iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rippin' another overgrown oak

Started by MemphisLogger, October 12, 2003, 09:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Ugh . . . had to saw up another overgown oak log  ::)

Customer got 531 bdft of quarter and rift out of one 10' 4" log  :)

We got $380  8)

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

ronwood

UrbanLogger,

What are you using for a straight edge to get the cuts with the chainsaw?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Ianab

looks like ya did an excellent job ripping it up with the saw there
Next on ya shopping list needs to be a swingblade if you getting many logs like that ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kevin

Ron ,
That looks like the Beam Machine.

WoodChucker

Looks like your doing a great job but I sure wouldn't want to do that all day, even if I could! lol.

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

OneWithWood

Urb,
Looks like a bit of hardwork for sure!
I see in the first pic the person (you?) at least has on a safety helmet but it looks like the ear protection (what's that you say? eh? ) is not being used and the person in the second pic is not even bothering with the helmet.  I don't want to rain on your parade but the proper attire (chaps, helmet, face and eye protection, gloves, etc. will save your butt someday.  Keep up the good work and please work safely!!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kevin

That type of milling is a real back breaker.

MemphisLogger

Right on the beam machine, Kevin--best $30 ever spent!  :)

That's me with the Peltor helmet on, OneWithWood. I Thank you for your concern about our safety--we usually are.  :-[

I wear the Peltor whenever running the saw or the Woodmizer--it saves on the eardrums and keeps the chips outta yer face.

We didn't expect to be rippin the log. We thought it was gonna be a one-log, two-hour job from the customer's measure. But who can complain if you're getting paid by the hour.  ;D  

Anyhoo, that 372 with a RD chain really rips  ??? through the oak but I can't imagine sawing boards with it. You chainsaw millers out there must be a bunch of big tough guys  :-*  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Papa Dave

Well, I have to get started soon cutting some Memphis Red Oak, but I sure hope it will fit on the mill. That looks like way to much work for an old man like me.

Keep up the good work

MemphisLogger

Howdy Papa Dave!

I figured you musta gotten some logs out of our little storm.  ;D

We prefer it if they're all exactly 32" in diameter but you know that's small around here.  ;)

Of course we really prefer 'em if they're somethin' easy to saw like these cedars 8)  

Papa Dave

I know what you mean. Yes, I did get some oak from our little storm. That cedar looks great too.

raycon

This months issue of wooden boat has a few pictures of large logs and a article on marine plywood showing the construction process.

http://www.woodenboat.com/174b.jpg
http://www.woodenboat.com/174toc.jpg

Wonder how the alaskan mill would compare time wise to the fella using wedges on the same log?
Lot of stuff..

MemphisLogger

It looks like what they were after is truly quartered oak--a must if you're gonna bend boards to fit the shape of the hull.

Even the best of quarterSAWN oak while break with such dramatic bending.

I have a friend here in Memphis that makes chairs and he won't touch sawn wood--he prefers to rive it with a froe.

I've thought about making a riving mill--basically a huge log splitter--to supply chair makers. They pay top dollar!

It's my understanding that in the old days "rivers" would hook a team of horses up to a harness that pulled a log through a fixed wedge.    

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

To Raycon,

I have used wedges and gluts, as well as chain saws for quartering.   Either one is tough, but there is nothing like the level of heart pumpin' that swinging a 10lb. sledge for an hour or two to split a big log twice can give you.

Let's just say you could skip the visit to the health center that day!  :D ( I was using checking wedges, splitting wedges, and dogwood gluts, when I did it the hard way.  Now that I'm older, I would probably end up in the hospital!)

Now,... where  DID I leave them gluts?!  My wife wants me in better shape. (or does she just want the insurance money?  Come to think of it,... both the buddies who were with me one day, while I was splitting, are DEAD  NOW!  GEE!   :-/  )
Phil L.

P.S. to Papa Dave:
        Yep,   that particular "day" mentioned above was just
         under 20 years ago!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Papa Dave

Phil:

I recently watched some young men use a 20lb. sledge hammer to break up a concrete patio. I realized very quickly that the younger men were much more suited to the task than me. ::)

Just cutting the wood on my mill is a big workout for me. It takes two days to recover after cutting for a couple of days. :'(

Have a great day

UNCLEBUCK

can anyone tell me where I can buy that beam machine attachment for my chainsaw, that is exactly what I need for squaring up sill logs that are too long for the sawmill ! I have never seen that ! wow !!!!!!!! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

dtody

They have something similar to the Beam Machine at Rockler Woodworking stores, There was one on the shelf, almost the same concept/look.  Might be quicker if you have a store nearby.

MemphisLogger

LSUNo1

Urban...question...how did you get the first side flat? Did you use the beam machine or do you need a relatively flat surface?  

MemphisLogger

If you're  asking how we make first cut, the 2x4 that the beam machine follows is nailed right on top of the log, sometimes with a few shims to make it lie perpendicular to the desired cut.

Of course, we block the sides of the log so it won't accidentally roll while we're on it.

We make the cuts just shy of half way through so the log stays together as we roll it to make subsequent cuts.  

After the first cut (just shy of the center) we roll the log 90 degrees for the second cut. Then again 90 degrees for the third cut.

After the third cut is done, we usually break out the gluts and split the log into 2 halves--one to be ripped and the other to be finished splitting.

It usually takes us 15 minutes for each cut, including rolling and tacking on the 2x4. Thus it usually adds an hour or so to the job--well worth it to the customer who gets a lot of clear lumber from such a large log.

This method also leaves us in a perfect position to saw for quarter and rift which is preferred for the flooring applications that these large red oaks usually go to.  

UNCLEBUCK

thanks Kevin,UrbanLogger and dtody ! gonna get me a beam machine ! super dooper ! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

LSUNo1

I follow. From the first picture it appears top of log and bottom are flat like you might want to do on a large diameter log to trim it just to fit on the mill. Understand to shim the 2x perpendicular. Thanks.  

Thank You Sponsors!