iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1944 Army Mill (pics)

Started by NWwoodsman, March 11, 2010, 10:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

So got this mill a few weeks ago from a buddy who I helped clean up his land. It's a Cornith, made in Miss. 1944. Has a 60 inch blade with inserts. Don't real need it just thought it was cool. Anyone know of another one around?

Chuck White

That's a really neat "find"!

Take care and preserve that blade with all the writing on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jimparamedic

Tripp

Wow!  That makes my 40 inch Belsaw blade look pretty small.
Interesting mill with a touch of history involved. A good project mill if it is complete.

Tripp

sdunston

Great find, keep us all posted and keep them pictures comming 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

Woodsman,your it's daddy now the only honorable thing to do is restore it and use it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

That is cool.  I must offer a little advice.  Since the mill is from MS, if you want it work well you better keep it warm. ;) :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

What a find, and with all of that writing.  I'll bet that old 60" blade cut some mighty big logs..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ErikC

Looks like you are all set to build barracks for a WWII movie the authentic way :D
I think that writing is on the carriage not the blade, right?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

shinnlinger

Sweet pickup, both the mill and the mid 60's  F series.  I like how they define a 60" circle mill as "portable" I suppose though, if you had a plattoon of guys at your disposal, everything is portable.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

NWwoodsman

Yeah the writing is on the carriage not the blade. I might try to get the rest of the mill, it's not on my buddy's place but his uncles, so might take some greenbacks to get it. I saw this saw run when I was just a lad, pretty big set-up. Trim saws, sawdust conveyer, big diesel motor, log rollers, all in the black berries now.

ErikC

It would be great if you could get it going again. Besides the fun involved, it's the right thing to do. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bandmiller2

Woodsman,preserving and using old machinery is our debt to the past.Talk to uncle you've got half the mill now,pick his brain,learn what you can.Life zips by fast,when your an old man you want to think back, DanG,I stured up alot of dust,I did it, set up that old mill and mastered it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

Great looking project so far - keep up the pics and keep us up to date 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

zopi

Big sucker....bet it took some HP to run...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice mill it looks like it shouldnt take toomuch work to bring it bak into full swing  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) Now go get the rest of it you have a rare beast there being ex army Mate  ;) The I.D plate is on the husk which carries the feedworks mandral and the saw which are all in the pics like whats been said thats a dang nice nice ute you have there too keep us posed and keep up the pics  Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Zopi it would have required between 100hp min and would have run sweet with about 160hp on the carriage mate back int the day how it was settup it would have pumped out the timber with a 4 to 8 man crew Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

wannasaw

Wow a saw like that would make me a proud papa!! Congrats...
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

timberfaller390

As a sideline to this thread, Does anybody know if the military still has and uses portable sawmills? You see camo dozers and cunstruction equipment being moved all the time. Are there any camo wood-mizers out there?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

NWwoodsman

Here is my other mill not as old but alot more portable and only takes one man to operate.

It's a 1966 Mobil Dimension only a 40 hp VW motor needed for this saw.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Timberfaller whe have had our own sawmilling regiment's in the Australian Army since 1939 which i was going to join back in 99 when i had my car accedent and crused my leg  >:(

they where based in almost every major engagement from the pacific to europe and england they built their own portable/reloatable mills for the war the most produtive one was in Png two 10hr shifts 10 men on each crew would produce upto 110m3 sawn or about 46500 bft per day in total sawing hardwood  ;) ;D ;D they became known as Finlayison mills they where a carriage type mill with breast benches and docking saws  ;)

there where  also Australian made Forestmills,Bowman mills & Mobile electric mills  and afew MD thrown into the mix over the years they where all quater saws some of the larger mills where on trailers that got towed around they  got rid of alot of the older mills in the  the 80s and 90s and just have Lucas's now they are actualy Lucas mills biggest single customer  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

one of my mates over here started with an ex army finlayison that had been in storage for about 30 years in th eairly 90s jezz they worked that mill hard and pumped out some timber with it  it ended up getting a homemade coversion to auto before they finisherd with it  and its still working now for another sawmiller down here  ;) ;D 8) 8)

oh and if someones looking for a new Md head i know where two are sitting at another bloke i knows place $1000 ea will get them they are compleat with saws belts feed works minus motor they both have never been used  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!