iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paw Paws again

Started by bandmiller2, March 11, 2010, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Was reading about paws seems their flowers are strange and don't really attract bees,says they depend on various insects for pollination.I wonder if I mixed a weak solution of honey and water if it would attract bees if I sprayed the blooms with it.Honey bees are attracted to even diluted honey.What are your thoughts ??Don't suppose it would hurt anything.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dana

I would think that if the honey water mix is stickey, it may stay stuck on the flower and not get on the bee's head and legs. With that said, what do you have to loose by experimenting with it.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

bitternut

Yes the flowers on paw paw are kind of strange. They are a funny green color when they first come out and then they turn a deep purple. I have two trees that are planted about twelve feet apart and I never see any kind of insects at all on the blossoms. It does not seem to make any difference though as they have been bearing fruit for several years now. They are also starting to send up root sprouts and I assume that in a few years I may have quite a clump of them.

bandmiller2

Bitternut,your right about the root sprouts,their as bad as that DanG bamboo guess thats why they talk of a paw paw patch.Frank C.

Dana

Quote from: bitternut on March 14, 2010, 12:14:44 AM
I never see any kind of insects at all on the blossoms. It does not seem to make any difference though as they have been bearing fruit for several years now.
I wonder if they are being pollinated at night by moths?

bandmiller2

Very possible Dana,from what I've read it said various insects pollinate but not dependibly.I think some blossoms stink, like something dead, and rely on flies.Frank C.

woodtroll

If they pollinate why mess with it. Spraying sticky watered down honey may cause more problem then good. Insects and flowers tend to develop to work together. Certain parts fit certain plant parts. It also may attract other insects that may hinder pollinators. Like ants. Attracted to the honey, they may very well eat your desired pollinators.
Just a thought.

Magicman

My Paw Paws are blooming now.  Little purple flowers lined up on the stems.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Majic,do you get a good crop of paws every year or do they have fat and lean years??Frank C.

Dana

Yesterday my order of fruit and nut trees arrived. I ordered two Paw Paw's. They both have the same stock number. After ordering I read that I need to have two different varieties in order to have proper pollination is this correct?

I have never tasted a paw paw is it going to be worth the wait?

Any other hints on growing them?

Here are the ones I ordered.http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=46

bandmiller2

Dana,most likely your paws were started from seed and their would be variation.Millers is an old company and would send you what will work.I took a chance planting the pair of paws, wife and i boath like them, they spread from roots before long you will have a paw patch.Dana, if your worried call Millers and ask them their good folks and will give you a straight answer.

Magicman

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 08, 2010, 08:34:22 PM
Majic,do you get a good crop of paws every year or do they have fat and lean years??Frank C. 

Some years, more than others.  Bad thing is that I may happen to miss the peak ripening time.  You gotta keep a fairly close watch on them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

I was amazed how the green paws can hide on the tree.If they fall green a couple of days on the window sill will ripen them.I've got alot of flowers that haven't opened yet this year may try pollinating with a small paint brush just to be sure.Frank C.

SPIKER

I wanted to say I planted a bunch of PAW PAWs this past week in the edge of the garden at my place.   They were a wonderful gift from one of our fellow members sent me last fall when I asked if anyone had any...   I stratified them over winter in the fridge in wet/damp sand in the fridge with a good handful of Chinese Chestnuts.

I had several chestnuts with 1/2" sprout / shoots out the bottom without even cutting the nut case/hide...  I didnt notice any on the PAWPAWs but am hopeful!!!

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

bandmiller2

Mark, I too am waiting for paw seeds to germinate have heard it takes seven weeks for them to sprout.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Back to paws again their in bloom here now,I'am going to act like a bee and pollinate a section with a small art brush and see if it makes any differance.From what I've read you don't want to do too mant the tree can't support them all. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Paws are loaded with flowers this spring.I pollinated some of the lower ones with a small brush and I'll compare to the ones that will be naturally polinated,then i'll know if its worth the bother.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!