iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finnish Sauna

Started by REGULAR GUY, March 12, 2010, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

Howdy All,
   I guess this question is more directed to ya "Northern Boys". I'm gonna finish where my the contractor left off and put in a "dry" (electric) sauna. What species should I use on the walls and/or benches? I've got Douglas Fir, Ponderosa Pine, Mountain Hemlock and Incense Cedar on my property. Any of those any good , I know the cedar ain't (I think ?!!?), or should I use something else?  Thanks in advance for your input.
Regular Guy

Tom

I would think that the cedar would be a good choice, in that it wouldnt create splinters like other woods.  You would have to make sure that you weren't sitting on any big knots.  They get hot and will burn you.  'Course that would be true of most any wood.

The smell might be invigorating to some, but it would eventually diminish a bit.

Then.. I'm not a northern guy.  :-\ :D

ohsoloco

Cedar is a common wood used in saunas...from what I hear, anyway.

Holmes

I do know pine (all) knots will perpetually bleed. The hotter it gets the more sap will run, even if its 50 years old.
Think like a farmer.

jdtuttle

I built my sauns in 1994 with cedar & it's held up well. Just a little sanding & the fresh cedar smell comes back.
jim
Have a great day

thecfarm

I have never heard of incense cedar. In my parts cedar would be the choice wood to use,but I have white cedar.You mentioned how the cedar ain't,(I think).I feel it's the best to use,if it's like the cedar that grows here.
Can't remember,have you got a sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

REGULAR GUY

Welp, it just shows how much I can be wrong. I was guessing that cedar wouldn't be a good choice but so far ya'll got it hands down FOR Cedar.   I do thank everybody for the input. I coulda called my friends in Finland  but I don't have the same species trees they have anyhoo!!! I usually call them around Mid-Summer to see if they are still "ice fishin" while we're skinny dippin' in our  alpine lakes, heh, heh!! Ya'll got "wet" saunas or "dry" saunas?
Regular Guy

REGULAR GUY

ThecFarm,

Sorry, I ain't good with a computer and can't do two things at once!  Yes, I've got a WM LT40. Love it and havin a ball. I'm doin nothin but learnin so much from ya'll on this Forum. I'm not only learnin to be a better sawyer, but I'm learnin this here computer. Yesterday I couldn't spell "computer geek" now I ARE one!!
Regular Guy

Ron Scott

~Ron

ErikC

Here on the West Coast, the few saunas I have been in or seen were all cedar or redwood.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

BrandonTN

Hey Regular Guy, it's funny because I just spent 8 months in Finland, and enjoyed many'a sauna but never thought about what type of wood I was sitting my bare butt on.  ::)  In most of Finland, they have few tree species...scots pine, Norway spruce, silver birch. I suppose they use pine, but clearly Ron's link says cedar is best. Maybe ask the Finnish?
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Dougahole

Tervetullut (welcome)
I am married to a Fin and we have a 'Finnish' Sauna. Wood burning stove (it gets much hotter than the conventional electric). According to the Fins cedar is the only wood, especially for the benches. It has something to do with the bacteria I am told. Anyway, enjoy!!
PS One other thing, make sure that you use reflective foil paper on the walls on top of your insullation and facing the finishing wood

Thank You Sponsors!