iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on 12" Shop Planer Motor.

Started by SwampDonkey, March 09, 2010, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I'm trying to get at a bearing (labeled #6 in the attached PDF) inside the motor housing. Here are some color pictures of my motor on a Trade Master 12" Planer. Also, a diagram in PDF format with parts list (2 pages).

Near as I can tell, the best way to get at the bearing, as you'll see in the PDF as #6 in the diagram and #7 in the parts list, is to take part number 13 (motor pulley) off on the end of the armature assembly. What would I use to pull that pulley off? This would let me take the housing off the motor and get at the bearing #6. Other than parts #5 and #45, there is nothing holding the housing on. The pulley is larger than the hole for the armature assembly in the motor housing #1.

Don't know why they have the part number messed up in the parts list. But, it's a Taiwanese product if that matters, as most wood hobby shop tools come from there anyway. ;)

Anyone got any suggestions? Oh Grand Pooh-bah?  ;D  :D

I got nothing but time. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I've got it figured out, but I need a smaller puller to get behind that pulley. The one I have is too big to latch on to'er.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Slabs

I've used a hub puller and a couple of carriage bolts because the bolt heads will slip behind almost anything.  I think you are at an  advantage with that small-diameter pulley.  You would have to hold the carriage bolts into position until some pressure was availabel to hold them but they should stay in place avterward.  If not, wrap some haywire around them.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

Not enough clearance Slabs. About 1/8" or a hair more.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Here's the puller I need, attached below. Has 2-1/4" reach

My armature shaft is 3/8", the centre bolt in this is 5/16".

I'll be able to reach the bearings on each end, checked it with the tape, lots of reach.

We freed the bearing with a pipe wrench the other day and turned it. The trouble with that bearing is the vent is over it for the fan to suck in air. So now that I see what's going on a shot of Rust Reaper in there every once in awhile will save the next bearing.

May also need a new current regulator (part #11), don't know yet. I think there may be some damage to it when the bearing seized, I seem to recall some burnt plastic smoke for about an hour afterward. :D

SwampDonkey

Here's a better view on their web page, but the PDF drawing shows all the spec measurements.

http://www.posilock.com/ManPullers/man102opt.htm

SwampDonkey

Well, the best place I have found so far for this puller is:

http://www.mile-x.com/posi-lock-102-gear-puller.aspx

POSI-LOCK 102 Three Jaw Puller

They don't ship to Canada. None do that I've looked at except one that has an Ottawa store (Newman Tools), but tack on about $50 because of $100 shipping minimum. Found the Mile-X link at Amazon.com. Besides that, I prefer regular Postal Service since the delivery companies tack on $50-60 fuel surcharge. I do have PayPal myself, as this company also accepts it. It's a $60 item at Mile-X. The item is less than 1 lb in weight.

Newman Tools is the one that has an Ottawa office.

http://www.newmantools.com/price/pospr.htm

Other than that, run'n outta options. Now I know how Harold feels. Welcome to Afghanida. :D :D

isawlogs

They also have a store in Montréal .. I was just around the corner yesterday from that store .. Had I known I could of easily picked one up for you and put it in the mail .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well, I ain't in no hurry for it. But, it's just one of them things that just burns a spot in your gut. :D :D

I know where I could get one here, but I would have to travel to the far end of the province and chances are they would be out of stock when I arrived. :D :D  I don't know if it's the same brand, but I was talking to the guy down at Hartland Armature and he had to get one down there and it's his at home tool, not a shop tool.

Thanks for thinking of me Marcel. ;D

SwampDonkey

Marcel, looks like I can get the puller from Acklands-Grainger in Moncton.

