iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone active in Farm Bureau

Started by sjfarkas, March 09, 2010, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjfarkas

Our County Farm Bureau has had a disconect from the timber industry even though we had 2 large mills, 1 now.  I've been trying to get our Farm Bureau more involved with the timber industry and we now have a logger on our board.  I'm just wondering what the rest of the country is like with Farm Bureau and forestry.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

bull

I serve on my county farm bureau board of directors

Sawyerfortyish

Our ex govenor eliminated the dept of agriculture and combined it with the Dep. That was the worst thing that could happen.

bull

Farm Bureau is not part of state government or the department of agriculture.....

scsmith42

FB in NC does not like either logging or sawmills.  They specifically excluded my sawmill from my farmowners policy, and dropped the rider that included workmans compensation insurance for the same reason.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sjfarkas

It sounds like farm bureau is not involved much with forestry in the rest of the country, that's a shame.  Timber is an agricultural crop! 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

rick f

I was up until a couple of years ago. I was a county dir. for a number of years. Forestry was always talked about at the monthly meetings. 
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

DR Buck

I'm a member and they won't cover any of my sawmill business related equipment or liability.  I have a separate carrier from the farm for sawmill related stuff.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

OneWithWood

Farm Bureau in Indiana is not interested in forestry or the forestry products industry. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

chain

May have to take a different approach as  in "Agroforestry" to get FB more involved. Agroforestry seems to be a rather broad term; including but not limited to plantations of walnut, pecan, chinese-chestnut, and many others all with a nut or fruit crop, even too, are nursery interests related to forestry. Walnut may cultivated to grow on to be a timber tree. Pasturing and culivating companion crops are grown within these plantations. Many of those in agroforestry use irrigation, fertilizers, pesticides, and special marketing. To me, FB would nearly have to honor those and represent a voice in the forest industry.

A logger-cattleman I know well is a delegate to the FB convention here in Missouri. I will try to check with him, but insurance wise, sawmillers and loggers may have to be excluded for obvious reasons.

bull

Farm Bureau in Mass. is very much infavor of the Forest products industry, The state office has a full time employee who is assigned that task!!!

treefarmer87

my mother is, she has a meeting every wed they have a program you can get in where you can get a pine plantation going and they will pay for it if you have the land and will maintain it for a certain amount of years.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Banjo picker

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 09, 2010, 11:49:39 PM
FB in NC does not like either logging or sawmills.  They specifically excluded my sawmill from my farmowners policy, and dropped the rider that included workmans compensation insurance for the same reason.

FB in Miss. won't insure sawmills either...My agent said he would try to get me a quote from some other outfit...took a bunch of info down...haven't heard anything about it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Corley5

I'm on the Cheboygan County FB board.  Forestry is a Farm Bureau concern here. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chain

Needed to bump this up 'cause I received my March -April issue of "Show-Me" a Missouri Farm Bureau magazine. In this edition two articles devoted to forest and wood uses.

First, a news item under "Misconceptions of Agriculture" where facts and myths are proven and disproven. The question this month was, "What is the primary fuel used to meet human needs?  Of course you and I know it is wood, but did we know more than two BILLION people use wood as their primary source of energy?

Further, the article states, wood is considered an agricultural product and a continual source of energy...get this...60% of the world's total wood removal is used for energy purposes, firewood, charcoal and biofuels for commercial use!

Bare with me but yet another article of interest, is a Missouri forest farmer saws special wood from his forest making benches. You would have to see the photos here to fully appreciate this man's talents; they're thick cut, rustic, and he routs out special inscriptions as to what interest  he is building for. A bench he made with "Missouri Tigers" emblem brought $550.00 at the Young Farmers and Ranchers Conference, the money was donated to the Foundation for Agriculture, another bench was raffled for a highschool fund raiser brought $800.00. Also makes benches to raise money to help folks with medical bills and cancer patients. A very special fellow , he is!

Banjo picker

Just because they will put a nice article about wood in their mag. don't mean they will insure your mill...If memory serves me corectly the one here in Miss had an article about the wood from Katrina and how some landowners were using it....but no ins for the mill....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

I remember that issue, Banjo.  It had a few orange mills, showed some homebrewed buildings.  Helped fuel the fire on my mill build. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

As I rember it ...it was a nicely presented piece...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!