iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is water oak good for?

Started by bushhog920, March 12, 2010, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog920

I see lots of info about white oak and red oak but no one ever talks about water oaks. Have alot around here in alabama anyone know any good uses for it and what is not good for?

Radar67

I cut it and use it just like red oak. It's hard and smells nasty, but looks just as good as red oak when dry.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Water Oak is one of the Red Oaks.  It and Laurel Oak are the most prevelant Red Oaks in the south East.  They make good lumber, but, as in most Southern hardwoods, the grain is course and wide because they grow so fast.   The are also susceptible to heart rot (they live on wet ground) and are frequently attacked by insects (borers).  I think that water oak and laurel oak are beautiful woods and have seen many pieces of furniture made from them.  Of the two, Laurel is the longest living and usually the better lumber comes from it, but neither are long lived trees.  The life expectancy of a Water oak is in the 60 to 80 year range and laurel oak 80 to 100.  They live longer, but begin to deteriorate fast after that.

They aren't used for tight cooperage because their tyloses aren't closed like white oak.  But they are used for dry cooperage, furniture, flooring, cabinets, panelling and do well inside.  Don't use their lumber for outside projects, unless you just have to.  The wood isn't rot resistant.

bushhog920

hey thanks for the info, thats one thing i was needing to know about weather to use it outside or not.

WDH

Tom is on the money.  Good clear water oak logs will cut fine red oak lumber that is indistinguishable from other red oak lumber in the trade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

Let the sap wood on the water/laurel oak spalt and you really have a beautiful board. We make flooring and paneling out of both all the time.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

stonebroke

The life expectancy of a Water oak is in the 60 to 80 year range and laurel oak 80 to 100.  They live longer, but begin to deteriorate fast after that.

[/quote]

Boy Your oaks don't last too long down South, Up here they are just getting going at 60 years old.

Stonebroke

Tom

We live hard and fast, Stonebroke.   Here, hold my beer and watch this! :D

Thank You Sponsors!