iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New junker all terrain forklift for my sawmill, pics

Started by Kelvin, March 13, 2010, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,

Well i've been suffering b/c i've had to drag logs that are 30" and bigger through the mud and can't lift but 8 layers of 8' long hardwood, 48" wide to put into the kiln so it takes all day to make sure they are laid in straight.  I've talked with guys who've been through what i've been through and they finally got a off road forklift to handle the weight.  Now i'll have to get the reefer semi trailer i bought last fall off its axles and move the kiln unit into it so i can make use of the forklift.

As you can see not too pretty, as my funds are always tight, but i did skip on the one near me that was $1200 but needed and engine right away.  Nicer forklift, but i don't have the help to do the work.  This one set me back $2900 beans and i've already picked up and moved some big white oak logs i couldn't have before.  Since i bought my new (really old) LT40 i've been missing the mud saw on my previous LT40.  Now i have to be really careful about dragging in the gravel and mud.  Especially now in the mud season.  Course this is 2wd so i'll probably have to keep it parked till spring has sprung, but its not too bad so far.

Couple questions in case any of you have seen this type of tractor before.  Its a 60's vintage Massey model 205 diesel 3 cyl perkins.  Its got pretty strong blow by, but my mechanic buddy was thinking that b/c forklifts aren't run for very long at a time that maybe the piston rings are gunked up and had me buy a pint of SeaFoam to put in the oil.  I plan on running for awhilie while crossing my fingers.  I've never had any luck with any of these "put in your oil and wait for miracle" products, but the tractor starts right up even when fairly cold out, so it seems to have something going for it.  The blowby is coming out the oil fill cap right in front of the fuel pump as seen in the picture.  Spatters oil, put is designed to be a breather.  Any other thoughts on what i could do to cheaply fix the blowby?  Thicker oil?  What would you run in it anyway?  10w30?  15w40?

The other question i have is about the transmission.  How does this thing work?  Its not hydro, but there is no clutch.  You can change from hi to low and 1st to 2nd without a clutch and forward is just pushing on the right side of the pedal.   Reverse is pushing the left side and you can throttle it up without moving by pressing the middle.  Very odd to me.  I took a picture in case anyone recognizes it. Do i have to worry about clutches wearing out on this thing?  Some sort of shuttle, but i've not seen anything like it.  I've googled info on it, but i didn't find much.  Anyone? 

Here are some pictures.

Dave Shepard

I've seen a lot of adapted tractors made into forklifts by that company, although I don't know the name. They all have the same roof and mast and console. You must have some sort of hydrostatic drive, which is much nicer than the clutch arrangement my friend has on his Case from the same company. It's got four gears and two ranges, all of them way too fast. :D I run 15w40 in all of my diesels. If it goes as high as the Case, you can put lumber anywhere you want, as long as it isn't over about 22' high. ;D I would think that would do fairly well off-road, unless you've got a couple feet of mud. Is there an hour meter on it? Diesels don't like to idle a lot of stop start, they want to work, you may get lucky with the Seafoam, it's worth a try.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kderby

Kelvin,

That is a charmer! 8) 8) 8)

I don't have any answers for you.  I am certain "you done good."  I love my forklift.  I have a set of chains for when the ground gets slick and rough.

Enjoy! ;D

stonebroke

It looks almost like a reversed Massey Ferguson tractor and if it has a perkins that almost seals it. Chains will make a big difference on greasy ground you will not spin so much and dig ruts. Nice forklift for 2900$ It will probably run with the blowby for a long time and the kits to rebuild the perkins are not much money.

Stonebroke

stonebroke

Almost forgot, What is the oil pressure? If you still have decent oil pressure you could just do a in frame overhaul and it would only take a day or two to fix it.

Stonebroke

sgschwend

How about an automatic transmission?  I would just use 15W40 diesel oil from Chevron.

I can see it is build on a tractor frame.

As to blow by:  look for another crankcase vent, I would think there would be one, perhaps it is not functioning.  

As to diesels, normally if they start and don't consume much oil then you have a good motor.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

ladylake

Nice machine, I've got a old W5 Case kinda like that only it has a loader with forks. Mine has 4 speed with some kind of hydraulic shuttle, I'm thinking a torque converter .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Wudman

The Perkins is a good engine.  As long as it does what you need, I'd pour a quart of oil in it when needed and run her.  If you want to overhaul it, it is a fairly inexpensive fix.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Reddog

That trans is the MF Hyd shuttle. It was used in the industrial line, like backhoes and loader tractors. They have a torque converter instead of a clutch.

