it was typical experience and to keep running it.  If they ever extend to water jacket he assumes central boiler will take care of it.
Muckamuck

MrMojoinCO

I installed my eclassic last fall and I had a crack in the same place described very shortly after I started useing it.  I'm also finding that the air holes are getting full of creosolt, hence the hole drilling guide I just recieved from CB with the new temp (themostatic) valve.  It really is amazing how many bugs these things have.  Was there any R&D on this thing? 

I live at 10200 and any time my temp hits 183 or higher, my taco pump impeller makes a clicking noise.  It sounds like a cavitation from bubbles or something. Anyone else get this??

Take it easy guys.

Dean186

Quote from: MrMojoinCO on March 31, 2010, 08:53:39 PM
I live at 10200 and any time my temp hits 183 or higher, my taco pump impeller makes a clicking noise.  It sounds like a cavitation from bubbles or something. Anyone else get this??

I have the E-Classic 1400, but since I live at elevation, 7,600 feet and use a Taco pump, I thought I would respond.  I have the high set point set to 193 degrees and low set point set at 180 degrees.  I have never heard any unusual noises coming from the Taco pump.

Dean

richsei

I have the same noise out of my pump also 10,000 feet.

Thank You Sponsors!