iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Thousand Cankers Disease" (TCD) - Another one that deserves attention

Started by JimTwoSticks, March 10, 2010, 11:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimTwoSticks

(getting a connection was reset message so I'll try it without the attachments...I'll try to get them up shortly - if I can't just do a google search for Thousand Cankers Disease)

I'm sure many of you have heard about the devastating Walnut Twig Beetle/Fungus interaction recently described on walnuts in the west.
For those that have not heard about it or are interested in more information I've attached a couple of pest alerts/ID guides.
With specific regard to Juglans nigra TCD has only been found in trees planted outside of their native range.
If you are within the native range of walnut (especially black walnut) your State (or Provincial) departments of agriculture likely will be soon enacting quarantines on the movement of walnut wood, bark etc. Check with them for information on the movement of wood or if a quarantine is in place.
Also, keep you eyes peeled while sawing!

Enjoy!  :P

JimTwoSticks

well, here's one of them....the other will probably work the same way

JimTwoSticks

Kansas

I attended a meeting in Topeka, KS yesterday morning of about a dozen loggers and sawmillers, along with Dept of Agriculture and the Kansas Forest Service about proposed quarantine procedures concerning Thousand Cankers Disease. It was a good meeting. The government folks were very willing to listen. We pointed out changes we would like to see on their proposed rules. They seem to feel other states are looking to see what we plan on doing. They plan on extensive testing this summer in the state, and from the sounds of it, Nebraska will too. The quarantine rules were actually proposed for walnut coming into Kansas. The loggers and sawmillers were more interested in trying to come up with common sense quarantine rules in case it ever hits in Kansas, especially if other states adopt the rules Kansas comes up with.There is no commercial logging in the areas that have it that come into Kansas. Still, they showed the usual craigslist type ads of people wanting to sell dead walnut trees in yards in Colorado. I cringe at the thought of some pickup and trailer with CO tags pulling up to the mill wanting to sell a walnut tree, just because they happened to be coming this way.
They are moving quickly on this one. I would be suprised if there wasn't a proposed final draft within the next two months. They were the first to admit there is a lot they don't know about this beetle, about movement and how it would affect native tree stands.

ErikC

Current issue of Sawmill&Woodlot magazine has a good article about it. I just got mine a few days ago. Definitely something to watch.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

estiers

FYI - The Kansas external quarantine went into effect 7/20/2010.  No movement of regulated articles into or through the state from ANYWHERE without a state phytosanitary certificate of inspection.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Ironwood

With EAB just arrived in my backyard, it will be intersting to see where this one leads.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!