I'll have to call or have one of the shops in town call. I have all the info I need printed off.  8)

SwampDonkey

I'll be picking up my puller at the local auto centre this Monday.  8)

Thank goodness for the internet so a fella can get stuff done.  ;)

isawlogs

Cool , I am going back to Montréal  next week. If you still need it by then let me know .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well, now that that's on hold, I'll have to take my old brush saw apart and see what blew up last fall. It's actually the newer power unit. Nice warm sun out, gonna set right up in front of the barn door. Life is good. ;D  8)

SwampDonkey

Got the motor apart and the current regulator is pretty much shot. So cheaper to get a new motor than to rebuild it. Ordered the motor and a new infeed roller. Be in, in a weeks time. Close to $400 with tax I think. I think a new 12", 2 horse planer is $700 or more now.

SwampDonkey

Well, I tried ordering parts from a local shop, that has dead ended it seems. So, I contacted the company direct, from information off their website and they have the parts in stock as far as I can tell from the response. So, this coming week I'm calling to get them direct. I don't know what is up with the local shop, I figure since they wouldn't be putting it together (I'm doing it myself) they didn't see any profit margins. That's fine be me, it's been 6 weeks now. So you can imagine my words right now for them. I doubt they ever ordered them. :D

bandmiller2

Swamper,I assume you don't have room for a real motor in your plainer.I'am sure with some looking around a simular motor could be found those compact motors are used on alot of stuff now like table saws,you have a graingers store get their big catalog and compare the size and specs.I fooled em eliminated the motor and drive my old Parks plainer from the tractor PTO no shortage of power.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

Might as well build my own planer from scratch. :D

bandmiller2

Swamper,just looked at your parts breakdown guess that motor is special looks like one end has a gear reduction to drive the feed rolls,I should have looked first before sugesting a motor change.I would think for the price of the motor a big old used plainer could be found,alot of cabinet shops have shut down.Alot of the old cast iron mill equipment is just short of eternal and is worth looking for and the waite.Frank C.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, they did shut down. But, decades ago in these parts and tools long sold off.  This area isn't a high population density and to find something like that would be like winning a lottery. ;D

A new planer like this would be about $700 and with the new motor and infeed roller it will be brand new again for half the cost. ;D

bandmiller2

Swamper did you buy it new and has it given you good service? What you say makes sence and is probibly the cheapest in the long run.Frank C.

SwampDonkey

Brand new and used it 17 years. Doesn't owe me anything. ;D Fine sawdust eventually seized a bearing by the pulley. There was a nice strong burned plastic smelling smoke for awhile when the motor burned up. Mmmmm the smell of burned plastic. ;D :D

bandmiller2

Swamper better fix your old buddy then.Bet it was days before you got that burned plastic smell out of your nose and shop. Frank c.

SwampDonkey

My parts are at the post office, one week after ordering them. I was too late getting home yesterday to pick them up.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Finally getting around to putting my new motor back in the planer.

I set the bottom half of the top housing on to turn down the planer head and affix the screws underneath that hold the dust bags on the up and down shafts.

I left the top off because I have to align the blades to the work pieces using a block/gauge you cut out on the saw. That's a later task.

Plugged the new motor in, turned on the switch, no noise. Can only mean one thing, no brushes in the motor. Sure enough. But, I have a set I installed right away. Threw the switch, and the hum of a planer can be heard.   :)

Had a nice little fire in the stove, although it really wasn't all that cold. Yesterday, I also had a fire because I had put a new thimble in the flu, new pipes and mortar. So, yesterday I wanted to dry the mortar and burn off that paint on the new sections of pipe. The stuff smokes bad so you just go to the house and leave the door open in the shop until that process is over with. That taking care of yesterday's task made for a pleasant day today along with a little small fire to keep the chill off while I tinker away on the planer. :)

SwampDonkey

I'm going down to the shop today and finish my planer job. I was wondering if there is an aerisol based grease I should use on the drive chains. A can that has an applicator you can direct more accurately onto the chains. I don't want to make a sloppy mess. ;)

I've got to level the head of the planer with the bed and put the top back on.

I want to make a little project before Christmas for my uncle.

Thank You Sponsors!