Sponsors:

V8 SAW

Started by JD_Kid, October 13, 2003, 04:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
hope this link works

http://www.punchbaby.com/clip_cool.htm

go there and scrol down till ya see v8 chainsaw  it's a AVI and about1.5Mb  worth a look  8)

catch ya
JD Kid

I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

jokers

That`s "Rotax Robert" Andrews and his buddy V-6 Bill. The saw is aptly named Predator as you can see on the bar. It`s a Buick aluminum block V-8, 215ci I believe.

Robert is also a competitive hotsaw racer, placing in the top spots regularly. He`s also a great guy.

There is a whole thread about the building of the Predator at arboristsite.com in the chainsaw forum.

Russ

Jeff

There is quite a few mentions of it here also on previous threads.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jokers

Sorry Jeff, didn`t mean to step on your toes by mentioning the other site, but any reference I`ve seen to the Predator here was not as in depth as the thread about building the saw or how he picked the name. Purely coincidence of course.

I also recognize that most posters here post there as well, so I didn`t feel that I would be redirecting any forum members from here to there. Feel free to delete my post, with no hard feelings, if you would like.

Russ

Jeff

Joker, Was not thinking that at all. Just adding to the info. The Arborist site is a great board.  I was just trying to encourage rummaging around on this site a little as thier is a lot of other stuff a guy will find by accident.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

village-moron

Tell that boy I'll trade him my PM610 for that V8 saw. I want one of them things like I want to be rich. I cant Imagine that being very practical for ANYTHING other than competition use. I know its a hot saw but I just want to borrow it for 5 minutes, just to cut my firewood. have it all cut for the rest of the winter. Who wants to borrow their wifes station wagon? lol just kidding I wouldnt make it past the driveway if she knew I was gonna make a hotsaw with the engine from her car. By the way what the HELL pitch of chain is he running on that saw? I KNOW he aint using .250 pitch it must be like .500 or .750 pitch. chain on that big thing.
town moron

Oregon_Rob

Interesting stuff for sure. I got to meet him and watch him in action summer before last at a competition. Afraid it wouldn't be much good for the fire wood thing. There isn't any way to cool it. Basically he fires it up, revs it up and plunge it into the log, hope it makes it through with the chain still in tact and shuts it down. At the competition I watched, I think he went through a 30" fir log in under 2 seconds.
Chainsaw Nerd

village-moron

OK then if you cant cool the thing, I think I'll just make a V2  model myself. I need a V twin harley engine, anyone got one they dont need? I can redneck rig a cooling system for a chainsaw myself. I am a redneck, I know how to cool things real good unless you are talkin diesel engines, then y'all are on yore own. I can probably find a cooling unit for a V8 that would work rather well. If you ca nget me one of thos saws I think I can devise a cooling system for it. Just have the maker e-mail me the blueprints for the unit. I would most likely have an idea or 2 or 10 within minutes of lookin over the locations of the coolin system ports. I would have to make it with an I-4 or smaller engine to make it an effecitve fire wood and GIANT tree bucking machine.Just gotta get the little $#@ rigged up with bar of no less than 6 feet long with a .750 pitch chain and up to a 20 foot double ender bar with another engine on the other end with a reverser gear set.
town moron

Dennis

As Rob said...seeing the saw in action is well worth it...rotax is a great guy and one of my very good friends...if you are lucky enough, you could very well have a chance to operate the saw as well...Robert (rotax) is one of the few guys out there that will allow almost anyone to step up to the other side of his saw...I have seen and been on both sides of the Predator....and I can tell you....well..."WOW"  wear earplugs...and hang on!!

the Vtwin Harleys cut good....and look really good (especially with two bikini clad babes running it) they sound fantastic....but unfortunately aren't contenders...
Just Log It.

village-moron

Well if V twin harley engines arent good contenders, How about a turbocharged KAWASAKI V4 motorcycle engine? they have more HP and rev higher than Harley engines, IF I could rig one up for my eveyday use, would you think it would be a practical unit for bucking logs on the site? and would loggers pay to buy one? I'm almost sure that given the right parts and time I can make them into a very handy little slasher for landing sites.
town moron

Dennis

Village....there are some V4's out there...as well as a V6 with nitrous, which is on the ESPN clip...fast saws...but noone beats the V8's yet...

As far as practical usage.....I don't think so.
Just Log It.

Thank You Sponsors!