iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying cherry and maple

Started by True North, March 10, 2010, 11:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I have a cherry log and a couple of maple logs to saw. I was told to get the maple boards into a kiln right away. Is that critical on the cherry, or would I be ok to sticker them outside for a while (covered)? Someone is coming up at a later time to buy them, and I want to make sure that they are looking good when they come up. Ideally I would like to just sticker them outside and sell them green when they come up.  Would that work ok, or should I get it all into a kiln to prevent staining, etc?

Dodgy Loner

The advice for the maple is spot-on. It will stain very quickly. Cherry is much more forgiving. No need to dry it quickly. However, kiln-dried lumber sells for a premium over green lumber, so take that into consideration.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I have had trouble with maple developing gray stain on stickers here in this hotter climate.  There needs to be very good airflow.  I plan to use a small fan to move the air on the next batch that I try to air dry.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

if you use dried stickers (small) and stack your wood in a well ventulated area(air flow) you won't have any problems in this northern climate. the biggest mistake people make is they don't get the logs sawed quick enough after the trees were fallen. if you go from stump to sticker in 2 weeks you'll be fine.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

petefrom bearswamp

My way Here in Central New York State with quite high humidity and with SMALL  amounts of Maple is to stack the boards against my shed vertically for a couple or 3 days to let the surface dry,
Then I stack the conventional way with stickers that i have made in the  cross section of an "H" beam, 4' long and have had no trouble.
I have made hundreds of these stickers with my shaper and a custom bit from Charles Schmidt and Co.
I cover the piles with some used metal roofing in an area with good air flow.
Hope this helps
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Forgot to mention, cherry is no problem with conventional stickering
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV