iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

13 Horse Honda surges and won't idle

Started by shinnlinger, March 09, 2010, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

The old turner has developed above problem.  I am sure it is ethanol related even thought I put marine stabilizer in the fuel.

So what to do?  drain all fuel and start with fresh gas makes sense to me, but should I order a rebuild kit for the carb?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

coastlogger

Whatever you do dont start buying Honda carb parts. From memory I think the float needle valve fr Honda is $40 or so. ,and that is prob not all you need. An aftermarket complete carb is  around $60, aftermarket float needle around $10.Does your engine flood if you stop it without turning gas off? Common related problem.
Id disassemble carb, soak in laquer thinner, blow out with air and reassemble. if still same consider the new carb.
clgr
clgr

bandmiller2

Shinn,I'd drain what fuel you can,add freash with a good dose of seafoam additive.Run it a wile then let it sit,next day run again and so on a couple of days I think you will see a marked improvement.Its good form now to shutoff the fuel and run em dry between uses.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

OneWithWood

Check the long spring on the throttle linkage.  If it is hosed a replacement is only a couple of bucks.  That was the problem I had with my 11hp Honda.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shinnlinger

Thanks,

How does one "check the long spring"???
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

laffs

try a new air filter .my filter looked pretty clean but it apparently was clogged with that fine sawdust,put on a new filter and it came out of it.
brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

panman

I had the same problem with the new-used mill I bought.
I took the card aprt, and cleaned it.
Found that the bolts where it was bolted to the intake manifoled were loose.
Also the "long spring", governor spring was broken.
After I cleaned the grunge out of the carb, tightened the intake manifold bolts, and replaced the spring, she now idles like a champ.
A plugged air cleaner would also have about the same symptons.
Jim

OneWithWood

Quote from: shinnlinger on March 10, 2010, 05:24:02 PM
Thanks,

How does one "check the long spring"???

If it is stretched ti the point there is no spring action replace it.  Actually at less than $3 just replace it.  While you are at it follow Panman's methodology above and you should be good to go.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!