iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

energy wood harvesters

Started by junglejim, March 10, 2010, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglejim

howde all
this is my first post. Been reading for about a month. Glad to be a part of this group.
Has anyone had any experience with tree shears with accumulators? I have been looking online at fixed mount and dangle head units. I guess I should mention it would be mounted on 27,000 lb  80 hp excavator used for thinning operations in the inland northwest. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.  : ???

WDH

The fixed sawhead (not shear) with accumulator is the standard bread and butter cutter in the South for thinning. 

The dangle heads with the chainsaw bar cutter are used mainly to fell, delimb, and cut the tree into log lengths at the stump.  They generally do not accumulate trees, but rather process individual trees by delimbing and cutting to length.  The fixed sawhead is fast fast fast, and will outcut a dangle head and accumulate stems for skidding.  In most cases, with the dangle head, the cut-to-length stems are forwared out with a forwarer to roadside.

These are two different strategies.  With tree length felling and skidding with no intermediate stem processing, the sawhead is the most productive method if the ground allows tree length skidding.  On steeper ground or with a cut-to-length system, the dangle head approach is a good one.

It all depends on your ground and your processing strategy.  In the Northwest, the fellerbuncher-tree-length-skidder systems are not prevalent because of terrain and slope.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

junglejim

thanks WDH , nice pics
I was more interseted if any one had had any experiance with smaller shear heads like the dymax timberwolf or a naarva grip mounted on an excavator.

Bobus2003

Something like this is what your thinkin? Not a Shear but a Saw

http://www.threelakestruck.com/logging.html

I have a 2000 Link Belt Quantum 1600 With a Patu 410SH Dangle Processor Head. Its a Cut-to-length Unit, but in smaller trees 0-10" butt I can lift and carry allowing to bundle for skidding

A Buddy is running a Timbco 425 with a Shear Head.. that machine can fell and bunch alot of wood in a quick fast hurry

fishpharmer

Junglejim, welcome to forestry forum.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

arojay

Bobus, I like it!  I have been thinking about a machine in the 150 class for a couple of years(more now that I have reconstructive hip surgery in my near future).  What is the maximum size of log that you can handle on a regular basis?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Bobus2003

I can do 16" trees without a Problem.. 12-14" are the ideal sized tree for the machine to process

sjfarkas

I don't know anybody that uses a buncher other than a timbco because of the terrain.  I know in CA they use a buncher with a bar saw.  I was told it is because of the fire hazard of the hotsaw.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Bobus2003

Quote from: sjfarkas on March 13, 2010, 02:11:59 AM
I don't know anybody that uses a buncher other than a timbco because of the terrain.  I know in CA they use a buncher with a bar saw.  I was told it is because of the fire hazard of the hotsaw.

Both have a risk of Fire from Sparks.. The Hot saw though seems to put up to Rocky/dirty cutting better than those with Bar saws

mahonda

I have a 14 inch dymax timber wolf mounted on a 272c skid steer works great but is limited on where it can go. its super light and floats on snow even. one advantage is no stumps which my back loves!
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

Thank You Sponsors!