Mark K

I just finished rebuilding a Massey 35 deluxe with the perkins. Overhaul kit wasn't to expensive. I bought the major kit, sleeves, pistons, valves and bearings. I sent the head out to have the seats ground and done the rest myself. Cost me around $850 dollars for kit and all machine work. You can try running a little heavier oil but I think you will end up tearing it down in the end. If the oil pan can be pulled without to much trouble, I would do an in frame, wouldn't take long. You got a good deal, hard to find an off road forklift for that $ around here.  
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ironwood

Cant have too many forklifts. Look like it is ready for work, and you dont have to worry about scratching the paint.  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logwalker

Good looking fork there allright. I have always wanted one of those. Why don't you have a roof on it yet?   ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Hey Reddog, what is a torque converter and do they have parts that wear?  Is it something like an automatic tranmission then?
I'll have to see about oil pressure, doesn't have a gauge.  So the best oil is something like 15w40? See you all,
KP

Magicman

Your forward/reverse is probably the same or at least very similar to what is in my Oliver backhoe.  Oliver calls it a "Reverse-O-Torc".  It is in front of your transmission and yes, has a torque converter.  The unit should use type "A" ATF.

Note:  Draining and refilling of the "Reverse-O-Torc"  is not recommended.  You may have a two sided dip stick.  One side for when the engine is not running and the other with the engine idleing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Reddog

MF calls their Hyd shuttle trans and Instant reverse transmission.
It uses standard Trans/hyd oil.
Yes it has parts that wear. If it was me I would look for a service manual. It is a little hard to explain how it works.

Captain

Kelvin, that's a real prize.  You're a light duty user, so it should last for a long time to come.

Captain

ladylake

Quote from: Reddog on March 13, 2010, 09:44:04 PM
MF calls their Hyd shuttle trans and Instant reverse transmission.
It uses standard Trans/hyd oil.
Yes it has parts that wear. If it was me I would look for a service manual. It is a little hard to explain how it works.

Any idea how reverse works?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice score Kelvin Ive driven rougher bits of gear over the years   :D :D ;) it looks pretty tidy Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) Check the oil level as if its over full the crankcase preasure will push the oil out the breather mate  ;) If its ittl be the the rings you can put an inframe in it or just run it  ;) the perkins motors  run for along time even when they are well worn  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

with traction a set of wheel weights or water in the tyres works well Ive never goten a reverse control fork bogged in a log yard so you should have no dramas there either mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Reddog

Quote from: ladylake on March 14, 2010, 08:37:31 AM
Any idea how reverse works?    Steve

It has two clutch packs that make forward and reverse.

captain_crunch

My Ford 3000 has had fairlly bad blow by for last 10 years and is still going so unless oil press is in the crapper I would not sweat it too much Also depends on how much you are gonna use it
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

thecfarm

I had a slant 6 that did that when I bought it.Drove it like that for a year,than had it rebuilt.Caused a fire in it before I bought it. Bought it real cheap and had my brother figure out the wiring and I was good to go.I did keep the air cleaner bonnet clean in it.I did not want a repeat fire.If I had a forklift or tractor,I doubt I would fix it.Just keep the bonnet clean out of oil.I suppose it runs fine,correct.The slant 6 did,would never know anything was a matter with it.Had power and run quiet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gator gar

I'm just amazed that you were able to post pictures. I've been logging all day and taking pics and me and my wife can't for the life of us, figure out how to post pics. I guess we will keep trying later. :P

coastlogger

Great find forklift. These things have so many uses its incredible. Imagine having your very own vehicle lift for doing brake jobs etc.The list goes on. Blow by .So what. Itll run till something definite happens THEN youll know what to fix.
clgr
clgr

old joe

Kelvin,
I've got A MASSEY 25. It started to blow oil out the breather.  I addwd a block cleaner to the oil, ran it awhile, drained and refilled and have not had the problem since. it runs a perkins engine.  good luck

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Kelvin

Howdy Joe,
What is a block cleaner?  Sounds curious,
Thanks
kelvin

Thank You Sponsors!