iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big a wind brace???

Started by shinnlinger, March 09, 2010, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I teach a high school building construction class and this year we are tapped to build new dugouts for the baseball team.  It will be a hybrid frame with an open 6x6 timberframe front.  LOw profile (8ft high) is important, so I can't run what I call a 3 ft windbrace (measure three feet from the corner to the mortise) and need to run a two foot brace.  I will stiffen the roof up to accommodate this, but what size should the brace stock be? 3x5?  and how far between shoulders is a two foot brace?  a 3 ft brace is 50 and 15/16s shoulder to shoulder if I am remembering correctly.  If I don't have specifics, I am inclined to square the timbers up and measure form there, but it is always good to have exact numbers.  Maybe I will get the math department involved.

Square rule I think says my mortise and tenon should be 1.5 inches wide.  Correct???

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jim_Rogers

Yes for a 3" thick brace your mortise and tenon should be 1 1/2" thick and use a 3/4" peg.

The math is not that hard..... if you have a really good framing square it is all done for you on the brace layout section of the square..... do you know where that is....?

it's on the back side of the tongue of the square..... do you know which side of the square is the back side?

These are things you should learn and teach to your students it will save them time and are interesting facts.....

If you hold the framing square horizontal and have the body (2" section) in front of you and the 1 1/2" section, the tongue going under your right arm, this is the front.

If you hold the framing square horizontal and have the body in front of you and the tongue going under your left arm, this side is the back.......

If you look at the back you'll see a row of numbers on it like 36 over 36 with a 50 and a 91 beside it...... that means for a 36" x 36" brace layout the brace is 50 point 91 inches long.....

now we all need to use fractions of an inch so we need to convert the point 91 to a fraction so we can use out tape measure and other measuring tools that are laid out in 16th's of an inch.....

So to get point 91 converted to 16ths you take your pocket calculator and enter point 91 times 16 and you'll get the answer....... which is 14.56.

That means 14 16ths plus point 56....so we round up the 6 to the next column and make the 5 a 6 and then round up the 6 to make the 14 a 15 so the answer is 50 and 15/16" which you have mentioned before.....

Now let's look at the framing square and find the 24 over 24 and we see it says 33 and 94 so that's 33 inches point 94....... what is that in 16ths?

And in this case we round down........
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shinnlinger

Excelent answer as always Jim,  Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Raphael

That's the one advantage I see to the Japanese square, everything is base ten, that .91 is 9/10s on the square and tape measure so you're totally calculator free.

Of course I don't have a tape measure in tenths so I use the real brain dead method.  I'd put 24-0/16" rise by 24" run into my construction calculator and let it tell me the diagonal to the nearest 16th.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!